main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A Introduction to the Author Forum

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    The aim of this forum is to create discussion about the authors who have written in the Star Wars universe, and books, their non Star Wars novels, their writing style, etc...

Having a seperate forum will reduce redundancy in the main Literature Forum, and the threads here can act as the Q&A sessions to the authors, like what was recently seen with Troy Denning. The beauty of this forum is that the threads will never sink into oblivion like the main Literature forum - as only moderators can start threads - which will only be required when new authors are signed to write in the Galaxy far, far away.

2. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    I'll be the first reply in the new forum, I'm honored. So how long is this on for, Gatherer?

3. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    I did a check, the only authors you haven't listed are : the authors of Episodes 1 and 6, the woman who wrote the New Rebellion, Jude Watson, Ryder Wyndham (sp) (Jedi Apprentice/Episode 1 Adventures guy), the Davids (responsible for GoDV), Donald F. Glut and whoever it was that wrote the first 3 Junior Jedi Knights books. And of course, the various SWAJ authors.

4. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    Quick but worthwhile question. What's the spoiler policy here? :)

5. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Also, there are no threads for James Kahn and Terry Brooks, authors of the RotJ and TPM novelizations respectively.

6. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Sounds like an excellent idea, Gatherer!!!

7. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    It's not a bad idea, Gatherer, and I think author forum might work if authors actually post here, but other forums like this...? I just don't see people continually discussing one specific book in one thread for an extended period of time. I believe that the threads would grow stagnant, and when someone finally did take up or start a new conversation in one, few people wouldn't check to see if another one had started.

Anyway, I'm not trying to criticize, it's a good concept, I just don't think that it will work the way you are hoping it will.

EDIT: Whoops, gotta get used to this new laptop!

8. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I'm gonna love this forum, thanks Gatherer. :)

9. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I second the vote for a Jude Watson thread, I love her and she is the person who introduced me to the EU.

10. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Ive posted on the first few threads. So far so good, TG !

11. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    // looks around new forum

Nice work, Gath!!

Looks good to me - like what you've done to the place.

Hope it works out.

12. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I can always add new authors, and I appreciate your suggestions.

Spoilers will be discussed in this forum, so you have been warned.

13. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I like this new forum Gatherer. I think it will work. Already we're seeing good things like people posting author links in the MWS thread.

14. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Add Jan Duursema and Jon Ostrander; they're awesome AND they post here semi-regularly.

Also, most of them (the authors) are friendly people; if you (as an admin) would write simple messages to them along the lines of, "Hey there, we've got this new forum, it would make fans happy if you'd pop in and say hi," most of them probably would.

15. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    How 'bout a thread for the greatest SW artist ever, Mr. Drew Struzan? :D And a possibly a thread for my favorite SW author Michael Reeves?

16. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Reaves has one, it's the third one up I think.

17. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Ah, my bad. Thanks. ;)

18. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Comic authors are notably absent. I suggest Veitch and Darko at least.

19. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    They are going to be added!

20. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Remember John Ostrander and Jan Duuresma (I know that I must have horribly misspelled their names).

21. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I still hold stringly that the lit stay intact, howver with the admins cutting off redundancy.

No sense of complaining here though, who knows, I may change my mind.

22. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Bringing finality to the proposals I have presented over the last week in the literature forum, it is obvious that the seperate books and comics forums are not wanted by a majority of the users in the literature forum, and of course, I accept that decision.

I will now delete the books forum. The reason that I did create it, was to trial it as previously mentioned, and to give everyone a working example of what I was proposing. I wasn't trying to be arrogant, dictative, or anything else that I have been lately labled! :)

However, there seems to be a lot of support for the author forum. That is why I want to have a final guage of support for this forum - I have created a poll in the literature forum - please have your say there. I will post a copy of this thread in EU Community, post it in the introduction of the author forum and JC Communications. Please bear in mind that I have communicated the existance of this forum to many authors, and I believe with your support, can work. It would be a shame to see it go.

Again, thanks for your patience over this past week, it has been trying, and I have learnt a lot. I tried to engage opinion and debate as best I could and involve everyone in the decision process.

Regards,

Michael "The Gatherer" Potts

23. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Gatherer, you are doing a tremendous job. Keep up the great work, I appreciate it and I am sure others do as well.

24. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I have a recommendation to make. I have no idea how'd you'd do it, though (perhaps simply inserting it to your first post here).

How about a clear statement of expected conduct by "regular users." Even if it is a simple re-statement of the alread-in-force basic posting guidelines we've all agreed to by registering here. That could help set the tone for this entire Authors & Artists forum.

After all, often those guidelines are played fast and loose by posters pushing the limit. I don't know what the mods had in mind, but that sort of behavior could be detrimental here.

I'm not saying to make Lit an anarchy no-man's land, but perhaps it may be something to consider to have a bit more stringent/polite posting ettiquette here.

Again, even if it is just a mere copying of established posting ettiquette - a reminder may be of good use. That way, people are aware up-front of what's expected.

25. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    I've been going through adding bibliographies; so far I've done:

Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    Walter Jon Williams
    Matthew Woodring Stover
    Dave Wolverton
    Michael A. Stackpole
    Greg Keyes
    Aaron Allston
    Michael Reaves

I might or might not do Tim Zahn, K-mac, and Roger Macbride Allen, but other than that I'm done I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.