main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A Introduction to the Author Forum

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Isbeth your right, Michal has been holding us all together eith Kadues absence, I say bravo and keep up the good work!

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    OOPS! I misread your first post in JCCom, I had had a different idea in mind [face_blush]

¤Night

3. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Chissdude10 - thanks for the kind comments!

IAmTheDarkSide - thankyou SO much for all of your hard work doing the author bio's and links... this helps makes the forum all the more successful place!

4. Howlrunner

Howlrunner Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2001
    While I was at Barnes and Nobles bookstore today I ran across two authors who have no mention here on the boards.

Donald F. Glut (Author of The Empire Strikes Back Novelization)

and

James Khan (Author of The Return of the Jedi Novelization).

I kind of doubt they'd stir up a lot of posts, but just thought I should mention it for the sake of completeness. =)

5. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Didn't Donald Glut also write one of the Marvel stories...issue 10 I think?

6. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Sorry everyone that I haven't been online as much in the last week... I am to add more authors and artists this coming weekend to the forum!

7. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Gatherer, if you can, could you get a spot for the Authors & Artists board in that pull-down menu? That would make it a bit easier to get to from one board to the next.

8. Cradok

Cradok Jedi Master star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    A complete bibliography in a single thread mightn't be a bad idea either.

9. JM-Anakin-Solo

JM-Anakin-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    The Gatherer - You should add a thread for Ralph McQuarrie.

10. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    A wonderful addition, Gatherer! :)

11. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    What makes all the threads official if you can't post unofficial threads here?

:D

// gets flamed to death

Rick McCallum loves you!

12. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I've got a suggestion (and as someone whom also seeks to encourage literary interests outside of Star Wars, this holds some resonance for me): a forum dedicated to, perhaps, "Other Non-SW Works of Series Authors" or something similar. This might be an excellent breeding-ground of sorts for interests in many writers' non-media writings...which, in fact, is what a good many of them want to encourage readers to sample. Some of them -- fairly or unfairly -- don't want to be simply known as "that Star Wars writer," particularly when they were widely known before they ever wrote that one hardcover novel set in the SW universe.

It's good for their midlist sales for crossover readers to sample their other, original works, and that, in fact, is a reason why many of them take a SW publishing contract, in order to hopefully get some wider exposure for themselves and for their more personal writings. If you bring this up with some of the authors on here -- believe me -- you'll have a good many of them enthusiastic about participating in discussions and willing to answer any questions that readers and fans may have in this new forum. You might even get some who were previously unwilling to participate interested, if it means that their other books might get picked up and read by the SW fan community. (Look at what happened this past year with Michael Stackpole and his plea to the SW fan community to buy his other, original books if they liked his Star Wars creations. It worked, and he now has some of them going back for re-printing, thanks to the sales brought on by those fans interested enough to give them a try. It can be very rewarding. And he's not the only one in this fix. Too many other writers are being jackslapped by the publishing conglomerates, who are only interested in one or two "big name" authors that are groomed for the national bestseller's lists...which leaves out about 98% or more of everyone else in the writing business.)

What do you think?

13. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I thought that's what this forum was? It also has discussions of there Star Wars novels, but there's enough room for both on one board.

14. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I'm actually thinking of a forum dedicated specifically to non-Star Wars works, which, for very complicated reasons, could bring into the fold many authors who might otherwise be disinclined to participate in a SW forum. They may not be too desirous of talking strictly SW on the main boards, and might like to discuss their other books/short stories/etc. in another venue. Does that sort of clarify what I was meaning, a little bit? :)

15. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    But Leto, let's face it--this IS a Star Wars message board.

Rick McCallum loves you!

16. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Leto, this forum is to discuss ALL the works for authors that have written in the Star Wars universe, both Star Wars AND non-Star Wars. Another forum would not be warranted.

17. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Is it too late to point out that Kathy Tyers does not have her own official topic to discuss The Truce at Bakura and everything else that she has written? I personally think TAB is one of the better SW novels out there.

18. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Actually, Kathy Tyers DOES have an offical discussion thread!:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=5816896&replies=35

19. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    It has been nearly 6 months since this Forum's inception... hopefully everyone has found it usefull, entertaining, informative and fun!

20. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    oh, and one more question if i may:

what do you as an artist think of the change in jedi garb from epI to epII?

ie. adi gallia and the council in epI are all dressed rather simply in true jedi nondescriptive brown robes.

suddenly in epII, we have luminara and shaak ti wearing beautiful and elaborate robes!

i would imagine that you are happy because you can do more with the artwork, but do you think it is proper for them?
    would you have done it this way?

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    In a way I feel kind of sorry for the authors. As their Star Wars fans, we bombard them with packs of questions, ranging from the interesting to the inane, the intriguing and insightful.

They have to balance their personal lives while also appearing openly to those that support their works. If anything, they have great patience.

An interesting conundrum indeed.

22. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    When I first created this forum, I turned off pruning... however I have noticed from time to time that the forum automatically locks older threads.

If that continues to happen, can you please let me know, and I will unlock the threads.

23. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Are there any more Authors & Artisits that you would like to be added to thsi forum for discussion?

24. Kyp_

Kyp_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2002
    I checked with upcoming releases, the only person missing was "Elizabeth Hand"
    Just for the record, it's :
    Apr 2003 Boba Fett: Maze Of Deception

25. VuaRapuungRules

VuaRapuungRules Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2002
    Hi Gatherer! Great forum!

Still rather nOOb to the TF.N Forums, and already I have a request :D I noticed Halagad asking for a Darko Macan thread, and he's still not here! Think it would be cool, especially with 'Jedi vs Sith' out, I read many different opinions on its manga-like style. Dunno what happened in those, like...10 months -maybe it came and went-, but I for one still'd like to see it :) Besides that, I think a Randy Stradley and/or Mike Richardson thread would be neat! I'm dying to ask about Crimson Empire III :p

Keep up the good work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.