main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Introduction to the comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TK-421 Is vader, Mar 24, 2015.

1. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    I have spent a long time in Ignorance of the comics. I have decided to change that.As I understand I am months late to the party.(only new canon comics count)Will my local bookstore still have back issues?(BTW I live in Ireland)are comics usually released in the son of dathomir format-all issues in one book?(Like I said....Im REALLY new to comics)How many series are canon and how many issues does each have?

2. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    if you're only into new canon, you've missed exactly nothing. all the new comics will be released in trade paperback format a few weeks/month after a single arc is finished. so, yes, they'll be in the "son of dathomir" format.

I'd still encourage you to catch up on a bit of the old canon, especially the prequel and old republic era, as they won't be touched by "the mouse" for quite some time. especially the ostrander/duursema arcs of the clone wars are great, as are the KOTOR comics. problably the best that are out there. you also can try the Legacy comics which are so far in the future, that disney won't touch that era for quite some time, too, and you should be able to fit the new canon into those stories quite easily.

3. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Must....resist.....temptation.....Need.....x-wing...miniatures.....Are the old republic comics easily avaliable however?Don't comics become hard to get after a few years?Might have a look at them if I can get them.Not the legacy stuff though.If its anything like the novels Im going to end up getting sick of references to events and characters I have never heard of.As for the clone wars....need.....x-wing.....can't....be...distracted.....

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Marvel are issuing the new stuff in trades Sept / Oct 2015.

They are also issuing the DHC stuff as part of their Epic trade line. So you're likely best to seek those out. No sign of an X-Wing volume as yet though.

Oh, one other thing: Legacy the books and the comics are two very different things! (Hint: The comics are far better.)

As to the availability of DHC trades, you can only go hunting for them and see if you get lucky! So, do you feel lucky?

5. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    So in sept/oct will there probabley be a post here about the trade paperbacks?And to be honest....I dont feel lucky.If it comes to the worst...The internet....has ways.Are trade paperbacks usually expensive?I saw SOD(Just realise what that spells)for 10 dollars.That seems like a good omen.Or is it a rare thing?

6. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I just picked up brand new copies of a KOTOR (trade paperback) tpb and a TOTJ tpb at a comic/game store. They had some old DHC tpbs and issues of the new comics too. They cost $17.99 and $18.99 USD.

Like you, I pretty much ignored the comics for a while. I'm now working on getting more of the old DHC tpbs I never read.

Personally, I like the tpbs better than single issues....mainly because I find them a bit sturdier. They also look prettier on my bookshelves, and I like having the complete story in one unit.

Here's a list of comics. I went through it and picked out the ones that sounded interesting to me.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I get the feeling the trades (the all-in-one-book-format) for Marvel's first run of Star Wars comics will be bountiful and plenty. Back issue hunt for now? Eh, they're moving pretty darn fast, hotcake fast even, so just trade-wait. And the trades won't sell out. Probably bombard bookstores will 'em too.

Good thing about trades? No single page ads for that week's "Agents of SHIELD" episode breaking up the story!

Cheerios4u98 and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Or those damn "Ultimate Spiderman" Ads

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'll take Agents of Sheild ads over those Ultimate Spiderman ads anyday.

BigAl6ft6 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  10. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Oh yeah.I read that marvel star wars issue one has 46 pages.(well I think it was issue one)how much of this is comic and how much is filler?

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    First, watch Dirty Harry so you can get the joke from my previous post.

You always have to factor in a certain amount of ads but it can vary from issue to issue.

Bought online with discount, trades will be cheaper than the issues in most cases, bought at full price they tend to be even.

As to what determines the availability of DHC material, bear in mind the following:
    • The popularity of a series will be the likely greatest determining factor on price and availability.
    • This does not mean you won't get lucky and grab a bargain.
    • For out-of-print material being willing to pay up to 2 or 3 times the price isn't unreasonable, anything more than that is. There are the Amazon price-gougers who list out-of-print items at stupidly high prices and there are sellers whose greater desire is to sell their items with pricing at a more logical level. Seek them out.
    • DHC do not have the licence therefore they cannot reprint the stuff, what there is is what is out there.
    Also, we have a Trades thread for talking collections so that'll likely get a boost in Sept, possibly earlier if people buy the Epic collections:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ssion-and-review-for-all-comic-tpbs.50003213/

12. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    About that thread Jedi Ben...

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, I need to get one of the mods to update the opening post - it's way out of date!

14. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Whats going on?what is THAT thread?
    *never mind.how did I not figure it out....

15. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    All current issues of the series coming out now by Marvel are available for individual digital purchase. If you want to jump into what's coming out now and have missed out on the physical issues, that's the way to catch up.

I have my comic shop pull all Star Wars titles for me, so I can come in anytime, and buy my books. All current Star Wars Marvel titles have it so you get a free digital copy along with the purchase of the physical copy - you just type in the code found in the issue at marvel.com/redeem - The physical copy costs the same as a digital copy, so I consider this the better deal.

If you want to start collecting the issues as they come out, I'd start by getting a local comic shop to do a pull list for you, and then either purchase the past issues digitally, or wait for the TPB, which will likely ALSO have a free digital copy with purchase. If the physical copy didn't have a free digital, I likely would have bought just the digital. But now I feel like that is wasteful use of money if I get both for the same price! :)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, until now there was no new trade products from Marvel! The last stuff was November last year!

EDIT: But Marvel's wallet-busting tsunami of product is about to hit in earnest so have requested an update to it.

Also, you'd have to know it existed in order to search for it, so kind of chicken-and-egg!:D

17. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Im gonna wait for the TPB.Easier to keep track of and tougher.How many will be released?Im kind of worried about them releasing 20-30 of them:and my wallet crying in anguish.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, it's not that bad....

Quest has now kindly updated the opening post of the Trades thread with the Marvel timetable I sent him.

Go take a look to see what kind of monthly pounding your wallet is about to take!

19. dragonpiece

dragonpiece Jedi Knight

Aug 4, 2014
    I know the Marvel comics app has most of the Star Wars comics on the app, so if you just want to read them and not own them physically, that's a option

20. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Is star wars volume one the new series?Am I right in my assumption that darth,kanan,leia, SW volume one and force awakens(avoiding that however because spoilers)are canon and everything else is reprints?I mean....125 dollars......my wallet cant buy things of that magnitude!And what does a comic having epic written on it mean?Oh and before I forget:thanks so much for being so helpful and patient with me.Its nice having so much help with my first step into a larger world.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Correct, the new stuff is:
    • Star Wars Volume 1
    • Darth Vader Volume 1
    • Leia
    • Kanan
    • Journey to the Force Awakens
    Epic collections are re-packaged DHC stuff in new combinations, possibly as oversized paperbacks at around 400 pages a time. Epic is just Marvel's title for their re-issuing old stuff in a new edition, with a good paint job.

As to whether you go after the big, heavy - seriously, they are Whosoever-Lifts-This-Book-will-be-Worthy-of-the-Power-of-Thor heavy books - Omnibuses you do not buy them full price! You pre-order with about 40% off and about 5 months to assemble the cash to pay for it and then it is, just about, manageable! Omnibuses are high-end, deluxe hardbacks - you are best to assume they will go out of print fast. They don't always, but when they do, the price skyrockets.

The prices in the Trades thread are the RRPs, Recommended Retail Price, but sellers are not bound by that so seek the bargains! From the RRP though you can estimate a likely discounted price in advance.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Added it up.At RRP its roughly 65 euro(without journey because I hate spoilers). Luckily I have a friend(not on this forum yet) who said he wants them too so I guess he can buy some and I buy some.Sharing is saving money!Now to convince him I should get vader not him.....

23. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Or you could wait for it to be added to marvel unlimited and read Star Wars and over 13.000 other comics for only 10 Dollars :D

24. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    when?But I want to holdsssss the precious comicssesss and move the pagggessss.....you keep nasty ebooks.

25. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    No 'Journey to the Force Awakens' on Amazon UK, Why? And when they start coming through, I wonder?

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk