main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Invisible Enemy -- (An-Paj!) COMPLETE and with thanks!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jane Jinn, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    WOW! I get busy for a few days and there are fantastic posts! I love Arwen and Trett, especially! I want to see this developed a lot more, but knowing Jane and starting to know Renata, it'll happen! YAY!

As for your questions, Renata, no we don't have a date yet. The challenge is that my dad is out of town until tomorrow, so we're going to my mom's concert on Friday and announcing it to the family afterwards. We're looking at either May or December. We will probably be doing it here in Salt Lake City, despite my desire to do it in Boston, where my friends will be able to come. But, luckily, my best friend called to say she was coming, even if it meant a plane trip to Utah. She's so sweet. I've got a lot of possibilities for the bridesmaids dresses from edenbridals.com. It's amazing how hard it is to find a single modest dress these days! And as soon as we get parental approval, I can call Hermana Valdiviezo, who wants to make my dress. As for the ring, we got it yesterday. 1/3 carat oval diamond on a yellow gold band, no adornments. I love it and it comes in a set with the wedding band, so I don't have to worry about picking out another one. :)

2. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    And I got post 50! YAY!

3. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Arwen nodded the unenthusiastic nod that every patient used when they'd been outmaneuvered, and hastily followed suit when An-Paj stood up. lol! Poor little patient. ;)

An-Paj is very good at reading people, which is good for a healer, of course. Poor Arwen...(Fraid I just might have started lurking in some of hers and Trett's stories... ;))

Thought you were here in Provo with me, Ishie? Or are ya just getting married in Salt Lake? (That's where my sister did, surprising eh? ;))

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    DO NOT WANT TO GET MARRIED IN PROVO LIKE EVERY OTHER BYU STUDENT!

And besides, Christmas break.

5. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    I thought they all got married in Salt Lake...*runs*

6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, let's see...

#1: dianethx, if you're reading, our deepest sympathies to you! Losing a parent must just be one of the worst things in the world, so know that we are thinking of you and sending you our love & strength to help you through this.

#2: Kitara, are you feeling better? I have been thinking of you & flu.

#3: Laughing about the cats, Tahi, I told Jane I might have to put the cat scene back in (I'd cut it, because I didn't think it advanced the plot, it was just cute...)

#4) Lunetta, you go lurk all you want. I hope you enjoy! If you want chronological, Jerjerrod's Gift would be one, Bonds & Beauty would be two, and Curse of the Jedi's Tomb (a good Halloween story!) would be three, and that would just about take you up to this. And everything else comes after.

#5) I'll tell you, Ish, I flew to Colorado to go to my penpal's wedding (first time I'd ever met her in person, and I'd been writing to her since the 4th grade!) I sympathize on the bridesmaids' dresses; could you find a nice pattern and just have them made? It couldn't be more expensive than buying them, could it? May or December are wonderful months (I AM a little biased, being a May baby!)

I think the next one is Jane's (she had more work to do at the beginning), and then me...

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    yeah, I could get them made. One of my friends from when I was a missionary is going to make my dress, but I don't know where I could find a good pattern. Everyone's pushing for December. Like "Well, you could do it in december before i leave for hawaii" or "you should do it in december or I'll be on my mission..."

ARGH!

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Thank you both, Jane and Mistress_Renata. It's really lovely of you to say. It's been pretty hard and will probably get harder for a while. But thank you for all your kind thoughts.

Yes, I have been reading but just not replying to anyone. I've been enjoying all of your major characters. I was not familiar with Trent and his Padawan but they are so sweet together. Could you provide a link so that I can read their history? You have me curious as to why Arwin's Master is her second. And I am familiar with Kiu and her very "colorful" Master. Good job so far. I'm really interested to see where you are going to take this.
    I probably will not be a regular poster for a while but, just to let you know that I am reading...

9. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Great story Jane and Renata! I'm loving this. I'm so glad I finally had time to come read today.

Arwen nodded the unenthusiastic nod that every patient used when they'd been outmaneuvered LOL! [face_laugh] If one of you isn't in the medical profession, you certainly have me fooled.

This is totally fascinating. I want to know what happened before with the Princess too. There is something very alarming about blaster wounds on a pregnant belly. If they were getting her away from somewhere dangerous I am feeling a bit worried that that particular danger might follow them to their current refuge. And I really, really want to know what is up between the Princess and the Purple Cloaked Jedi. (Now if that isn't a great title for a fairy tale ala SW I don't know what is.) And it looks like I have some catching up to do on Jane's stories. I don't remember a purple cloak, and I am sure I would remember that. I'd be jealous for one thing <kd wanders off muttering under her breath - now where did I put that purple velvet>

On a much more serious note, my deepest sympathies to Diane.

KD

10. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Diane- I am so sorry to hear what happened. My condolences.

Ishtar Congratulations. And good luck finding bridesmaid dresses. When my friend got married last year, we went through so many trampy looking dresses that we gave up and my mom made them! David's Bridal is a national chain, but alot of their stuff is sleeveless or off the shoulder. I don't know about the rules in your sanctuary, but I was raised to make sure men's heads and women's shoulders and arms were covered in the temple.

Jane/Renata Arwen didn't seem happy, but she really didn't fight him either.

11. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Congratulations, Renata, on becoming a mod! I was pleasantly surprised that it was you, but you're the perfect choice; not too conservative (like me), not too liberal, not too strict, but not too lenient ... just right in every way! :)

DarthIshtar Good luck in finding just the right date, and bridesmaid dresses, and everything else. I did look up Sabrina Nicole for you, but it was all prom dresses, and I don't think that's what you were looking for. Probably better to have someone make them.

padawan lunetta An-Paj is very good at reading people, which is good for a healer, of course. Poor Arwen...(Fraid I just might have started lurking in some of hers and Trett's stories...) Don't just lurk, use your PM feature! ;)

dianethx There are links to Renata's stories in her profile, just click on her name. Happy reading -- well, as happy as things can be under the circumstances. :)

KnightDilettante If one of you isn't in the medical profession, you certainly have me fooled. We're not! I don't know about Renata, but I've had plenty of chances to observe doctors, mostly because of my kids, and that's where all my stuff comes from.

If they were getting her away from somewhere dangerous I am feeling a bit worried that that particular danger might follow them to their current refuge. I didn't think of that ... but we're not quite finished with the story. Maybe that would be a good way to get Hachas and Kiu out on a mission again. Thanks for the idea! :) Hate to disappoint you, though, that there really isn't anything between this princess and the Purple Cloaked Jedi! Still, it is a great title and might just give me a plot bunny for another Hachas/Kiu story (don't hold your breath, though, it might take a loooong time for me to write it.)

The story that introduced Kiu and Hachas is "Walk Before You Run", and there's a link in my profile.

PadawanKitara Arwen didn't seem happy, but she really didn't fight him either No, she's usually a good girl.

Now, you're all cat lovers and you want the cat scene put back in, right? Right! Just tell Renata!

Day Five, startime:

?Where?s Nerian?? An-Paj asked, sinking down onto the couch in An-Darste?s apartment.

?At school, of course," An-Darste said, seating herself next to him.

?At this hour??

?Batangans are nocturnal, remember??

An-Paj grunted. He?d actually forgotten until that moment, because the Chapter House was anything but nocturnal.

"That Alta Corona?s not nocturnal, though. I wonder if she?s got one of those overactive thydroid glands.?

An-Paj smiled at the reminder of how their young son had once rendered the word "thyroid" when practising his reading on one of his father's medical reports. ?What makes you think that??

?The way she scarcely waited until the last piece of furniture was in place before she started handing out schedules. Afor works in administration from the crack of dawn to suppertime, Hwaet has the early morning shift in the cafeteria, Fyrre can sleep in, she doesn't have to be there until right before lunch but then she works until after supper, and Commander Corona even wanted me to start cutting hair the day after we arrived!"

An-Paj was secretly amused at the title 'Commander Corona'. ?But you didn?t??

"No. I had a good look at the room and set up my equipment, though. It's a nice view, isn't it? Every room here has a nice view."

"Mmm," An-Paj agreed. ?I think that Mistress Corona suffers more from ?understaffed chapter house? than ?overactive thyroid,? though.?

"That would make sense. Still, the only choice I had was to put a big notice on the door saying that An-Darste?s Hair- and Furdressing Salon was closed until further notice. I?m not sure how I?m supposed to do it all during the daytime, and still get the kids to and from school at night. Maybe Silf will have to take over the chauffeuring. Or Taec??

?Sounds like we need a Family Council,? An-Paj suggested.

?Or maybe Commander Co

12. Seraphena

Seraphena Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    I love it!!. Watching An-Paj in action is a mixutre between wanting to sympathize and wanting to laugh out loud. :)

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, boy. An-hael at a new school. Poor her, poor teachers... I know how she feels. Great post.

14. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Welcome, Seraphena!

Thank you all! I swear, I didn't even realize they were looking for another moderator until Amidala_Skywalker PMed me with an invitation!

Ishtar: there should be some lovely patterns at the fabric stores in your area. For bridesmaids' dresses, that is...

And thank you for the compliment, KD, but our medical knowledge is entirely courtesy of our wonderful scientific advisors (I mentioned them before, but I'll say it again, because they deserve it: Emma3Jane and Lady Padme.

So I'm tomorrow?

15. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    PM's...hmmmm ;)

Cute scene with An-Paj and one of his wives...funny that she's having problems with one of his daughters. ;) Teacher out with the flu eh? At least she isn't teaching...but did she choose to stay home before she was contagious? Hmmm...

Edit: Put in the cats! :-D I love them, even my old grouchy one. ;)

16. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    "Male admiration is the cure for every female complaint," - smart lady!

Put the cats in please- If Sarah or her kitty were here, I'm sure they would want to read about them.

17. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    "Here, pussy, pussy, pussy." ;) [hands Jane a tissue]

I love An-Paj's humour. And I especially loved the little sweet moment at the end.

"Sometimes old injuries don't want to be completely forgotten," Ohhhh! Tell me about it. Where is a good healer when you need one? I really like the spiritual healer idea, too.

Yes - I'm also fascinated by the Jedi with the purple cloak. For some really weird reason I keep picturing Wes in his Adumari cloak!!! Am I going slightly mad? [don't answer that]

Diane - I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My Mum died in June and even though she was very sick, it's still a shock. Parents live on though in memories and in us and their grandchildren. I can see both my parents in my kids sometimes. It's kind of comforting and gives a sense of continuance.

18. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Seraphena Welcome to the story! :) So glad you love it.

DarthIshtar You know how An-Hael feels at a new school with new teachers?

padawan lunetta Yes, the teacher is out with the flu, but as for contagious, we won't say just yet.

PadawanKitara Yes, An-Darste is a smart lady! (At least I hope she is, and not based too awfully much on me.)

Tahi Wes in his Adumari cloak ... did I create Hachas before I read that book, or after? I can't remember now, but maybe I was subliminally influenced. ;)

Renata Yes, you're up next. And you see that everybody wants the cat scene, so put it back in. :)

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Too many times, Jane! Two high schools, two middle schools, three elementary schools. I also was in the MTC. My attitudes about new schools never really changed.

20. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Hi, everyone! I can't think of anything witty to say... the Sox did their usual, so I'm a bit down today :( ... Anyway, I am up next, so here it is, and okay, I'll put the cat scene back in once I remember where it goes. :D

Day Seven -Suntime

It didn't take very long to settle into the Chapter House. Arwen rose unwillingly in the mornings, not wanting to leave the soft warmth of her bed to face the chilly dawn. But there was a routine to follow when not in the field, a routine she had followed from her earliest memory. Rise and dress, then join the rest of the community for morning meditations and warm ups. She'd then hurried to Trett, since by tradition the time before breakfast was the time to meet with one's Master. She'd showed him her schedule for the week, half-hoping he'd protest that he needed her. But he had only nodded, looking over the classes, and commented that she needed to add in some saber classes and physical training if the Healers had declared her sound. They shared breakfast on the terrace outside his room, admiring the beauty of the woods, and then there was work. She had gone to the Quartermaster, helping sort piles of tunics and cloaks, then to the lecture halls, where a few other students waited for the holovid connection to the instructor on Coruscant to appear. Lunch with Trett, and now she was in a sunny workroom in the old wing, sitting on a bench and staring up at a frame of tapestry with a lot of trepidation.

Master Yyourn was insectoid, a Bikk. He had cheerfully given her an explanation of the stitches that she was to use, punched a button to overlay a holograph of the pattern they were trying to replicate over the tapestry, and dropped a heap of wool in various shades of yellow by her side before scuttling away.

Arwen looked up at the tapestry. It really was beautiful, an abstract depiction of a tall Ulundi woman pouring runes and symbols into the open palms of waiting initiates. It must depict Master Jianne Pat-sen, one of the Five Founders, who had established the Teachers' House. Teaching was one of the five disciplines, an important one. It was one way the Order continued.

Each of the other disciplines was represented there as well, in the color traditionally associated with that discipline. Some were hard to make out, but she could see the Calamarian, Casni Tifft, who founded the House of Speakers, in red; and Odo Nourra, the great Seer, who had written the mantaras and foreseen the Sith Wars, half-obscured in a swirl of dark purples. She returned her attention to the frame in front of her.

The threads were worn, frayed, and there were holes in the canvas where something had nibbled away at them. The tapestry had been carefully cleaned and restretched on a frame to make it ready for repair, and the underlying canvas repaired and rewoven. Now she need to fill in the tiny stitches. Bewildered, she peered at the pattern grid, then tried to figure how to count the squares.

The young Padawan beside her smiled. "Stuck?" she asked.

"Not just stuck. I don't know how to start." She could see the other girl also had a pile of yellows, even more vivid and vibrant than her own, and was slipping a needle in and out of the letters with great delicacy.

"It seems confusing at first," said the girl, "but it's not that tricky. This is the key, see? Dark gold, medium dark gold, medium gold, light gold and groats." She rearranged the wool in Arwen's lap so that Arwen could see the progression of shades.

"Thread the needle with two strands," she continued, demonstrating, "then reach underneath, like this, pulling it through the back of the stitches already there-"

"Wait, how?" protested Arwen.

"Just bend over and look." It was pretty simple, Arwen admitted.

"Then," continued the girl, "you look for the symbol on the chart-" she pointed "-and count squares...one, two, three...okay, five. See, that's where this color starts. And it goes up for five squares-" she demonstrated, the needle flashing in and out "-go to the next row, skip two squares, s

21. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Sure it LOOKS simple enough but I'm sure I would be capable of making a sloppy mess out of the poor tapestry. ;) Looks like Arwen's found a friend, which is good. I feel her pain about getting up in the morning too...my family calls my room the dragon's lair because of my waking habits :-D

Oh I have it on good authority that you two have been reviewed in the review challenge thread. :-D

22. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    And such reviews, Lunetta & Ishtar! [face_blush] I am enjoying that thread; I keep wanting to put in my review, and I had found such a promising Purge-era story somewhere in the Saga threads, and now I can't remember the title! :_|

23. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Very nice. You may think me odd, but I find that kind of needle work to be soothing.

24. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Yes, thank you for the wonderful reviews, padawan lunetta, DarthIshtar, and Melyanna, too, if you're still lurking. And thank you again, padawan lunetta, for the kind words about "Walk Before You Run." I'm feeling warm and fuzzy all over! :)

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Oooh, lovely posts!!

Hehehe.. I just now looked at Arwen's last name, Istarri... Someone is a Tolkin addict, methinks. ;)

Great story! ANd belated-congrats, Ren!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.