main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Invisible Enemy -- (An-Paj!) COMPLETE and with thanks!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jane Jinn, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This is not good. Vomit that is red indicates internal bleeding!!! (assuming an iron bloodcell type). That kind of illness is particularly hard to deal with - probably rapid and vicious. Not good at all....

2. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Not good at all. Of course we haven't been told if the Batanga bleed red or a different color blood

3. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Aargh! Sorry - had one of those weeks which make you feel like you've run a marathon and now it's the holiday weekend!! No time to write or read. I'll post some feedback as soon as I can. :)

4. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    DarthIshtar Uh ... your heart is now a pile of puke? Or is it that my brain only seems to work part-time these days? Okay ... thank you for the Great post anyway! :)

padawan lunetta You think An-Paj would have been more help? Well, we shall see.

Seraphena Yes, it looks like trouble is starting. :)

dianethx We'll assume an iron bloodcell type, so no, this is not good at all.

PadawanKitara The Batangans bleed red. Definitely not good.

Tahi Yes, I've had one of those weeks, too. I thought it would be over to-day, but then I suddenly realized there was something else I had to do ... busy again! Which holiday is it over there?

I think it's Renata's turn for the next post.

5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Rousting myself from afternoon somnolence... don't know why but I hit 3:30 and the energy level did a nosedive!

So... Hello, everyone! The plot thickens... and I think I'll go back to sleep... :D

Through the open door of the conference room, An-Afor could see when Alta Corona leaned back in her chair.

"I'm sorry I cannot give you an answer more to your satisfaction, Ambassador Nahz," the Jedi Master said. "The harvest and mineral concessions were finalized several months ago."

The younger Batangan growled deep in his throat, but his superior silenced him by flicking one ragged ear. His muzzle was white with age, and the leather belts and bandoliers he wore were laden with beautifully-worked medallions, buckles and insignias, attesting to his high status. An-Afor wondered if his wife ever got poked in sensitive places while hugging him. Maybe he was too dignified to hug, though. Maybe his wife was just as stiff and unyielding as he was.

"Mistress Jedi," he said politely. "The harvesting and mineral rights concessions for Sarawaksala were granted by your Order to the Brightstar Development Corporation and the Outbound Trade Alliance, under the sponsorship of the Batangan government."

Crossing in front of the door and leaning down to the tiny refrigerator that was set in the ante-chamber of the conference room, An-Afor pulled out the containers of food that An-Hwaet had prepared and brought up earlier that day. Moving quickly, she arranged the various selections on the tray.

"True," she could hear Alta agree. "However, when the Alliance's charter for the colonists on Sarawaksala expired, it was not renewed. The Jedi honored the original trade treaty with the Batangan government until its expiration. During that time, those companies did very little to maintain their claims."

"How could we?" barked the younger one. "Without workers-"

"Khaja!" The Ambassador was getting annoyed; that was obvious by his tone of voice. An-Afor had a mental picture of the younger delegate sinking back in a sulk, his ears flattened against his head. She'd finished the tray just in time; Mistress Corona would need a distraction at this very moment. Picking it up, An-Afor entered and set it down on one end of the conference table. There was a collective feeling of relief in the air, plus a touch of surprise from Mistress Corona that seemed to be connected to the bottle of tirsterberry juice. She obviously hadn't been expecting such a delicacy, and An-Afor could tell she'd definitely appreciate it.

"Mistress, we had assumed that the treaty would eventually be resumed," the Ambassador went on, accepting a glass and holding it to the light for a moment, pretending to admire the pale green liquid while secretly wondering what it was. He closed his eyes to take a cautious sip, then nodded in relieved delight and sipped again.

"But the colonists petitioned to be granted the harvesting rights," Alta pointed out, taking a sip from her own glass. The Ambassador's eyes flashed open again in annoyance as she went on. "We reviewed both claims. They had been assuming most of the burden of the concessions, and when it was discussed, we felt that it made the most sense to turn it over to them so that they could continue. They are now free to negotiate directly with Brightstar and Outbound regarding future trade treaties, and seem eager to do so. The work on Sarawaksala will continue, but the workers will have a stronger voice regarding their own labor, while the homeworld companies will continue to prosper."

Having handed the third glass of juice to the younger delegate, who eagerly took a rather large swallow, An-Afor reached next for small plates of dried meat sticks glistening with large crystals of kuvium, and offered one to each delegate. They accepted politely, but An-Afor felt a slight ripple of revulsion run through both of them, and neither made any motion to eat. She frowned. Had she prepared something the wrong way? Offered the wrong meal at the wrong time of day? She thought she'd done her

6. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I see. So the plot thickens again. And is there something in the food -dried meat sticks glistening with large crystals of kuvium ? The two did not want to eat the sticks. And the Ambassador's thoughts were dark and full of amenable workers and labs.... Not good....

Looking forward to more...

7. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    hmmm...what kind of meat? Ewww- never mind. I don't want to go there

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Most likely not. Great post.

9. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    "Flying a heavy goods transporter is like healing people?" An-Hael asked facetiously, almost sneering at the thought. :D I loved that line. I also like the point made about people using their talents. That's very true.

Imagine keeping tabs on 6 wives! You'd need a good secretary. ;)

I sounds like Ossar women need to get together with Mantrusian women - well the Mantrusia of old that is. ;)

I''ll write some feedback on the next posts later - have to cook dinner now. :)

10. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Ohhh sounds like this virus was man made...(or maybe sentient made? ;)) I could use an Ossar around me with men I meet ;)

11. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I think Padawan Lunetta is onto something. And I think I know what the vector is. And I think I don't like the ambassador or his aide. :mad: And I think it is time for me to go back to the beginning and re-read and see if I still think I'm right.

And I think Active Topic Notification is having trouble of some kind. Because it hasn't been notifying me - or if it has it has taken an awfully long time about it.

KD

12. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    dianethx Yes, the plot thickens again!

PadawanKitara It's not human meat, if that's what you're thinking.

DarthIshtar Great post. Thanks -- in Renata's name, too. Hmm, maybe I should let her do the replies -- too late now.

Tahi Yes, we all have different talents. Even if we're all writers here, we all have different areas where we shine more, I think. It's something I've consciously become aware of in the past few years, now that I'm growing older and hopefully wiser.

As for An-Paj keeping tabs on six wives, well, the Ossar are naturally telepathic, so maybe that helps.

padawan lunetta You could use an Ossar around you? Well, let's see, I'm sure An-Paj has got some nephews or cousins somewhere ... ;)

Knight_Dilettante I've heard lots of things about Active Topic Notification, most of them bad. Don't depend on it, just check in once a day.

As for the virus, you'll all just have to read more, won't you? Thanks for all your comemnts so far!

"Stop looking at me like that," Hachas said, powering down his lightsaber and turning to face Kiu completely.

"Like what?" Kiu asked, though she had an inkling of what he meant. They were in one of the smaller training rooms, and although she had been trying to concentrate on that sequence of the kata that she was still having trouble with, she hadn't been able to completely forget her dream. Belatedly, she powered down her own lightsaber.

"Like you're afraid I'm going to fall down and die in the next instant. I'm not, you know! Even if your dream comes true, it's only my finger that gets broken, not my neck."

"I'm sorry, master," Kiu murmured.

"And stop thinking about it. Keep your concentration on the here and now, where it belongs, and not on some uncertain future."

"I'm try -- I want to, master, but I just can't get it out of my head!" Kiu protested. "It was so real! And I don't want to hurt you!"

"You'd better not," he laughed. "But if you can't get it out of your head, I guess I'll have to help you."

He engaged his lightsaber again, and Kiu barely had time to switch hers on as well before his blue blade swooshed down towards her shoulder, accompanied by a battle cry that would have done a Wookiee proud. The fight took them back and forth across the room, and although Kiu did her best to keep her master's lightsaber away from her, she wasn't very successful. The blade singed her leg, her arm, her other leg, and her other arm with depressing regularity. It didn't help that she knew Hachas was holding back, too, not using his full strength. How she wished she could be one of the really good fighters in the Temple - as good as Qui-Gon Jinn! Then she'd be the one pounding Hachas into the floor, instead of the other way around. She tried to imagine what the venerable master would do, and was rewarded with a vision of strong muscles, fast reflexes enhanced even more by the Force, and aerial somersaults.

Somersaults? Where in the galaxy had that thought come from?

Well, it was worth a try, wasn't it? She saw herself sailing blithely through the air -- it wasn't as though it would be the first time she'd done one - and bringing her lightsaber down on the top of Hachas' head in a crowning blow that would end the match and make her the winner. Retreating from a jab at her mid-section, not seeing Hachas' confusion as she continued to retreat several steps more than were necessary, Kiu then ran forward and launched herself into the air.

Instead of coming out of the somersault with her lightsaber correctly placed, she found that she was about to land on her behind with the lightsaber aimed towards her own head. A moment of panic engulfed her, but before she could correct the somersault in any way, she barrelled into Hachas, who had let go of his lightsaber with one hand in order to catch her with the Force. They fell backwards in a heap.

Crying out in pain from the two lightsabers burning into her, Kiu moved to roll off, and Hachas screamed as well.

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Had to laugh at this post. Walk before she could run - will Kiu ever learn??? Wanted to be Qui-Gon Jinn. LOL! And she wanted to call a stretcher...double LOL!! So, I guess, this means that Kiu has visions that come true....could be useful or horrible!

Keep it up!

14. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Finally caught up. Yes I can see that telepathy would be very useful. I guess that explains why An-Paj was so annoyed with himself for not noticing An-Taec's unhappiness.

"Yes, an intimate dinner in the best restaurant in town," added An-Silf. "Just the twelve of us." :D

I loved the cat scene. That is SO cat-like. We've had a few old Toms like that one. Hmm, I see the dosease is making progress. Oh dear.

An-Afor wondered if his wife ever got poked in sensitive places while hugging him. Maybe he was too dignified to hug, though. Maybe his wife was just as stiff and unyielding as he was. I loved that bit. It gave us a wonderful insight into An-Afor's character. I'm enjoying the way you both give us all these little hints about the wives to show their personalities.

Hmm. The old ambassador is a suspicious sort isn't he - thinking the drink might be poisoned or something. And the image of scientists doesn't augur well at all. I gather they're generating the plague somehow. I like the way you have the Jedi involved in Republic affairs the same way as in The Approaching Storm. It's good to see them in their old roles.

I laughed at the way poor Kiu surprised Hacha. She is a bit of a gumbie, but very appealing. Also interesting that she she foresaw that scene. She's obviously quite strong in at least one aspect of the Force.

Very enjoyable posts. You have a nice balance between action and inside views so we're continually getting into the characters' heads and learning about them. :)

15. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Jane I think you are right, time to start keeping track of things on my own. Not easy but then what things of value really are?

Love the battle cry, glad he's not my master. I'm not sure I'd really appreciate being distracted from a worry by being beaten soundly in a sparring match. Ouch.

KD

16. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Kiu is still being Kiu. We can't really expect her to change :)

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    *sigh* Now I see why you hang out with Jemmiah's crowd of writers. You want everyone to be miserably accident prone, the way I am. :) Great post, I'd have to say, rather amusing about the trying to be Qui-Gon Jinn.

18. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    dianethx Kiu might eventually learn to walk before she runs, but not to-day or to-morrow. Learning certain things is a lifelong process sometimes. And having visions that come true can be both useful and horrible.

Tahi I'm glad you think Kiu is appealing, even if she is a bit of a gumbie. I'm not quite sure what gumbie means, though I think I have a good idea. One day I'd like to be able to write a strong, confident female character, though, one who's quite a bit less like myself.

Knight_Dilettante Hachas is very unique, yes, in more ways than just his appearance.

PadawanKitara Oh, I'm sure Kiu will evolve slowly as she gets older.

DarthIshtar Uh, well, actually I haven't "hung out" with Jemmiah's crowd of writers for well over a year now. Anyway, Kiu is based on me; her talents lie outside the realm of the physical. I suppose she's accident prone because she's often thinking of the outcome and not concentrating on the moment.

Oh, I was just about to post the next part, but then I saw that it was definitely Renata's.

19. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Interesting how Kiu tried to make the vision come true...and yet not on purpose. Poor Hachas...and Kiu, trying to be Qui-Gon. Hehehehehe. Walking before running again, maybe she'll learn not to when she's a Knight? ;)

Now the dream she can't remember but was dark, somehow I think it'll come true, or at least close to!

I'd love one of An-Paj's nephews or cousins or something. ;)

Can't wait for more...*looks expectantly at Renata* :-D

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I say hang out because I'm still reading through The Lion Sleeps Tonight. Man, it's the only story where I've been invested for so long without writing a thing.

21. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Hi, everyone! This one is mine? I thought it was Jane's! We passed it back & forth & I couldn't remember anymore!

Personally, I want to hear the story of how Hachas got his bathing suit! [face_devil]

Glad you liked the cat scene, Tahi!

KD, Kitara, are you both doing okay? I am following the news of the wildfires and doing some worrying... :(

Back at the Chapter House after a delicious meal made up mostly of different kinds of meat in different kinds of marinade, An-Paj avoided the direct path to the infirmary and went instead to check on Knight Trett. He'd caught a very strong thought from the man the day before, but there'd been no chance to respond before Trett had fallen asleep from exhaustion. Hopefully, Arwen wouldn't be there this time, and he'd have the chance to talk to the knight candidly. If not, he could always settle for doing the daily dose of Force-healing that Trett needed, and try to come back later.

Sensing that Trett was alone, An-Paj knocked once and opened the door without waiting for an answer. The knight was standing in the middle of the room, frozen in mid-movement in a swinging position which An-Paj recognized as one of the motions from a weaponless routine. Trett looked sheepishly at An-Paj and a drop of sweat rolled down his forehead into his eye. As his right arm began to tremble noticeably, he let it drop bonelessly to his side, and a strong wave of guilt and chagrin rolled off him.

"I'll assume that you were exercising and not lying in wait for me," An-Paj said. Seeing his patient suddenly turning pale, he pointed the fingers of one hand at the nearby chair and pulled it over with the Force, guiding Trett into it.

"Exercising," Trett gasped, trying to recover.

"Is there any particular reason you're anxious to hurry things along?" An-Paj continued, stepping back so that he wasn't looming over the man.

Trett's thoughts screamed that yes, there was, but his lips didn't move, and he didn't meet An-Paj's eyes. He looked, in fact, like a sulky padawan, disgruntled at having been caught doing something wrong. What is bothering him so much?

"Is it just because you feel guilty about neglecting your padawan, or is there something else?"

Trett stared at him, absolutely shocked that An-Paj knew, then collected himself and looked away again. An-Paj could hear his mental question of Isn't that enough? clearly and distinctly, and was puzzled anew by the fact that he could hear the man so clearly. Eventually, Trett murmured, "There's, uh, nothing else."

Not entirely convinced, An-Paj waited, but the knight did not elaborate, merely stared down at the floor, thinking about Arwen with increasing intensity. There was worry and guilt and ... a touch of determination there, too. A flicker, quickly supressed, about a message? It was too quick for An-Paj to catch.

Eventually, An-Paj decided that the moment to talk had been lost, and came around behind him instead. When he placed his hands on Trett's shoulders, Trett jumped with surprise, having been lost in thought, and An-Paj explained, "Let's see how you're doing."

A Force probe of the knight's wounds did not show satisfactory results, and An-Paj frowned slightly. Thinking back to the information he'd read from the data chip, he asked, "Wiyella Lluworit's your regular healer, isn't she?"

Trett froze into unnatural stillness, but his heart literally began to beat faster. Now THAT'S interesting. For one single moment, An-Paj sensed a mixture of intense feelings radiating from the younger man; light, joy, despair, and attraction to the point of yearning.

The yearning part was immediately battened down, but the despair and light remained as the knight struggled to casually answer, "Um, yes."

"I might want to talk to her, compare healer's notes," said An-Paj, equally casual, but watching for a reaction.

"Oh." The light diminished somewhat, and the despair deepened.

"As long as I'm here, let's do your daily Force-healing session, and then you can rest some more," An-Paj deci

22. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    So does Trett have a "thing" for the lady healer??? He does seem to be a bit distracted and he is worried about Arwen. Is he still worried about her being taken away from him? He needs to relax. Unfortunately, I assume that he won't be able to - in the very near future...

And An-Paj was eating meats...oh, oh. I hope that wasn't a mistake!

23. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Aww poor Trett, not even getting his pretty healer to come help him. ;) I understand his pushing himself, I sure don't like letting any illness or injury tell me what I can or can't do...no matter how stupid I look. ;) Loved how An-Paj backed away so he wasn't looming, not wanting to scare or make Trett any more uncomfortable I guess. Wonder where Arwen is...

24. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Trett and his healer- how sweet. IS he afraid that Arwen will be jealous?

Thanks for your concern Renata. I'm safe for now since the winds have died down. But I wouldn't be surprised if HHP and Miana are still waiting for evac orders. Where does KD live? I know she is in CA, but not where.

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Hmm, heart racing, frozen in place, all because of one name. :) I wonder wonder wonder...

Enjoyed that post, Renata.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.