main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Iran — now discussing the nuclear deal and Congress

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 14, 2009.

1. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Mossad FTW [face_devil]

2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    [face_thinking]

3. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Iran's Daily Show

Regarding the Arab enmity toward Iran that Violet mentioned, he is right that it's nothing new, and the reasons are rather simple: Iran/Persia has historically been nervous about their Arab neighbours, and has for this reason always tried to be one step ahead of them in military might. This, in turn, makes the Arabs feel uneasy. So you have a self-sustaining circle of mistrust.

In addition to this, take away the military superiority, or attempt at it, and the Iranians are still Shia, while Arabs are predominantly Sunni. They don't like that. There are Sunni pockets within Iran, but they only constitute about 10%.

Take away the conservative Shia Iranians (excluding the Sunnis here, for the sake of argument), and the remainder of Iranians are comparatively liberal or atheists or anti-religious or combinations of these, which the Arabs like even less, especially when its their close neighbour.

Take away the anti-religious sentiment, and the Iranians are still not Arab, and are a deeply patriotic and proud people, their pride heavily built on the fact that they came out of the Muslim conquests with their language and cultural identity intact, while far older civilizations than the Persians, like the various peoples of Mesopotamia and the Levant, in addition to the Egyptians, all lost their languages and became arabized. That the Iranians take distinct pride in their non-Arabness isn't very friendship building either.

These reasons all combine to a general Arab resentment to Persians that has long historical roots.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Two more Iranian physicists targeted

5. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    US Navy style guide orders navy personnel to use the term Arabian Gulf to describe the Persian Gulf

Furore ensues in the US Navy's Facebook page, to which the page responded with this statement, saying

This struck the Iranian spammers of the Navy's fanpage as a rather idiotic reasoning to mislabel a strategic waterway with an internationally recognized and standardized name, to which I'm inclined to agree. The reasoning amounts to "We know we're calling it the wrong name, but those who are our buddies for the moment like it when we do that, so we're gonna continue to do that." So the spammers continued. To which the page administrators issued another statement informing those who have strong feelings about the subject that the page administrators are in no way the decision makers on this topic, and provided links to petitions, where the spammers could get their voices heard in a more constructive way. After this, their numbers rapidly declined, but there are still some ill-informed people still going at it.

In any case, the link they gave was to the National Iranian American Council (NIAC), who have prepared a petition in response to the Navy's decision in which it is explained why acknowledging the incorrect term may have dire and adverse consequences for the region, in addition to the fact that doing so is just plain wrong, according to the UN, who have on repeated occasions, the latest in 2006, stressed that only the term Persian Gulf is correct and formally recognized. The petition can be found here.

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Meh, I think using "Arabian Gulf" in an unofficial under-the-table manner is fine, especially if it's in the context of working with regional allies who might insist on calling it that for the moment. Besides, it's our business as to what we call it. Even if Persian Gulf is ultimately the proper name for it, there's no reason to take crap from Iranian ultranationalists trying create controversy.

7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, this is just more Iranian nonsense IMO. The majority of the countries bordering the redacted Gulf are Arabic, obviously. If Iran is claiming it should be called "Persian" because Iran is the most populous nation bordering it, then we ought to switch "Atlantic" to "United States Ocean" and "Pacific" to "People's Liberated Ocean" as well.

8. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    Well, we do have the Indian Ocean... ;)

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Sure, but that's a distinct minority for important bodies of water. :p

10. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    There is also the Gulf of Mexico, Gulf of Oman, Arabian Sea, South China Sea, Great Australian Bight and the Norwegian Sea. So naming a section of the ocean by its close neighbor is not an uncommon practice. As for the naming of the Persian Gulf, I don't see it as an issue when the Navy only does it in communication with Arab allies, but in general, I think established names should remain because changing them always carries with it cheap dirty political points, and you open up a whole can of worms of ethnic chauvinism. It will inevitably be viewed as an insult when established tradition is suddenly changed. My 2 cents.

11. Mandalorethe1st

Mandalorethe1st Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2010
    Personally, I think that we should bomb the crap out of their military nuclear and economic targets with B-2s. then, tell them to shut up or next time it will be B61's on their population centers. The strong giveth and the strong taketh. my two cents.

12. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ml_iran_economy
    Iran's just had to cut its fuel subsidies, which will be a very big deal as with the state of it's economy, this will not exactly win people over to the government's side of things.

13. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    At least Iran's not manufacturing any Bipedal tanks capable of firing ICBM's from almost any location on Earth so we can rest assured on that, right? :p

14. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Amdeanjad was not the first muslim dictator leader to deny the holocaust. In fact heres the real people who helped the nazis was this mufi leader. I am not bashing muslims I am just bashing the extremists from the middle East and there relationship with Hitler.

Keep in mind in the book mein kampf hitler demonizes Arabs too. I am not on the other hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBFBvceJvIU&feature=related

Anyways back to the topic one Iranian assassination nuclear physicists.

15. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
  16. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    What's your point here?
    Most of the politicians in Israel are Islamaphobic.

17. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Yeah and the got a right to be because they are getting attack all the time and they as in Israel are fighting for there survival. Keep in mind extremist from the middle east did make a pact with the nazis. But they did not know what they got themselves in it because Death was coming for them too.

Why do Terrorist in the middle east get a pass on hating and killing jews? If your country was getting death threats all the time you would want to anti-up and do something about. keep in mind I am jewish!!!!!

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Israel stopped having to worry about "national survival" in 1973 when the Arabs gave it's physical destruction their absolute best shot, nearly won, and then lost anyways. Terrorists will never be able to bring israel down because it's internal politics are not to their favor.

And another thing: Nobody cares if you're Jewish.

19. Mandalorethe1st

Mandalorethe1st Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2010
    Israel still has to worry about survival! Do you know what you are talking about?
    Iran wants nuclear weapons, Iran has missiles to fire the warheads. Iran has a sites and people willing to launch them (HAMAS(and their support group in the western world CARE)). keep in mind terrorists don't win by taking control of a country. they don't win by killing the military. they win when one act of violence happens and people get scared. terrorism keeps happening until something changes. that will be when everyone in Israel is dead. So really, they do have a lot to worry about. especially after Islamic countries in the area are cracking down on Christians and Jews.
    therefore, the ultimate problem with terrorism is that it has no end game, and for that we should be thankful.

20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I see the Fox News Brigade has come out to play.

Iran wants nuclear warheads. Israel has nuclear warheads. Iran's program has also been delayed until at least 2015, and given the activities outlined in this thread, I'd suggest even that is overly optimistic. Further, Israel has enough nuclear weapons to turn Iran, or any other country in the Middle East for that matter, into glass. Israel also has an advanced anti-ballistic missile program underway. Iran does not.

Ever hear of a concept called Mutally Assured Destruction? That's what Iran would be facing if they decided nuking Israel was in their best interest.

And terrorist groups? Hahahaha no. That's not even a realistic option.

21. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Israel's fighting for its survival? Since when? Certainly not within my lifetime. And the more Israelis and Israel trots out the old, "We're fighting for our survival," rhetoric or the, "Remember the holocaust when discussing our enemies," card the more I see the country as a cheap opportunist that uses their past as a crutch for being unable to move forward as a society.

While I have no love of Iran getting a nuclear weapon; I seriously doubt they'd be able to use it as more than a political card in negotiations like Best Korea.

22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    This doesn't exactly encourage faith in the Mandalorian education system.

23. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    What caught my attention the most was his last sentence:

therefore, the ultimate problem with terrorism is that it has no end game, and for that we should be thankful.

Why should we be thankful that it has no end game? Because then we'll have an endless perpetual supply of enemies to fight... and we love fighting? I don't get why we should be thankful that they never stop. I'm not following the logic here.:confused: Or rather, I hope I'm not following the logic here.

24. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
  25. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    ROFL at having the right to be racist
    hahahahahha