main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion IRL accents that you don't want to see in the new movies..

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth_Arapsis, Jun 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Because it would feel weird. I say southern accents. I remember hearing it in Droids and it was really weird.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    You got to have someone who sounds like Cletus from The Simpsons.

"Mr Skaaywulker, I dun busted the hyperdrive"

3. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    The main antagonist should sound like a pirate

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

Too bad. I recently secured the role of the lead female villain.

5. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Ziro the Hutt has forever tainted the Southern accent in Star Wars so yeah I agree none of that. A German accent would also be a bit weird I think.

6. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    I would like a competent villain.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm sure you're not insinuating that a competent villain can't have a Southern accent.

8. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    The gungan dialect... not my favorite

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Hey, here's a great idea: an alien who sounds just like Boomhauer from King of the Hill!

10. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    French and Mexican accents would be strange I think.

11. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    TCW provided many characters with RL accents, including southern. That's right, it's quite easy to forget this guy.
    [​IMG]
    "You took quite a beating there didn't you, missy? Now which side of the battle was you on? Aww. Not too talkative are you?"

They tried that in TCW too. Nuvo Vindi was very much a German scientist stereotype.

TCW gave Twi'leks native to Ryloth French accents, including Aayla Secura, who one would think should have been brought to the Temple at an age too young for her to develop such a strong accent. Everything sounds sexier in French, I guess. Also, I believe they gave Shaak Ti a Spanish or Brazilian accent.

12. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    The trade federation Neimoidians. The Japanese accent was a bit much.

Han Burgundy likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My father watched about half of TPM and said, "Why do all the bad guys have Asian accents?"

14. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Badly done ones at that. I still cringe at the Irish lemurs.

I don't mind accents in Star Wars, but for goodness sake make sure the accent is native to the actor. Or at the very least make sure the actor can do a convincing job of doing it, otherwise it's just painful.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    LOL. That must have been funny.

My main man Hondo definitely had a Spanish accent.

I like accents. It's realistic that they would have them, if you consider that they would have similar earth-like languages on their own homeworlds.

16. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

The Gungans had a dialect? I just thought they were all imitating George W. Bush.

kubricklynch likes this.
  17. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    If it's done right, any accent could be passable in Star Wars... they do have an entire Galaxy worth of dialects to accentuate the Basic language... I'm sure every accent on earth would be represented several times over from that wide a dispersal of population/languages.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I was horrifically offended at how the villains all had stereotypical accents. I remember sitting in the theatre, being taken completely out of the trilogy because I kept thinking how utterly shameful it was to give British accents to every officer of the Empire...

19. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I love that the Empire had Brittish accents myself... IMO it's an accent that when used for an entire organization like that on film, seems to give a level of sophistication and respect.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, I agree. I just wanted to join in the lopsided racism accusations...

21. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Ok... then umm... I hate when there is a bland mid-west accent that is almost undistinguishable! Completely offensive to Mid-westerners who know how to enunciate correctly!

22. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
  23. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

But Red Leader was ok?

EviL_eLF likes this.
  24. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Well to be fair, not all.... the Stormtroopers were American, as we're at least a few officers on the Death Star, Obi-Wan was english, and Leia flip flops at least a couple times in ANH.

Honestly, if you're looking for an example of racism in the OT, look no further than Nien Nunb, who is clearly a gross caricature of... Well, I'm not actually sure, honestly. But dammit if I don't feel like a filthy bigot every time I laugh at how he speaks.

I'll have to second the Neimoidians also. Probably the first time an accent in a SW movie has caused me to cringe and think " Really? Who thought this was a good idea?"

No French accents for EP7. Unless its that cool, textural French accent like the girl from Inglourious Basterds.

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Eh, to be honest I don't really see accents (or badly copied accents) as being racist or insulting. In some cases it may be true, but in many others people just read too much into it. In this time of forced "political correctness" everyone gets upsted and insulted by everything, so if poeple go out looking for insluting stereotypes they'll find them just about everywhere.
    I never connected Neimoidians with Japanese or Asians. It was just the way they talked to me.
    They gotta have some sort of accent and with the movies being in English and us Earthlings having so many peoples and accents...well, pretty much every type of accent they chose will sound similar to some other.
    Personally, I simply don't read too much into it.

Edit: And that's coming from a guy from a country whose people have been portrayed way too often in Hollywood movies as terrorists, bad guys, war criminals, extremists, evil militants, genocidal maniacs and so on :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.