main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Iron Fist

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Preachrman007, Aug 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I think the real issue here is that this thread has nothing to do with Scary Movie 60...or whatever 8-}

This format is fine, it's no different than only having 1 collecting thread (for general discussions). Just click on the most recent page...It does confuse newbs a little however.

2. Preachrman007

Preachrman007 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2002
    Sorry this is late. With Christmas and all, I didn't realize that next week was the last Tuesday already...

The NJO is coming to an end. We will be meeting at Barnes and Noble on Tuesday, December 30th at 6:30 p.m. to discuess the final book, The Unifying Force.

We will also be discussing next year's reading schedule and where we will be meeting in the future.

Hope to see you all there.

Adam

3. Buckaroo_Banzai

Buckaroo_Banzai Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2002
    I'm actually ready for this month's bookclub. Look forward to seeing you there.

Buckaroo

4. Santa_The_Hobbit

Santa_The_Hobbit Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2002
    OMG!

I'm going to be able to make it!!!!!!!!!!!!one

5. Edric-the-grey

Edric-the-grey Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2003
    I should, barring any disaster at work, be able to be there.

Peace,

Edric

6. Preachrman007

May 12, 2002
  7. Santa_The_Hobbit

Dec 15, 2002
    Oh, so we're playing bump when we read the book? YAY!

Storytime with Reverend PAYNE! :D

8. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Well gang,

The flu kept me away from you all again. I hope everyone had a good time.

What are your thoughts on the NJO, all in all?

I leave for Ohio on the third, just in case anyone wants to play Star Wars Miniatures Battles before then.

MTFBWY

Jammi..(Cough, Cough).. Jammies.

9. Santa_The_Hobbit

Dec 15, 2002
    We decided that overall, TUF gets a 'C'.

And then we went off topic :p

10. Preachrman007

May 12, 2002
    At last night's book club we all discussed our disappointment with the Unifying Force and how it ended not with a bang, but with a whimper. As Stackie said, we graded the NJO overall with a C average.

We are going to be changing meeting places for next month's meeting. I will be contacting both Borders and Books a Million to see who offers us a better deal.

The book club selection for January is....The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster.

The Feb. book is Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning.

Anything I forgot?

11. Santa_The_Hobbit

Dec 15, 2002
    You got lost from your wife? :p

12. Santa_The_Hobbit

Dec 15, 2002
    Looking at the book schedule ... because I'm sober :( :p

It seems we've got The Approaching Storm in Jan, Tatooine Ghost in Feb. These are my guesses at the schedule :p

In Feb, the new Zahn novel, Survivor's Quest comes out. Anyone who frequents Lit and likes Mara, avoid Lit, as the Mara bashers are sure to have a hair up their asses about this time. Anyway, Survivor's Quest is a likely candidate for the March book club. Even though it's hardcover ... :p

If we have to stick to paperback novels, then there's nothing being released for a bit, so this would be a good time to start the X-wing series. Rogue Squadron, by Michael A Stackpole in March, followed by Wedge's Gamble in April (one of my favourites :D).

In May, the Shatterpoint paperback is released, so it's a pretty good guess that it'll be that month's book.

In June through December, nothing being released in paperback except for The Unifying Force. Probably a good time to pick up with Krytos Trap and Bacta War by Stackpole, and Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, and Solo Command by Aaron Allston, followed by Isard's Revenge by Stackpole in November.

There's an as-of-yet untitled Clone Wars paperback released in December, but if we just wanna wrap up the X-wing series (as there is only one book remaining at this point), we can cover Starfighters of Adumar by Allston.

This is what happens when my girlfriend is in Florida, I'm sober, and at home on New Years Eve :( :p

13. WedgesOtherNephew

Jun 6, 2002
    At least you have your health.

That statement has special meaning coming from me.:)

14. Edric-the-grey

May 28, 2003
    Preacherman007

Hey. Borders will be exceptionally cool. They have great coffee and the soup is wonderful. In fact, as I sit here watching Underworld and dreaming of Border's soup and coffee, I am in such a state of euphoria that I have forgotten that I am not married to a certain raven haired beauty from England (or a certain young pop star that is currently starring in Chasing Liberty :) )

Okay, my euphoria is over, it's Monday. I'm sad now.
    :(
    Peace,

Edric

15. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Good Luck Adam & Co. on finding a new home for the Book club. I know what ever you find will be better than the current deal at B&N.

"Uh, here guys huddle around this trash can. Oh and, be quiet. Were tring to have a Curious George poetry reading. `Oh Man with hat of Yellow, what makes your kite fly? So High?'"

Did I get the right copy of The Unifying Force for Christmas? I mean, its got all the pages, but it just seems something's missing. Like an ending that doesn't suck.

Speaking of Suck: Dayton Ohio. So I'm in local gaming stor buying greenstuff (a polyresin epoxy that self-hardens; I'm making my own squad of Bothans) and the nerd guy from another post of mine comes in, dressed in all army camo (an army of one big fat nerd), and blerts away the ending of KOTOR. As in he walks in, anounces "I beat KOTOR, it ends like this..." and then waddles out. Crap, says me, fourty hours of time down the tubes just went down the tubes.

Jammies

16. TC517

TC517 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    I will be a little late for the meeting because I'm gonna round up anyone who came to B&N. They put the meeting announcement in the paper for us again :) but they don't know about the switch. :(

17. Preachrman007

May 12, 2002
    I'm on time for once!!!!

Next Tuesday, January 27th, 6:30 p.m. will be the next exciting installment of....Book Club! This month we will be reading The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster.

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE HAVE CHANGED LOCATIONS. We will no longer be meeting at B&N. This month we are meeting at Border's in the cafe. Borders is located at the corner of Lloyd Expressway and Burkhardt Rd. in front of Target Greatland. This will be a trial to see if we like the new place, if not, we can always move somewhere else.

Any questions?

18. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    THE FOLLOWING IS A PREVIEW OF THE BOOK CLUB MEETING FOR 27.01.04.

LIKE MANY FILM TRAILERS, THIS SCENE MAY BE CUT FROM THE FINAL PRODUCT.

THIS PREVIEW HAS BEEN APPROVED FOR ALL AUDIENCES. THE FILM ITSELF IS RATED "R".

This book SUCKS ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

19. WedgesOtherNephew

Jun 6, 2002
    ...but we should all try to come to book club & enjoy ourselves anyway.

Stackky, think happy thoughts.

8-}

20. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Thoughts of not having read/listened to this book? :p

21. Edric-the-grey

May 28, 2003
    I actually thought that it was somewhat enjoyable. I don't actually remember much about it, but I remember reading it and thinking that it wasn't too bad.

Peace,

Edric

22. Darth Maul 1277

Darth Maul 1277 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 16, 2000
    I didn't like it either. I didn't hate it as much as Stacky but it was definetly thumbs down for me. Anybody else besides Myslef, Stacky, and Edric read it?

23. Buckaroo_Banzai

Buckaroo_Banzai Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2002
    I read it when it was released (before ATOC's) came out. If I recall, it was supposed to be a primer for the new movie, but I didn't get much out of it. There was one scene with Palpy at the end. The only thing that stands out is the belly dance scene, where each of the jedi's demonstrate their acrobatic dance skills, but even there, the details are sketchy.

Bottom line, it was forgetable, and I don't really want to re-read a book I didn't care for two years ago.

Buckaroo

24. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Question: In case of bad weather, then what?

25. WedgesOtherNephew

Jun 6, 2002
    I need Adam to weigh in on this, but here are my thoughts...

Not much we can do to control Mother Nature.

I would say we would wait until the morning of the meeting or try to give as much notice as possible on the boards to cancel or postpone.

If some people still show up & get to talk Star Wars, there is really no harm done. Obviously the best thing to do is stay tuned to the boards on the day of the meeting as long as you can, especially during bad weather.

It can also be decided after the fact if we cancel, i.e. move on to the next book or if we postpone, i.e. save this book for next month...that is of course if there is a cancellation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.