main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Iron Man Movies

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Yep, the international teaser was good. Can't wait to get a full blown trailer for the film

2. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Cumbersome. Stiff. Awkward. Not interested in seeing this.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
  5. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Jon Favereau talks to MTV on Iron Man

MTV: Where are you on "Iron Man" today?

Favreau: There's a lot of effects work that's going to be happening in the next six months. The movie is pretty much going to be everything that it's going to be by the end of January. Because so much of it is animated and CGI you have to turn it over and let those people do their work on it. So we'll be done in about a month with all the big creative decisions. And then the rest of it becomes about scoring and sound design.

MTV: Have you shown it to friends you trust?

Favreau: Yeah, I showed it to Vince [Vaughn] not long ago. He's always been a very helpful collaborator. We have very similar tastes in storytelling. He brings a lot to the table in terms of giving a reaction that I trust. His big thing is story. Is it as strong a story as it can be? And that's what you're constantly hammering at when you're trying to get a movie right. All the other stuff tends to fall into place. What's nice about "Iron Man" is it's a clean canvas and I get to use what's in the books. I chose to stay fairly true to it, but I left enough room for myself and the performers to deviate a little bit and take a few left turns. It's nice to be able to start my own world within the Marvel universe.

MTV: How long a running time are you shooting for?

Favreau: Probably between [an hour and 45 minutes and two hours]. I don't think it should go much longer than two. We have to see how it plays.

MTV: When are we going to see some more footage from the film?

Favreau: What's fun is that in the next few months, we're going to get huge chunks of effects coming back to us. You don't want to come out with something unless it's a quantum leap from the last stuff shown.

MTV: There's talk of a Super Bowl ad. Would you recommend that I TiVo the game?

Favreau: I would. [He laughs.]

MTV: Marvel producer Avi Arad confirmed to us that Hilary Swank will appear in the film.

Favreau: You're going to have to talk to Avi. I'm amazed by what I see printed and what I hear in interviews. There are not a lot of secrets left, so I'm not going to comment much. I will not confirm or deny.

MTV: How about Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury?

Favreau: That's another interesting question. Right now the only thing that's saving me is the white noise out there. I don't like lying to the fans, but that doesn't mean I have to spill all the secrets either.

MTV: Is there a cameo for you in the film?

Favreau: I did do a cameo. It's nothing to speak of. I'm a glorified extra but with a lot of future potential. I've removed almost all of my dialogue. We shot a lot of movie, so now we're in the winnowing-down process and part of that is losing everything that's not exceptional, and unfortunately my performance falls into that category. [He laughs.]

MTV: You can show off your recent massive weight loss.

Favreau: I know. We're going to have to do some CGI to make me match. [He laughs.] We shot over the course of several months, and I dropped 80-90 pounds total over the course of the movie.

MTV: There's also been talk of a scene in which Iron Man encounters the Hulk.
    Favreau: Again, I don't want to confirm or deny any of this stuff. I think it's a fun game. Every Marvel fan is like Columbo. They can take in very little information and they can piece together the whole scene of the crime. But I'm not going to show any cards before I have to.
    AddThis Social Bookmarking Widget

6. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    That interview has the combined effect of telling me absolutely nothing new about the movie... and causing me to want to see it like crazy!

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    A little more on the Iron Man/Hulk Crossover Scene(s):

How is Tony Stark in The Incredible Hulk?

Ain't It Cool News has posted a rumor about how the Iron Man/The Incredible Hulk cross-over might work (Possible Spoiler Ahead!):

So the scene that was shot was for the Hulk with General Thunderbolt who is very important to the Hulk. Anyway, Tony Stark meets with him - which of course is a straight prelude to the Avengers Movie.

Iron Man director Jon Favreau stayed mum on the subject in yesterday's interview with MTV.

8. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    Some new pictures since the last post.

[image=http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/6426/ironmannewpic08np1.jpg]

[image=http://pici.se/pictures/xodJblhIS.jpg]

[image=http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1261/ironmanfabmanyg0.jpg]

9. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Iron Man had a Super Bowl trailer. Any thoughts? I thought the CGI was a little over the top but I am willing to forgive because the footage was pretty amazing. I was mainly surprised by how bright the film was, we see Iron Man flying through the brights of day. A lot of Comic Book movies keep their characters in the dark to enhance the mystery and I was surprised by this move.

10. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    The only thing that got me really jazzed was seeing the shot of him hovering in the garage (see above) as the suit sort of unfurls itself all over him.

11. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    "Yeah...I can fly."

I don't know how many more ways you can say that Downey's perfect for this, but he's perfect for this. Although that very last shot with the tank looked really Gamecube-y in the end.

But, still, Robert Downey, Jr. is playing Iron Man in a big-budget summer movie. That's STILL almost too surreal to think about.

12. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I am still not sold on Downey.

13. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
  14. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    I loved the TV spot. Especially the shots of the Mark II Armor being used and the Iron Monger armor running.

15. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
  16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    New trailer released tonight!!!

http://moviesmovies.ign.com/movies/video/article/855/855622/ironman_trlr2_022808_qthighwide.mov

http://www.trailersland.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=389&Itemid=1

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4VGTEZ4T

I can't wait. Just a little over 2 months away! [face_dancing]

17. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    It looks really smart and funny and action-packed. The Marvel Age of Movies rocks on.

I find it amusing that the first part of the new trailer is almost exactly the same as the old trailer, with different shots from the same scenes! Plus the love interest stuff (Gwyneth with red hair!), the villain (a brooding Lebowski, I mean Bridges) and the friend (Howard, belnding in with the scenery) is all very intriguing and tantallizing.

18. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    You may have missed the memo, but Robert Downey Jr. is in the same club as Christian Bale and Johnny Depp.

You know, the 'Good n just about every movie they're in' club.

19. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    a) Thats a matter of opinion...with which I don't necesarily agree.
    b) Because someone may be good in every movie they are in it doesn't mean they are right for every role they play.

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^ I can see why some people might not be happy with Downey in the role. Stark in the comic-books was alays a rather sober figure (and yes, I see the irony:p), more a driven buisnessman than playboy; he just wasn't a fun guy.

Downey, on the other hand, is far more murcurial, with the trailer showing a lot of his wisecracking, goofey side - not something I associate with the Iron Man/Stark of the comics, at least not the ones I used to read. So, yes, Downey doesn't feel quite like the Stark I know.

The same is true, however, for Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, Toby Maguire's Peter Parker/Spider-Man, and even Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman. All good performances in good movies (...mostly. Die, threquels, die!), but not quite capturing the essence of the comic-book characters they are supposedly embodying.

I'm not someone who believes that comic-book characters need to be changed when going up onto the big screen (Maguire's Spider-Man falls rather short of the character for me, even though I enjoyed the first two films), but altering the earnest type-A personality Stark of the comics into someone a little more warm and fun is not a deal-breaker for me. Perhaps that's because I never really cared that much about Stark the man, as opposed to Iron Man's super-heroics, but then... did anybody? I don't think he was ever one of Marvel's more interesting alter-egos.

I look forward to seeing Downey's Tony Stark on the big screen, and if I find him a little more whacky than the comic-book character I remember, I will remind myself that Tom Cruise might have been playing him instead, and I will count my blessings.

21. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    Two new and final posters.

[image=http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/SLL77/Film/IronMan1.jpg]

[image=http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/SLL77/Film/iron_man_ver3.jpg]

22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^I really not so keen on those at all. Rather lacking, I think.

23. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I don't think they are lacking but they are somewhat cliche.

24. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Gwyneth is looking good and who'd have thought that Jeff Bridges could look so tough.

25. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    I first saw them over at First Showing.

The first poster is the US Domestic Poster and the second one is the International Poster. Both are final versions according to the article and their sources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.