main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Iron Man Movies

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    No. Stane had that big ring since the beginning of the movie. He's playing with it at the table when Rhodes is giving Stark the award.

2. Takergirl316

Takergirl316 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 11, 2005
    Saw Iron Man today, loved it. Robert Downey Jr., is without a doubt the living embodiment of Tony Stark.

The cameo at the end was cool too.

BTW, this is Juliet3:16. I'm operating on a gameban.

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Estimated $50.5 Million intake for it's 2nd weekend. Bringing it's total to about $177 million domestically. Not bad at all. Lets see how it does against Prince Caspian and Indiana Jones 4 over the next 2 weeks.

4. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Just saw it today. An extremely fun movie.

I am intrigued by the sequel. It will have to be a very different format, because this movie was more origin story than any other superhero movie I've seen. The vast majority of it was him working on the suit. He seems to be pretty much done with building it, so that can't be in the sequel. I guess they'll mix the drinking storyline with The Avengers in addition to fighting another baddie.

Robert Downey Jr. was great.

5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    What did everyone think of that final battle? I really think it was the movie's Achilles heal. It was cartoony and Bridges was reading Saturday Morning dialogue. Is it just me or was anyone else disapointed by this?

6. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    The actual physical fighting was okay. After half a movie of seeing the awesome-hardcore-indestructibleness of the suit (more or less), it was cool for Stark to finally meet a worthy match.

However, I agree that Obadiah's dialogue was downright cringeworthy. "I see you have made some modifications to your suit. Well I have made some modifications of my own!" It was so cheesy, not badass at all, and just gave too much of the impression of boys playing with their toys.

Seriously. The guy sounded like such a nerd, saying that his modifications were clearly superior to Stark's. :rolleyes:

It's too bad, because before that, he was a pretty awesome villain.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I thought once Stone had to open up the suit, his dialogue was a little more believable. But when he started off, it was really like Megatron where as Iron Man still sounded human.

8. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Really good movie, saw it last night.

I was concerned about Robert Downey Jr. in the role, but after last night, I think it was a great role for him. He was perfect.

I like Jeff Bridges as a villain, but yeah, I don't think a science fiction villain is his strong suit either.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    But, in a way, he is a nerd. They both are. I mean, they're engineering geniuses! They gotta be a little nerdy. :p

10. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Granted, I've never read the comics, so all I know of Obadiah is the impressions I got from the movie, but it struck me that the Starks were the engineering brains of the operation, while Obadiah was more of an economic brain.

Plus smart doesn't always mean nerdy. :p

11. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    IIRC In the comics Stane was a competitor who took Stark Industries out from underneath Tony and started using his tech against him, though I admit ignorance on the whole story.

12. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    I'll just say that I put Iron Man in the category with X-men (1&2), Spider-Man (1&2), & Batman Begins... Not with Dare Devil, The Hulk, or Fantastic Four...

The Thing after the credits was frakin' badass.

D_M_S_L

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Star Wars author Dan Wallace pointed out something rather amusing in his blog, about a certain casting decision (spoilers for the after-credits scene.)

Heh.

14. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I enjoyed it more than The Hulk. The PS3 game is just like the movie, but has more interaction with the movie scenes than the actual movie did, if that makes sense.

15. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    He's only just discovered that?? :p Thats a joke that's amused fans since it was leaked who would be playing Fury. Its nothing new or really shocking. ;)

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I thought that was the Human Torch!:p

17. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    Good News out today. I just read over at Shh! That Favreau has signed on to direct Iron Man 2...

This is great news, I hope they take their time crafting a fantastic story and don't just try to rush it out. As far as I know Favreau isn't interested in doing a cookie-cutter sequel and he's not afraid to go toe-to-toe with the studios, so it'll be interesting to see how things turn out.

Follow the links for the full story.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=7459

-T_S_R

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Rourke and Rockwell are the Iron Man 2 Villains!

Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler) and Sam Rockwell (Frost/Nixon) are in talks to star as the villains in Marvel Studios' Iron Man 2, being directed by Jon Favreau from a script by Justin Theroux, according to Variety and The Hollywood Reporter.

THR says that Rourke would play a tattooed Russian heavy named Ivan who becomes a man with deadly, technologically enhanced coils. Variety adds that Rourke would play the Crimson Dynamo. "He's considered to be an evil version of Iron Man because he battles the superhero in a nuclear-powered suit of armor," says the trade.

Rockwell would play Justin Hammer, a multibillionaire businessman and a rival of industrialist Tony Stark, AKA Iron Man, being played by a returning Robert Downey Jr.

Rourke and Rockwell would be joining a cast that also includes the returning Gwyneth Paltrow and Don Cheadle, who is replacing Terrence Howard.

Another part -- one for Stark's assistant Natasha -- is still open.

The project is eyeing a spring start in Manhattan Beach. Paramount will release the movie May 7, 2010.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Filming has been in production and they are just past the halfway point in it. The first picture of Mickey Rourke's character Whiplash has been released. He will not be playing Crimson Dynamo as previously thought.

http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGallery/Iron_Man_2/large/hr_Iron_Man_2_1.jpg

20. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    He looks kinda ridiculous, but I'm sure Favreau will make it work.

21. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Surely there must be some CG work over that or something.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    I'm guessing that what we see here is a prototype of Whiplash's suit and there'll be a more complete suit towards the middle/end of the film.

23. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Mickey Rourke is rediculous. Period.
    Doesn't matter what costume you put him in.
    He's the type of actor who could only possiblly have work thanks to Mob connections.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Suit looks pretty close to at least one version of Whiplash:

[image=http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/whiplash2.jpg]

25. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Never mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.