Iron Man Movies

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    This should be an interesting one to follow - I'm curious as to how they'll depict some of the details for the big screen. (The suit, etc.)
  2. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5
    Oded Fehr of The Mummy and Showtimes' Sleeper Cell is tentatively casted at this point - a forerunner for the role, really. He's a really good actor and could definetely pull off a billionaire industrialist with a conscience. Eric Bana wouldve been great for this role, but alas....
  3. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Tom Selleck would be the perfect Iron Man. He even has the same initials as Tony Stark!
  4. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Selleck is far to old. Like others have said 10 years ago he would of been perfect. Tony isn't a young character by any stretch of the imagination but Selleck is just plain past the relem of believability.

As for Fehr how can you have some one even "tentatively" cast in a movie that is not even in development yet?
  5. redsabreanakin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well at the risk of getting to political, Leo would never do the role. Tony Stark and Iron Man go against everything he believes in. :oops:

Selleck would have been a great Tony Stark, however, at the right age he would have needed to be...he still would have been Identified with Magnum. (one of the all time great shows by the way)..it's only been recently...that he has been able to step out from Magnum's shadow. He's actually a very good actor.

I recommend Quigley Down Under.
  6. Paradise in Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    He played Howard Hughes, who was also his political opposite. How is Iron Man any more of a problem?
  7. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That was what I was going to point out as well. Hughes is effectively Tony and he didn't have any problem with that role. His real problem would be that its far too "hollywood" of a movie.

Personaly I don't think he is right for the role in any shape or form.
  8. redsabreanakin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I was more pointing to the fact that Tony Stark and Stark Enterprises would be enviornmental rapists in Leo's eyes; and yeah...

It probably would be too "Hollywood" for him as well.
  9. Paradise in Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Does anyone else hope they'll deal with Stark's alcoholism? I'd rather see him as a flawed hero rather than have a sanitized version of him on the screen.
  10. redsabreanakin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No not really. It dragged on in the comic books..lasted for years. It's been done before. If they want to deal with it as an afterthought, that would be allright.
  11. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    I heard a rumour that they're going to be using the Ultimate Iron Man armor, which I hope turns out to be false. Stick with the traditional shell.
  12. Paradise in Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Given how many times the look of Iron Man has changed over the years, they'll probably take elements from several suits and make their own movie-specific armor. Here's hoping that those elements come from the main Marvel universe and not the Ultimate one.
  13. redsabreanakin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I'm in agreement with Trilobite. If any of the other "recent" comic book films are the ones to judge by...they will use anything "Ultimates" to appeal to the Key Demographic.

teenagers. :rolleyes:
  14. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Leo DiCaprio would be an interesting choice. Tom Selleck is far too old.

I want an exiperenced director to do this,no Tim Story's
  15. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Is the director of The Notebook still attached? I've heard conflicting reports on that.
  16. Dark-Enigma Jedi Knight

star 3
    For those of you who are concerned of Tom Cruise not doing a full trilogy - is he not going to be in the third MI?

He may work in the role. I thought he was too pretty-boy at first, but after seeing Collateral, he might not be a bad choice.
  17. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    There is no one attached. In fact from what I've read he was never really on board.

Since the rights have reverted back to marvel they have said they are going to nail down a director before deciding whether to finance it themselves or licence it out again. Cassavetes is still in the running but I wouldn't think anymore so than anyone else they're looking at. Expect to get a definitive answer once its all ironed out.
  18. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    it'd be nice if Marvel financed it themselves bc if that's so wouldn't they be able to do crossovers then w/ out conflict w/ other studios and movies like sony/spiderman or fox/x-men?
  19. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    I really doubt that this will happen,Marvel makes a great deal of their money by selling the rights to their comics to studios

Yes Cruise is on for MI3 but keep in mind it`s been ten years since the orignal and with Cruise getting older that won`t work
  20. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    yeah. if they don't start it soon. Cruise will be to old. you need someone at the youngest in their late 20's or early to mid 30's at the oldest for him. sort of like Bruce Wayne when he started off as batman in his late 20's
  21. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ug, talk of cross overs here too :p

No, if Marvel did it themselves they would still have the same restrictions in terms of licenced rights to other companies.

The only reason they are talking about doing it themselves is because they can't give away the rights for this one. Its been returned to them by two studios so far IIRC. Hulk reverted to them as well and they are making that film (though its still distributed by Universal) as well as Captain America, Ant-man, and Nick Fury.
  22. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    damn studio rights to characters [face_frustrated]
  23. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No, damn cross-over talk.

24. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    It's a shame that crossovers are impossible. The mentor-apprentice relationship Tony Stark has with Peter Parker right now would be great to see in a film.

Regarding Cruise's age... He doesn't look that much older to me than he did in the first M:I. I don't think age should be a concern with him. I mean, Harrison Ford is around 20 years older and he still has it (well, in my opinion at least).
  25. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ford is loosing it quickly though. I agree that Cruise could still pull it off. It becomes a question of
    A: If he would want to
    B: If we would really want him too o_O
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.