main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Iron Man Movies

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    Hes a little old, and he already has Captain America in his blood from playing him in the early 80's at PR event.

2. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    It was me.

Frakes form his next gen days would be perfect.

I didn't know he ever played cap.

3. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    It was back in the early 80s back when he was living off of mac and cheese. He would appear at Marvel press conferences and special occassions by jumping on the hood of a (marvel) car and making a dramatic riding entrance to a pack of kids. He talks about it at trek conventions.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    how old is Frakes anyway? he doesn't seem too old to play the part. then again if they were going to do a franchise then it'd probably be a bad idea to go with him in the long run. especially with them planning The Avengers movie.

5. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    According to imdb, he's 54.

6. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    wow, i had no idea he was that old.

7. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    Remember, the 20th anniversary of Next Generation is right around the corner. Time flies.

8. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    from Aintitcool and Moviehole...

Our Tony Stark is....

Robert Downey Jr.

I defer all remarks to those that follow me (sighs)

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    that's actually not a bad choice. i don't mind him at all

10. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Huh, well at least he'll have the background for the character.

11. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    [face_laugh] True, true. It wouldn't be too hard for him to get into character.

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    now that the casting is done i can't wait to see what the suit will look like

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    And we can speculate on the much more urgent question of who will be playing Jarvis.

14. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

Mar 13, 2004

I hope they cast for the character, not for the actor. Michael Caine is great and all, but he's not really Alfredish. I hope they study how Jarvis actually looks before casting this super hero butler.

15. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Michael Caine is great and all, but he's not really Alfredish.

I'll never think of Alfred any other way after Caine. Guys amazing. " Never ! "

16. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Michael Caine is great and all, but he's not really Alfredish.

I'll never think of Alfred any other way after Caine. Guys amazing. " Never ! "

17. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Have to admit Robert Downey Jr wouldn't have been my first choice, but I'll keep an open mind about it.

18. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    There were some rejected suit designs online that looked really cool. Looks like they've got the look down.

Glad that Tom Cruise didn't get the role. This guy looks like Tony Stark.

19. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    Getting over Downeys 1985 tour of Saturday Night Live will be hard to get out of my head, to say nothing of Weird Science. If he can disappear into a role then great, otherwise I have known him since he was a kid, and thats not an easy thought.

20. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

Mar 13, 2004
    I mentioned this to my dad tonight and found out that Robert Downey junior is my 5th or 6th cousin.

21. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    Anybody else get the feeling MArvel is Punking us? :)

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    :confused:

23. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    You know...we start talking about Downey as Iron Man. Start doing manips and imagining who the villain si and then two weeks from now, Fabian Nicieza or somebody goes on youtube and says:
    "Marvel fanboys... you've just been punkd!"

:)

PS: I would've liked to see Keith Hamilton Cobb in the role. Yeah, Tyr. I think he could've pulled it off.

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    has there been any word on where filming will be taking place? if it'll be location or all studio?

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Robert Downey Jr. Talks Iron Man

In the new indie drama Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus, Robert Downey Jr. is covered from head to toe in luscious fur, but when ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! spoke to Downey Jr. about the movie, we were more interested in another suit he will be wearing soon, one of armor in Jon Favreau's Iron Man.

"The suit for 'Iron Man' is so complex and does so much stuff that except for once or twice or from the chest up, I'm not required to do all that much," Downey Jr. told us when asked if he'd been fitted for the armor yet. "What I will do is a lot of motion capture so that the movement isn't just some random stunt guy. A lot of time I look at CGI and I'm like 'What's the reference for this? This looks like a cartoon reference not a person." So I said I want to do all the motion capture work, which is like eight months after finishing shooting, but as much as it as I can do, I will."

"I went after it like a greyhound after a rabbit," he said when asked whether Favreau approached him or whether he went after the part. "I loved Marvel and 'Iron Man' to me is the goods. To tell you the God's honest truth, I'd thrown them all away for Sgt. Rock, because I really grew up on Hogan's Heroes, Sgt. Rock. I'm still addicted to the History Channel and the Military Channel is my thing, but Tony's the best because I could never be Sgt. Rock. He's a little bigger and more butch and has a cigar, I don't see it. Tony's a perfect fit for me, and if I was ever going to do this type of thing, I thought, you know, like early '40's. Great, because when you hang up your 'macho hat' and start directing or doing other stuff, it's not an embarrassment to be doing this in your late '40s still if we wind up doing three of them."

He also said that there would be some major casting announcements soon including Tony Stark's secretary Pepper Potts and one other, but he couldn't let the cat out of the bag despite being excited about the chance to work with the actors.

Iron Man is scheduled for May 2, 2008, but you can see Downey Jr. in Steven Shainsburg's Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus, which opens in New York and Los Angeles this week, and check out the rest of our interview with Downey Jr. here at ComingSoon.net in the next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.