main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Iron Man Movies

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
  2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    not much. but a cool looking logo :cool:

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Some Concept Art for the Suit

It also mentions that Stan Winston Studios might be doing a full mechanical suit for the movie. That would be awesome! :cool:

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Huh, if they go with that suit, I'll be happy. Not the Ultimate Iron Man one please.

5. jedisizzlin12

jedisizzlin12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2006
    Paltrow????

Wow...things just got even more dreary. Not thrilled with Robert Downey..and now Gywenth.

Sighs!

6. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I hope they go with the look of the 90's Iron Man. That ultimate version is the sore spot in my Marvel Icons collection.

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I saw some commercial today for a straight to/made for DVD Iron Man cartoon.

In light of the fact that I complained all along the way during the production of Batman begins and was wrong, I hate to start again with Iron Man but Gwyneth Paltrow is among my least favorite actresses... Plus I'm always afraid that Art house types like her are just there to keep their profile high and collect a fat check between Wes Anderson movies.

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i think they threw out the ultimate design of the armor for the movie

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Jeff Bridges Aboard Iron Man

Marvel Studios continues to build a golden foundation for its big screen adaptation of Iron Man as it announced today that Jeff Bridges will join the cast of the highly-anticipated summer 2008 event film. Bridges marks the fourth Academy-Award recognized actor signed on to the project, starring alongside Oscar® nominee Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man, Oscar® nominee Terrence Howard as Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes and Oscar® winner Gwyneth Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts. Directed by Jon Favreau, Iron Man is scheduled to blast into theaters May 2, 2008.

Few specifics of Bridges' role were released. He will portray a close business associate of Tony Stark. A confidant and longtime employee at defense contractor Stark Industries, Bridges' character plays a major role in shaping Tony Stark's life.

"We are thrilled to have Jeff Bridges on board 'Iron Man' in this pivotal role. His depth of talent and unique persona make him a perfect addition to this project, truly rounding out the ensemble," said Kevin Feige, President of Production, Marvel Studios. "His character is central to the entire storyline of the film and we could not have asked for a better choice than Jeff to bring this role to life."

Jeff Bridges has appeared in more than 50 movies during his illustrious career to date, and has garnered numerous accolades. Bridges has received four Academy Award® nominations, including a Best Actor nod for Starman and Supporting Actor recognition for The Contender, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and The Last Picture Show. Among his other memorable film credits are: The Big Lebowski, Seabiscuit, The Fisher King, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Jagged Edge and Against All Odds. In 2007, he will be seen in A Dog Year and provide his vocal talents to the animated film Surf's Up.

Filming on Iron Man is scheduled to begin in Los Angeles in March 2007. The film will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Iron Man will be produced by Avi Arad and Kevin Feige. Executive Producers are Ari Arad, Peter Billingsley, Louis D'Esposito, Jon Favreau and Michael Helfant. Bridges is represented by Creative Artists Agency.

10. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    But to me, Jeff will always be "That guy from Tron."

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    he'll always be "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski :p

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
  13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Iron Man Production Office Visit

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Last Tuesday I ventured from my ****** little LAX area hotel to Playa Vista where Jon Favreau has set up his IRON MAN offices.

I had visited this particular location once before when I walked around the ruins of Oliver Stone's WORLD TRADE CENTER (Click here to read that report!). The place is loaded with history, on a large piece of land once used by Howard Hughes to build the Spruce Goose. The hanger there is forkin' huge and, interestingly, made completely of wood since it was built during the war and no steel could be spared.

The offices are in these little structures that remind me of portables from junior high... or a built out trailer. Quite unassuming for a movie as high profile and massive as IRON MAN.

Once I got past the security guard, I was waved in by Favreau's friendly and beautiful assistant, Karen. I was pretty early, so I took a seat outside of Favreau's office next to a 3 foot tall clay maquette of Iron Man himself. After a few minutes of trying not to stare too obviously at the maquette while chatting with Karen and Peter Billingsley's equally beautiful and friendly assistant, Laura, Favreau arrived.

After a quick handshake he pointed to the maquette and asked how I liked his "decoy." It was one of the first maquettes based almost 100% on Adi Granov's IRON MAN design. Less bulky, more streamlined... high cheek-bones on the helmet. They loved having it around, but it wasn't what IRON MAN was going to look like in the film. If I wanted to see the design they were going with... I had but to enter Favreau's office.

He led me into his office where I saw some pretty pieces of production art, including the Mach 1 design (ie Grey Suit) and the classic Red and Gold design. Let's start with the Mach One.

I saw 2 pieces of art on the Mach One. One was a character study, three figures lined up giving a front, back and side view of the suit.

The chest-piece and helmet are very recognizable. It's not quite the classic grey suit, but it's very close. The helmet is flat and round, like a half of a Tylenol, with eye slits and a mouth slit cut into it. The chest is very much classic Iron Man, with the glowing centerpiece. The joints were hastily welded, as they would have been if welded in secret.

In the comics, Tony Stark was in Vietnam seeing how Stark Industries could help the American war effort when he was injured and taken prisoner. He was forced to build weapons with another prisoner, a brilliant physicist Yinsen, with a piece of shrapnel dangerously close to his heart. On the down low Yinsen helps Stark build a chest plate to keep him alive, which evolves into a makeshift suit of armor to help him escape his captors.

Vietnam is replaced with Afghanistan in the film. I brought up this change from the original comic and Favreau said he wouldn't make a change unless he felt like he needed to. He said keeping it to the comic book origin would require him to make a period film, which is not what he wants to do. I do know that Yinsen is still in the movie, though Favreau wouldn't spill on who was playing him. If they're placing this in Afghanistan I was thinking a perfect Middle Eastern version would be Omar Sharif. I didn't even float that idea out to Favreau, so don't go spreading it around as fact... pure dream casting on my part, but wouldn't it be great?

The radical differences with the grey suit were bulkier arm and leg pieces. Favreau said he wanted to make sure that the fantastic in this film is grounded and a realism brought to all aspects... In other words, he doesn't want to make a cartoon. The trick is sticking close to the source material while achieving that grounded realism. It seemed like Favreau embraced the fun, actiony aspect, but he wants to keep people involved... help them suspend their disbelief a little. In the case of the grey suit, he wanted to make it look like something you could covertly build in a prison (cave, in this case) unde

14. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Some nifty fan artwork I found online:

[image=http://www.bigfanboy.com/images/forumimages/ironman/RD-IRONMAN.jpg]

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i can't wait to get actual pictures of the suits and sets.

16. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    That doesnt look half bad actually. Downey might pull this off.

17. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark? Oi...reminds me of the casting of Ben Affleck for Matt Murdoch and Nick Cage as Johnny Blaze. In other words...

Big mistake

18. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm not a fan of Downey, haven't seen any of his films, but looking at his biography on IMDb, I'm worried that they may have to recast Iron Man somewhere down the line (if they go to sequals) because of the actor's drug addiction and lack of commitment.

19. Boskone_Kenobi

Feb 15, 2002
    I was more against Affleck as Daredevil for his low acting range and Nick Cage because he is simply too old.

And against Doom because he didnt sound evil enough...
    And Invisible Woman becuase shes too young...

We can go on and on, but Im not particularly worried about Downey. I would have preferred a beefier person, but hes Ok for now.

20. Beowulf

May 28, 1999
    I would've preferred someone with charisma, which I don't think Robert Downey Jr. has. I think Brad Pitt may've been a good Tony Stark...

21. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I think Karl Urban suited the role quite nicely.

22. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    karl urban was awesome in doom, even better in LOTR but didnt have much screen time compared to other characters, still a really great actor. hes got this certain attitude about him. its mad

23. Beowulf

May 28, 1999
    One of Karl Urban's better secondary roles was in The Bourne Supremacy.

Karl Urban would've been perfect as Tony Stark. He even looks the way that Tony Stark did in the comics before Onslaught...

24. GreenGoblin

GreenGoblin Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2007
    They gonna screw it up...i just have a bad feeling about this movie..

If it sucks..Please don't say i didn't warn you!

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i think the casting is great with the exception of Gwyneth Paltrow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.