main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Iron Thread of the Obsidian Socializers: Social Thread v7.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenMcEwan

BenMcEwan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Oh that's sad... Haha

2. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    How about, instead of v8.0, it's v7.0.1.1.3, or something. It seems like almost every program that I've used, they do that all the time. Have a new version out every couple months, but only have it go up a full number every couple years...

3. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    "Ryan vs The social thread 8.0"
    "The not so serious nuke-fridging social thread 8.0"
    Mhe, already out of ideas.

But still, the old one lasted way longer than 10k. Or at least a couple-hundred longer.

So, in other news, in April (possibly the 11th) I'll be the proud father of 2 children. Aye, that's right. Now grow up, the rest of you!

:p

4. ShadowDuelist

ShadowDuelist Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2006
    This has my vote.

5. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    How about just "Social Thread Version 8.0"

*shrug*

6. fjrsm

fjrsm Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2007
    There you go.

7. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
  8. Sojourn

Sojourn Jedi Master star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Congratulations to you and your family, Vidina! [face_dancing]

Take care,
    Sojourn

9. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    That WOULD be your title.... Sheesh. :rolleyes:

I seriously thought a SAG strike was some kind of missle strike for a second there. Even had to look it up....

10. Sojourn

Dec 31, 2005
    How similar do you think the effects of that strike would be to the effects of this past year's WGA strike? Would all shows and films currently filming shut down until the strike was over, while new scripts would continue to be written?

Take care,
    Sojourn

11. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    I'm guessing (and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here), but . . . . yes. No filming until the actors come back from the strike. Which would put the entire crew of Hollywood in the unemployment line. Add that to the seemingly likely demise of the Big Three in Detroit, and we've got literally millions of people out of work.

And with the way the Actors supported the Writers last time around, I would fully expect the Writers to support the Actors in similar fashion should a strike be called.

See, if the auto makers go under, then the parts suppliers don't have customers, and the material suppliers for the parts manufacturers don't have customers, and the auto dealerships don't have new inventory coming in, and so on and so forth . . . . it's actually a huge problem in the long run.

The entire economy is a set of dominoes - tap the right one, and everything will topple over.

12. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Heh, what's that supposed to mean?

13. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    On the plus side, we'd probably get another episode of Dr. Horrible sooner than previously expected.

14. Krintar

Krintar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    I'm contemplating whether that's worth it. It's a tough call.

15. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006
    There are folks more qualified to discuss that than I, but I'd imagine it's easier to to do something like Dr. Horrible during a strike of a faceless guild than of one whose members are actually on screen.

16. Sojourn

Dec 31, 2005
    There's a good chance they would, though the dynamics are different -- actors don't have any lines to film if the writers are on strike, but the writers can still turn out scripts while waiting for the actors to come back to work.

Take care,
    Sojourn

17. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It hasn't been a concern for like, the last three Social Threads, but we've closed them anyway.

Regarding the SAG strike, it's already screwed up the economy and the industry almost as badly as the WGA strike did, and it hasn't even happened yet. With the threat of the strike looming since June, none of the studios have wanted to get new projects started, because they would just have to get shut down again. The town is totally dead and there's no work to be had -- the actors might as well be on strike already.

18. BenMcEwan

Jul 2, 2008
    Congrats man.

19. elemental_fantasy

elemental_fantasy Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2006
    Just a random post.

20. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    So, could studios hire non-SAG actors? Or could SAG actors work for smaller, independent projects that weren't tied to the studios?

21. Laszlo

Laszlo Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2006
    Not if they want to keep F.A.G. ... uhm I mean S.A.G. membership. There are ways to cheat around it, like false (aka screen) names. Loyd Kaufman says he does that all the time with actors, because people want to work with him, yet SAG hates him.

22. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    I didn't even know of the threat of an actor's strike until today.

23. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    [pats Pixel's head]
    That's nice, dear. Why don't you run along and play with the other Trekkies?

[face_mischief]
    EDIT: Whoa!
    YouTube went widescreen!

24. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Eh, I didn't know either. I keep up a bit more on gaming news than movie news.

25. BenMcEwan

Jul 2, 2008
    I know, isn't it awesome?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.