main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Iron Thread of the Obsidian Socializers: Social Thread v7.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    Thats the same thing as saying that watching widescreen movies on a 4:3 TV/monitor is annoying because they're letterboxed. Don't make me destroy you.

2. andy1044

andy1044 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2006
    God, he's gotten old.

3. dan-yoda

dan-yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    They might have used some age make-up for Spock, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

I'm REALLY glad he's in the movie. Not only is it a kind of "seal of approval" from him showing that he thinks this is going to be good (remember, he backed out of Generations because he didn't like the script, so he's just not a money whore), but I think it's a perfect way to "pass the torch" from the old to the new cast. I'm also digging the plotline for the movie, which of course has Nimoy time traveling quite a bit.

4. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    I never said it was, nor did I ever think it was.

As for Nimoy. I'd say they did use make up, because I saw an interview thing with him and Quinto, and Nimoy didn't look even close to being that old.

5. bobaandy123

bobaandy123 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 21, 2005
    Just to ask again, there was a guy earlier who said he had a daylight balanced bulb for the Arri 2000w flood? The code for the lamp is FEY. I can't find it anywhere, and I'm about to buy all this stuff. I'm not too sure they exist, but I'd buy one if they do...

6. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Strength in numbers is the only power that people have against strength in money. You NEED to be able to strike or else the people in charge have all the power and can walk all over you.

We have unions -- and their ability to fight back via work striking -- to thank for overtime pay, holiday recognition, minimum wage, child labor laws, the list goes on and on. Anyone who thinks the unions or their members are "greedy" obviously doesn't really know what they're talking about. And the only employers who complain about them are the ones who wish desperately they could screw their workers over.

Sure, unions can be dicks sometimes, and sometimes they do get too big for their britches. But for the most part they're fighting for better pay, better conditions, and a better working situation all around.

7. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    I live in a right-to-work state. :(

8. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    I doubled checked on that bulb for ya. We have daylight balanced bulbs for our 650's, our 1k's, but not for our 2k's. Sorry, about that....

9. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    No it's definitely different. I would prefer watching letterbox than pillar box. Pillar box is certainly more distracting.

10. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I definitely wouldn't ever want to catch myself standing in front of a pillar box.

Wait, no. Pill box.

11. Evil-Henchman

Jul 17, 2004
    That is why you fail. ;)

12. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    Letter boxing is so much more epic.

13. Evil-Henchman

Jul 17, 2004
    I don't know about epic but it's somethin'.

For all those pillarbox naysayers, have fun watching 4:3 content (in it's proper aspect) on a 16:9 TV. [Simpsons bully]Ha ha![/Simpsons bully]

14. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    I think that the worst part of all of this is the window boxing - when previously uploaded letterboxed videos are then pillarboxed.

15. Penitio

Penitio Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2002
    It is a tad annoying. I think with in the next week or so youtube people will have fixed so it's just automatic. If the video is widescreen or if the video is standard, thats how it's going to show up.

16. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    I preffer to do it in 14:9 zoom mode. This gives thin pillars on the side, slight chopping on top or bottom that rarely matters, and the correct aspect (no PHAT PEEPLE that most people that stretch 4:3 to 16:9 get, which I hate worse than anything - rather pillarbox than PHAT PEEPLE)

/Z

17. Master_Comyn

Nov 17, 2000
    I was forced to watch two whole hours of stretched 4:3 HGTV with my wife while house sitting the other day. I would rather have eaten my own poop...

18. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    har har.

Now think of the 56k users, think of them!

edit:
    Sixense beats the crap out of the wii.

19. Master_Comyn

Nov 17, 2000
    Neat, but how do you pronounce that?

20. Vidina

Jan 11, 2006
    like this: sick-sense. :p

21. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    Certainly makes it more cinematic. Images just look better longer than taller. That is why I do not like pillar boxing. I understand it's the only way to view original 4:3 works (Citizen Kane, Simpsons, I Love Lucy) on 16:9 TV screens but it still is very much annoying.

I think you mean Nelson.

22. DarthRicmu

DarthRicmu Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    Jeeha... just have to say it out loud... WE won an EMMY AGAIN!!!!

:p

23. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
  24. Vidina

Jan 11, 2006
    Seconded.

25. DarthRicmu

DarthRicmu Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    To clarify :)

:D

The second Dutch TV show that wins an Emmy this year :)
    (first one was from our crime reporter Peter r. De Vries who had a report on Natalee Holloway)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.