main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ironies of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by nknx2005, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    I will never find anything more ironic than how Anakin Skywalker only turned to the dark side to save his wife from death, but ended up causing her to die.

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    That stories taken "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" turn out to really be about his dad.

3. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004

Yeah, Lando and Wedge blowing up DS2 was an unconditional love.

Kinda like when a parent spanks his kid and says, "I'm doing this outta love for you."

Very peaceful conclusion to the Empire/Rebel war.

4. mspadme69

mspadme69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2007
    anakin growing up on planet with twin suns...then has twins....
    Same with luke watching the twin suns in anh and the irony is he was a twin..(i cant help but feel that was shown on purpose, to maybe be a hint as to what was to come..).

5. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005

ooooooh good one!

As a corollary to the "vader turned for love and back for love" I always see it more :

Anakin turns to the dark side because of misguided love and Vader turns back because of hatred for the emporer unleashed by his compassion for Luke. His very vision of using the Dark Side to SAVE someone in the end, is the truth. Ultimate aggression and betrayal against Sids!! Lovely

6. mspadme69

mspadme69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2007
    pinkpuff thats the way i see it also..its the only thing that makes sense.

7. backseatwitme16

backseatwitme16 Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2007
    i think a huge irony is that anakin had visons of padme dying while giving birth. this is what made him desire the dark side of the forces powers.
    The reason Padme dies though, is because she lost the desire to live because of Anakin turning to the dark side.

8. backseatwitme16

backseatwitme16 Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2007
    anyone agree?

9. pinkpenguin

pinkpenguin Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2007
    yeah i do
    i have mentioned it countless times, one of the overlooked ironies of the saga!

its not really an irony, more just terrible writing

EpIII, battle on Mustafar, Obi-Wan says....

'Only a Sith deals in absolutes' *<<-----Oxymoron alert!!!*

Something you arent telling us Obi?

I hope people get it...took me a couple of viewings to notice the problem with that statement

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    We know Obi-Wan drinks... I think he was trying to say "only a Sith deals in Absolut"

11. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Obi-Wan's comment, as I understand it, is rooted in Middle Eastern philosophy. When Obi-Wan accuses Anakin of dealing only in absolutes, he's referring specifically to Anakin's inflexible nature, where he is unable or unwilling to see things from a different perspective. Anakin's thinking is absolute in the sense that he sees himself as right and everybody else as wrong, i.e. "If you're not for me then you're against me!" Thus, Obi-Wan's statement is correct and not contradictory.

12. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    Dont know if this irony or not ..but in AOTC papaltine tells padme"The thought of losing you is unbearable" and in ROTS anakin is basically saying to paplatine the same thing "I cant live without her".i realize though paplatine was probably lying when he said that to padme but it is something i thought about.:)

13. Lord-Kayne

Lord-Kayne Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2007
    My favorite humorous Irony in The Saga is in Episode II, in the Obi-wan and Anakin vs. Dooku/Yoda vs. dooku scene. When Yoda walks in he appears burdened by the task of walking a few steps, but he soon drops his cane and pulls his lightsaber, proceeding to run, jump, and flip faster than our eyes can track him. After Dooku drops the pillar and escapes (and Yoda catches it with the Force), Yoda picks up his cane and resumes his appearance of a frail old alien. This Irony (among other things) is what made Yoda my favorite character.

14. horace

horace Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2007
    I'm not sure this is irony. He actually "did not", rather than simply tried. He did not defeat Sidious, but he certainly didn't set out to "try". It has more to do with the attitude in approaching a task than the outcome. (i.e., don't set out to try.)

I think the initial statement (Do or do not...) has little to do with an absolutism. It's like a door - it is either open or closed, there is no such thing as partly open or partly closed. It's tackling a defeatist way of thinking that is an obstacle to success (trying), rather than a mindset related to ideology - which is where absolutism comes in.

I think the greater irony is suggesting only Siths deal in absolutes, then saying Palpatine is evil. Good/Evil distinctions are absolutes. As Anakin points out, from his point of view the Jedi are evil. The real problem comes in when you are unable to examine your own actions and see how they might be harming others - and this seems more a Sith trait than a Jedi trait.

But saying this, perhaps I'm being a bit absolutist.

15. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Making a series of films called Star Wars and only have 4 of the 6 films featuring a war.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    5 of the 6.

17. Nichtganz

Nichtganz Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2007
    Some Ironies:

Building a space station of mass resources, and time. and don't take the time to put rails on the outside of the ship (to prevent fighters and bombers from entering).

Bringing a golden droid to a ambush in a forest.

An Elite division of stormtroopers being taken out by teddy bears and small squad of rebels. And mind you he only sent 100 to protect the death star's only defense. To make matters worse, the Ewok's only had one causality v.s all the storm trooper causalities.

Han solo can take on lot's of stormtroopers on the death star but is easily overpowered by a few teddy bears.

Stormtrooper armor which can suppsedly protect them from the galaxies deadly weapons, and is copied from mandalorian design, is easily trumped by Ewok bow+arrows.

Even though Lando was responsible for Han's capture he did the easiest job when it came to capturing him.

The Galaxy's deadliest bounty hunter is defeated by a blind man.

Imperial speeders are designed to jam the radios of other Imperial speeders.

A super star destroyer can be destroyed when a small one man fighter crashes into it

18. DarkStarkiller

DarkStarkiller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2007
    How Vader/Anakin is wanting to stop the people he loves from death so badly, he actually starts killing Jedi.

To stop the killing of 1 person (Padme'), he must must go and kill many people.

19. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    QFT

[face_laugh]

Anyway, one of the bigger ironies is that he swore himself to the Emperor to 'save the people he cared about from dying' yet his anger and hate killed Padme.

20. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    "This Gungan may be of help."
    --Qui-Gon Jinn

21. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    That stories taken "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" turn out to really be about his dad.

LOL!!!

22. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    Padmé: I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life.

I don't know if this is ironic but even though Padmé felt that she couldn't live without Anakin's love, his love for her drove him to do things that broke her heart and ended up killing her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.