main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Irreplaceable things the prequels gave to the Star Wars Franchise.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Daxon101, Jun 24, 2017.

1. realjim949

realjim949 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 22, 2017
    Here’s one I’m surprised nobody has mentioned. Many famous fantasies (and Star Wars is a fantasy) have their own internal mythology and legendry. The Lord of the Rings has The Tale of Beren and Lúthien. Game of Thrones has The Tale of the Rat Cook, among others. Even Harry Potter has The Tale of the Three Brothers.

However, Star Wars did not have its own internal mythos for the longest time. That all changed near the end of the prequel trilogy with The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis. Instead of relating this information in the form of exposition, as in previous films, he imparts it in the form of a legend or a fable. Yes, it’s heavily implied that Palpatine was, in fact, the apprentice in the story and that he’s obscuring his own role in the story, but that means that we’re already seeing the tale being embellished and added to with each telling.

If there’s one element from the prequels I really wanna see carry over to the new films, it’s the idea that this universe has its own set of legends, myths, and fables.

2. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    It made Star Wars more mature (subjective, I suppose) and complex
    Breathtaking new planets
    New sides of old characters like Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Palpatine
    New interesting characters like Padmé, Dooku, Windu, Qui-Gon
    The best era in the Star Wars universe (my opinion)
    My favorite and 2nd favorite Star Wars soundtracks (ROTS, TPM)
    More philosophical elements
    Blurred sides (not clear cut good and evil); a more grey storyline
    The Clone Wars

Did I miss anything?

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Memories. TPM was the last movie I went to the cinema with my mum, AOTC and RoTS were both seen on dates. The PT represented my teenage years and Star Wars was an escape for me; a fantasy world, which I loved, and characters who I desired to be.

My generation got to see the digitally remastered movies in the 90s, but this was a whole expansion on the franchise for us.

4. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    "Sith" and "Sith Lord" for sure.

I don't think most Star Wars fans appreciate how the term Sith was ever once uttered in the OT, and more casual fans may not even realize it. Sure it didn't originate with the prequels, but the prequels sure popularized it, to the point where everybody now just treats it like it was canon all along. Compare the context of its usage with the context of "Midi-chlorian" for instance. Mention Midi-chlorians to some Internet blogger and there's a strong possibility you'll get a reaction like "eww prequels, worst movies everrrr, fail in every way, Midi-chlorians ruined the Force" but mention Sith and it'll be more like "yeah Star Wars is awesome, I love Darth Vader and Force lightning and Force chokes." But both are basically products of the prequels. "Sith" has enriched and become an irreplaceable part of the pop cultural idea of Star Wars, even as Midi-chlorians supposedly screwed it up forever. So... the prequels: fans can't have Star Wars with them, but they certainly can't have Star Wars without them.

ss640 and crapiola like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    San Jackson in Star Wars. :p

crapiola likes this.
  6. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    He should have been a Sith and screamed " Yes I am glad they died and hope they burn in hell " at Yoda lol

crapiola likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Nah him being a Jedi was great

crapiola likes this.
  8. Tristan the Trilobite

Tristan the Trilobite Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2017
    um, the Jedi Council Forums...? *drum roll*.... Seriously, there are so many assets, I'm going structurally not per detail:

- The greatest dystopian downfall story in B-movies history: Showing how demagogues can make a democracy and a people stumble over their own failings and corruption into darkness - all that mirrored by the tragedy of a young man destroying everything he swore to protect.
    Note how the Empire slowly grows out of the Republic like a cancer: this is demonstrated by the evolutionary ship designs too (eg Starfighter as police ship has basic form of Stardestroyers etc).

- One of the best written scheming villains ever (Palpatine, not Maul!), who actually WINS in the end by wiping out all his enemies (Jedi) and allies (Dooku, Grievous, Federations etc).

- Accordingly, one of the most awesome rise to power narrative - beginning with Ep I (making Palps chancellor) EpII (creating civil war and an army) to EpIII (corrupting everything and destroy them all).

- Designs: The best and most creative assortment of designs in film history only rivaled and surpassed by the OT: new vehicle concepts like pod racers, Jedi Starfighters, 6 feet walkers, battle droid armies etc (my fav: hail fire droids)

- World building: Imaginative worlds and planet designs far surpassing the OT, such as Naboo, Couruscant, Geonosis, Kamino, Mustafar etc.

- A institutional and narrative backbone: in the OT things like the capitol or the Sith or their workings are not even mentioned

- Order 66 and the Jedi immolation

- The Balance of the Force concept (meaning destruction of the dark side as a disease/disturbance, not equivalence of dark and bright)

- The music (self evident unless you are tone deaf), sound design and many, many wonderfully cheesy quotes.

- Some great action scenes and fight - the Yoda vs Palps where they figuratively and literally destroy the Senate (Democracy) is one of the best metaphors ever, and yeah the Ep1 fight is great and very lethal too.

Last but not least, the PT made me a fan after years of refusal to watch that "kiddy crap".

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Brilliant post, Tristan. I agree with every word.

Tristan the Trilobite likes this.
  10. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    A nice symmetrical war for the EU to work wonders with.

11. crapiola

crapiola Jedi Knight

Apr 7, 2016

I love this summation! Did he do it in a tweet or an interview?

12. crapiola

crapiola Jedi Knight

Apr 7, 2016

Yes! Absolutely.

It is common among prequel haters to particularly dislike TPM and/or ignore it when they grudgingly watch some of the prequels in the machete order. (To psychoanalyze a bit, it makes sense, as it's a reflection of those SW fans - as they aged - being unable to enjoy the relatively lighter and more optimistic third of the prequels.) And these type of prequel haters usually complain about the fact that there's nothing important about TPM anyway, that it adds nothing to the storyline and that Anakin should just have been some random Padawan. (To psychoanalyze further, I wonder how many of these SW fans are more into sci-fi than fantasy, where the trope of the Destined One is a cliché.)

The whole point is that Anakin Skywalker is not a random Jedi who turns bad, but a good kid, with a good parental role model, who was optimistic and happy overall - even while being a slave. That the kid who became Darth Vader did so BECAUSE of the Jedi taking him from his mother and teaching him that attachment was bad, BECAUSE the bad guy was kind to him and became a parental role model, and because it was his destiny. Anakin is a victim of the Force as well, if one were to see the Force as a type of extension of nature that was reacting to happenings in the galaxy.

Also, although it is a cliché of fantasy fiction, the Destined One is a trope that is successful for a reason. It allows the readers - especially with massively long series or more commonly trilogies - to connect with a character that is brought into a world of magic and thus explaining the rules and the stakes of the world. Magical worldbuilding is easier to explain to the reader through characters who are learning about the world as we do.

I'm in my forties, so I grew up loving the OT, but the PT elevated the whole saga for me - as a fantasy fan - because it took a well made Hero's Journey storyline into an epic fantasy one (I refer to the subgenre which is credited to begin with Lord of the Rings). I've seen all of the movies so many times, it's unlikely for me to see and watch one from beginning to end (unless I'm showing them to a Star Wars virgin), but I put on scenes all the time, and outside of the Luke/Vader/Emperor scene, I am much more likely to put on a prequel scene.

Anyway, those are my two cents.

13. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise

MarcJordan likes this.
  14. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    The Clones - we now know who the Storm Troopers are based on.
    TCW TV show - needed the PT as the template. TCW is basically the animated version of the PT and features many characters from it.
    Pod Racing - Disney could make a whole movie or cartoon based on that alone.

15. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Eopies. I love those guys.

MarcJordan likes this.
  16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    More quality, scope, depth and authenticity.

17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    And in other realms of entertainment, I honestly wouldn't mind a more modern take on Racer Revenge. Podracers could make for a kickass racing game

18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016

Mario Kart: Star Wars Edition - Podracing!

19. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    "Don't center on your anxieties"

MJ

20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    "Well, whaddya know?"

:p

Visivious Drakarn and MarcJordan like this.
  21. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    What irreplaceable thing?

Almost two decades on from the OT - it gave Star Wars continued life - it gave it an existence in the hearts of the continuing generation of many and made it the continuing universe it is today - the upcoming films included.

...and also great action scenes, and lightsaber combat and great new locations etc. etc. ;)

MarcJordan likes this.
  22. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    That would make sense if the heroes of the film weren't equally as derivative of the OT.

Regardless, I don't think Star Wars should be some self-referential meta narrative about Star Wars. Star Wars is about bigger and more transcendent things than the consumerist culture surrounding itself.

L110 and Subtext Mining like this.
  23. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Jurassic World tried this "self-referential meta narrative about itself" schtick as well. Didn´t stop it from being a trash either.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  24. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think its abit unfair to say Kylo doesn't acknowledge Anakin because most of the people involved with this franchise including lucas himself have tried to separate anakin from Vader because i assume they wanted to show that anakin is good and vader is bad?

Vader visually is something else, a symbol to kylo who he likely doesn't care who is under the helmet

Another example would be in rebels where Vaders mask is half broken and you can see Anakins eye underneath and you are almost getting half anakin and half vader right there with Ashoka

Although Personally is suspect Hayden will cameo in TLJ but we will see.

25. jarjarbinksthegungan

jarjarbinksthegungan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2017
    I personally think Jar Jar is irreplaceable. Not only because he's funny, but because his innocense really helps things go in Palpatine's favor in Attack of the Clones and afterward.

MarcJordan likes this.