main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is a Director's Cut warranted?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by IG_2000, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    So, I don't have a problem with ANY of the footage we have now, my main problem with the film (mostly in the middle) is some noticeable chunks cut out - nothing DETRIMENTAL to the story, but lots of material to be mined.

We have:

Zuvio/Sarco Plank
    Senate on Hosnian Prime
    Maz at the Resistance base
    Chase scene with snow speeder at Starkiller Base (in which Finn gives Rey his jacket)

Especially if Disney wants to outdo Avatar (which from what I remember had an extended cut released in theaters), I think they should totally go for it.

2. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    They can probably use that scene with Unkar Plutt getting his arm ripped off by Chewbacca at Maz's castle since it's now canon in the novel and we are likely going to see Unkar again.

dekaneas likes this.
  3. George_W_Boushh

George_W_Boushh Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2001
    I look at "The Force Awakens" as I do with R2-D2's star map; there is a chunk missing to make it complete. Unfortunately, I do not see JJ Abrams or Disney releasing a Director's cut if they are also aware of the YUUUUGE fan outcry for the original cuts of the original trilogy to be released.

4. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    What makes you think this isn't the director's cut? Lucas didn't have the power of the director's cut for THX and AG, but since then he's had that power. Why wouldn't JJ have that same power? And Rian and Colin? George is a great editor and cuts the film to his standards--until he decides on a new edition. JJ isn't chopped liver or a hired gun.

5. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Director's cut or not, I'll get my Blu-Ray edition on June 1st for sure.

dekaneas likes this.
  6. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    There will defo be an extended cut... after this trilogy finishes i suspect

7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think this film is the directors cut. But I know what you mean, an extended edition that incorporates the deleted scenes. I always like that option when they are added as an extra on a blu ray for instance. I'd love to see one for this film too.

8. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Yeah, I mean "extended cut". I'm sure the cuts were his idea, but I'm sure Disney had an edict to run under a certain amount of time to increase theater showings.

(Not knocking disney, they are a business, they need to do what generates most revenue)

Also, restoring scenes cut from the theatrical release of TFA is NOT the same as the special editions of Star Wars. OT. New scenes added to TFA = new SW content = happy fanboys = $$$

9. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    The novel is the extended cut and it added basically nothing bar explain how Poe gets back to the Resistance, so no I wouldn't say its warranted much at all.

Green Gogol likes this.
  10. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    More important than the scenes mentioned above I would like an extended edition that features longer cuts during the final half of the movie, From the resistance base onward it just seems rushed. I want more scenes with the X-Wing pilots for example. Snap was marketed to be the new Wedge and well, he had less screentime and lines than poor Porkins. Same with Pava and Numb. I am sure there were more scenes with Phasma shot as well which wouldn't hurt the movie.

In a perfect world this new trilogy would get the same treatment as Peter Jackson's movies, with an extended cut around christmas with tons of Making of's ( I probably have wathed the appendices of LOTR more often than the movies, lol)

11. DD-1110

DD-1110 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    Personally, I would like an infinitely extended edition. I never wanted to leave the theater. If he's willing, I would be very grateful to see the longest possible version of this film and every single scene that was filmed. In terms of look cast, production, cinematography, effects, cast, zeitgeist, character, cast and cast, TFA is my personal favorite Star Wars and I'd love to see more of this stellar cast.

Especially Gwendoline Christie, Oscar Isaac, and Carrie Fisher. Gwendoline Christie's absence was shocking, especially after all the press that made it seem like she was gonna be this intensely significant 'first female villain.' The number of words she's had to use to describe how 'important' her character is and how 'proud' she is to play this role are VASTLY more words than she speaks in the entire film. She was a big draw for me, and her absence was a HUGE letdown.

Also, I've seen some complaining about Carrie Fisher's performance. I don't get it. I thought she was great. That unfortunate expository scene was hard for anybody, but they both kept me in the moment. Plus, I just love her.

And who doesn't love both Oscar Isaac and Poe. Way more of all three, please!

Sarge and JeanNo like this.
  12. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    The only change I'd like to see would be a scene with Chewie and Leia or hell...anyone properly mourning Han.

But really...no Director's Cut please...that'd open up a huge can of worms in regards to "canon" that could destroy the internet as we know it. :p

13. Laxalt

Laxalt Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    Wow, didn't realise it would be that long until it was released. Looks like I'm going back to the cinema then.

14. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I've said this in other threads, but I really do like the model of a shorter, more tightly edited theatrical film and a longer, more expositive BD release. Those who don't exposition anchors in their movie can get that, and those more interested into delving into details and side plots can have that on BD. I prefer to see the more tightly edited version initially too, since it's sets the hook so to speak. I really liked that model for LOTR (even if I disagreed with Jackson at times on what he decided to keep and cut for the theatrical release). Nowadays, I ALWAYS watch the extended cuts, and I'd likely do the same with Star Wars movies. Want to see it really bad. In fact, I personally think directors who think in that way as they making the movie are awesome. WE really are in a different age now,and we should embrace that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.