main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is A New Hope.......Meh?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by rhonderoo, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    All of the movies were great to me. ROTS adn ROTJ were the highlights because the hero falls and rises again in dynamic scenes. But ANH was, as a first movie, very cool. The characters were hilarious and fun, the sky battles were kick and teh lightsaber fights were new and killer cool. But what happened was after the PT, the CT lacked dynamics - the lightsaber, starfighter and land battles were not comparable - the effects had just improved and the dueling sequences were just far better - so it kind of made ANH seem lacking. But when it arrived as the first, there was nothing to compare and it was awesome.

2. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    What you just described is a lack of visual continuity between the movies. George could have toned down the fights in the PT, but chose not to. In doing so, he caused a very noticeable rift between the two trilogies. This rift is the heart of the whole OT versus PT debate. Some prefer the style of the OT (me) and some prefer the blockbuster feel of the PT. It's too bad more care wasn't taken to merge the two sets of films more seamlessly. This lack of care on George's part in no way makes ANH "MEH" in my opinion.

3. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I just watched the film three times in a row: First, the Adywan "revisited" edit, which has its technical merits; followed by the Original Unaltered Version from the Bonus Disk (the version I grew up with 1977-1997); and finally the 2004 SE-DVD. I still find the film absolutely riveting throughout, and I cannot understand how the expression "meh" could be uttered in conjunction with this stunning, unique and exciting movie -- whatever version one chooses to watch.

4. Moris

Moris Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2008
    The magic about the SW is the meaning of the force, like a true religion, my friend Moris Beracha is learning about the way of the force, ultimate goal: to be a Jedi, we think all can do it, at least in our soul. Without fear.

5. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    How odd that you and your friend share the same first name. :D

On the topic, though, Moris, what do you think of the idea that the original STAR WARS film is "meh"?

6. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    Wow... This has been beaten to death.

D_M_S_L

7. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Thank you for that insightful comment. Do you have anything to add to the discussion?

8. MasterEric

MasterEric Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 3, 2007
    I watched all six films a while back and actually enjoyed ANH. The reason for that is rather ironic: for the first time I was truly able to watch it in the context of the prequels, as Lucas has been saying for a while now is how it should be watched, and it made the movie enjoyable for me. When I realized this I just had to laugh that it took the prequels for me to enjoy ANH, if thinking ANH was meh was blasphemy, I can only imagine what this is.[face_laugh] I finally understand what he has been talking about with the whole "saga that should be viewed 1-6" concept. For me personally, it took the prequels adding another layer of depth to ANH for me to "get into it" and take pleasure in watching the movie.

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    When the RotS spoiler period was over I made a thread about what the PT added to the CT. Not sure whether it was very successful, but I could think of dozens of things, though not only to ANH, of course.

10. IDigMetalBikinis

IDigMetalBikinis Jedi Master star 2

Oct 1, 2003
    "...I watched all six films a while back and actually enjoyed ANH. The reason for that is rather ironic: for the first time I was truly able to watch it in the context of the prequels, as Lucas has been saying for a while now is how it should be watched, and it made the movie enjoyable for me. When I realized this I just had to laugh that it took the prequels for me to enjoy ANH..."

Jeez, what is this world coming to? It took THE PREQUELS for you to enjoy one of the greatest films ever made? So, you're not saying that the prequels enhanced AHN for you or gave it an added dimension, as many posters in this thread have stated. You are saying that you were only able to enjoy ANH because of the PT?

No offense, but I can't even begin to pretend to undertand that kind of perception.

11. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    In related news, Raiders is only good if you watch Temple of Doom first.
    Superman: the Movie is only good if you watch Smallville first.
    Tim Burton's Batman is only good if you watch the 1960s Batman first.
    Lord of the Rings is only good if you watch the animated The Hobbit first.

12. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    ? [face_tired] Since when do movies have to be good if they are only compared in context to other movies? ANH is the best Sci-fi and SW movie ever.

13. MasterEric

MasterEric Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 3, 2007
    Correct. No offense taken at all;[face_peace] actually that was the reason for me laughing upon realization, knowing how preposterous 99% of star wars fans would find such an idea.

Personal opinion, or do I detect a hint of sarcasm?o_O

14. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
  15. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    geez, the others add something to it, they aren't the "only reason they're good". always with the overdramatization

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    A malignant tumor adds something to your body, too...

17. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    So if I think that the prequels add something to the originals, I support brain tumors? o_O

18. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    now you're just being...
    let's just say that wasn't quite as clever as you thought it was
    please stop trying

19. professa_rocco

professa_rocco Jedi Knight

Feb 26, 2008
    ANH is wihout a dobt the most fun star wars movie
    a lot of people feel it slow, but it has an energy (through the eyes of luke) none of the others capture

anyone who finds this movie dull can't have seen it in '77
    every time i watch it i'm 6 yrs old again - no other movie ever has that effect on me

adywans fan edit has re-newed that feeling
    if you haven't seen it GET IT NOW (actually wait until this weekend for the DVD-5 version - a few upgrades from the xvid)

figrin d'an and the modal nodes - best band name ever!

20. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    We'll have to agree to disagree on the issue of my cleverness.

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Indeed. ;)

22. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    I'm just surprised no one has jumped in to defend the PT by saying "Eet's naht a too-mah!"

23. DarthAnakin101

DarthAnakin101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2005
    As someone who grew up with the PT, I have to say that I find the original trilogy less...mesmorizing. Don't get me wrong, I love all the Star Wars films, but I just could never get into the OT as much as the PT. I think that they are all great films, but I just happen to like the PT more.

That being said, I don't find ANH "meh" so much as slow paced. Of course, the second Luke ignites his father's lightsaber I'm hooked (I've always found lightsabers aluring for some reason). I'm growing to understand the subtle emotional shifts in the characters now, and once I can watch it again (when I'm home for a showing on HBO) I think I'll see it in a whole new light based on this discussion.

24. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    It's a headache!

25. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    ANH is great for its own reasons, particularly the energy, the wit, and the pacing of the film, there is a LOT of fun and adventure in ANH. I always had a *little* disappointment in watching it because all the Jedi/Sith stuff takes a major backseat to the spaceships and the blasters and the stormstroopers and Death Star and all that, but it's okay, because sometimes I find that I'm much more in the mood for ANH kind of Star Wars over a more serious, dramatic, emotional SW film like ROTS or ESB which I think is a little TOO heavy on all the Jedi/Sith/Force stuff.

I like a healthy blend of both which is probably why ROTJ is my favorite of all 6 films. It's the PERFECT Star Wars movie IMO.

P.S. I like your responses to some of these comments Vortigern99 , you're pretty darn funny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.