Is a nuclear attack on U.S. soil inevitable?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth Fierce, Jun 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Fierce Jedi Master

star 4
    Do you believe terrorists are close enough to acquiring nukes (if they haven't already) that there's little chance of them being stopped from attacking with them? Or is it still too difficult for them to smuggle them into the U.S.? Is the threat of suitcase nukes legit?

There's also growing concern that Pakistan's nukes could be hijacked by terrorists. And our own plants could certainly be targets.

It seems fatalistic to predict a nuclear attack, but considering the availability of the technology, the vast amount of resources terrorist groups have, and their obvious hatred, it almost seems like an inevitability at this point. Am I wrong, or will the U.S. take a major hit in the very foreseeable future?
  2. Kesel Jedi Master

star 4
    So far no one's been crazy enough to use a nuclear weapon since the bombings on Japan in WWII. Then again, these terrrorists aren't the most rational individuals either. I'd like to think not, but I can't be sure.
    That shack in the woods is looking better every day.
  3. Wylding Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sad to say I think it's more than likely that they already have nukes. I remember a Newsweek article several years back saying how the Russians couldn't account for all of their nukes...it implied that they could have been stolen or sold by immoral generals.

4. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    According to someone CNN interviewed--I forgot who he was--(a few weeks ago, if not a month ago), yes, nuclear war on American soil is inevitable. I think it's been said that people my age (I'm 19) will be sure to see a nuclear war during our lifetime.

The news is filled with pessimistic propaganda! :eek: :_|

:p

5. Darth Zane Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, if there is a Nuke attack, then it will be one of the only times that I'm glad to live in Bentonville, ARkansas, one of the most middle-of-knowhere towns in the world!
  6. Commander Antilles Force Ghost

star 6
    Given the state of the Russian security on nuclear weapons, it's very easy to imagine terrorists getting their hands on anything from weapons grade plutonium or uranium, which they can use to make a "dirty bomb" or proper nuclear weapon, or simply buy/steal one.
  7. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I want to deny it, but yes it's most likely. NY, LA, or Wash DC the most likely targets. When presented a situation like this one can see why very few spoke out against the internment camps in WW2. Understand I'm not suggesting such a thing and do not condone it (most are US citizens just as loyal as you or I), but it's easier to understand their decision. I wonder how I'd feel if a nuclear attack actually took place. When presented with such a willingness to use nukes, would we stay so open minded and trusting, or would we as a nation become bigots? Also, how serious do you think we'd respond after such an attack? Would we go in full force to the Phillipines, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Sudan and others to rid them of all hostiles?
  8. CUBIE_HOLE Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes and no. If we continue to pursue those who wish to destroy us, then possibly not, but I do believe it will require much more aggression and extreme measures on our part.

It basically comes down to how down and dirty are we willing to get? The biggest thing against us is the fact that a lot of Middle Eastern countries either directly support terrorism or turn their heads and ignore it. These countries, IMHO, simply just don't care, because it doesn't directly effect them. I would be willing to bet anything that you would see a lot more 'help' from these countries if it came down to either they help us, or be destroyed. Because it's not really these 'countries' or the common person in said countries that are the problem, but instead, the leader(s) and people in power that are the problem. I think it would be very surprising at how quickly attitudes in the Middle East would change when such regimes are in danger of loosing their place of power and control.

However, it's still not easy to get nuclear weapons/materials, etc. Yes, these terrorists do have vast resources, but I just don't know. There are plenty of countries who have more resources than these terrorists, and yet it's still difficult for them acquire such weapons.
  9. JediTre11 Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe not inevitable, but certainly possible. If large amounts of drugs can be brought in then why not a small nuclear weapon? The thing that scares me is the possiblility of getting one on a ship container. I don't know how swayed those reports were, but it does seem an ideal way to hit any major port.

As far as seeing an attack in our lifetime...they've been saying that since the beginning of the Cold War. Thats just propaganda to get the younger generations interested.
  10. CheeseyWanKenobi Jedi Knight

It is a question of when, not if, it will happen.

NY, LA, and DC were mentioned as targets, but I would not rule out Norfolk, VA. It is the largest military installation on the East Coast; I would choose Norfolk in order to hamper reactionary military response. It just makes sense.
  11. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The man proclaiming a new wave of attacks are about to be unleashed said buildings and civilians were the targets. So according to him military targets are not a concern, which would follow suit of what is happening in Israel. What is it with terrorists? They'll happily kill innocent civilians but are afraid of engaging or attacking military forces? Despite what Bill Mahr thinks, it's cowardly when you attack the unarmed and defenseless. Wether the attacker dies or not only speaks to their intelligence and ability, not bravery.
  12. Lord_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I think that the threat of a nuclear strike on U.S. is now more likely to happen than in the days of the Cold War.
  13. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    i'm scared to death that if there is another terrorist attack, it's going to be here in Los Angeles. :(
  14. Lieutenant Tschel Jedi Knight

star 2
    ugh, I live just a bit away from Vandenberg Air Force Base, if it was to be hit by a nuke I'd be far enough not to be killed in the blast, but close enough to get some horrible radiation poisoning and die and agonized death.
  15. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    The thought of a nuclear attack on US soil is just so overwhelming it doesn't seem possible, but facts don't lie, and the facts are that they are terrifying easy to get.

Tunick - I doubt LA would be the target. I think NYC or DC would be the primary targets.
  16. Anakin2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with you Admiral. What makes it so terrifying for me is that I live in NYC and I have no options to relocate.

Besides I rather go quickly than die slowly of radiation exposure like in "The Day After".

Too bad we couldn't nuke them before they do it to us.
  17. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Too bad we couldn't nuke them before they do it to us.

The problem with a war on terrorism is that your enemies could be anyone, anywhere. And, I think countries frown upon people nuking an entire country to kill one suspected terrorist.

There's really nothing that can be done except costly security, which is exactly what the terrorist are trying to force you to do. The situation's a real bugger, I tell you.
  18. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Admiral, i know NYC & DC are the primary targets, but that doesn't make L.A. immune. we are the 2nd largest city in the U.S., & we've got the Hollywood sign, Capitol Records, the crowded freeways, Univeral City Walk & the upcoming Lakers games. i really, really hate to say this, but there is a bunch of areas for terrorists to attack here & that's what i'm afraid of. the Hollywood sign might not seem like much a loss, but god forbid if terrorists were to crash a plane from LAX into that hillside on a hot, dry day, there will be a massive wildfire that will most likely destroy the sign, & burn most of the hillside.
  19. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I hope that there is never another nuclear attack. Anywhere. Any time that a civilian has to die, just because he or she went to work in the morning, is a tragedy.

I think that if there is a nuclear attack in the US, it won't be as large as the US attacks on Japan. I agree with those above, who stated that LA, NY, and DC were probably the three largest risks. I also think that Florida could be considered a risk. What is in Florida, that represents the freedoms Americans have? Disney World. Just about every child has dreamed of going to Disney World, and a lot of them get to live out that dream. Another possible target could be Mount Rushmore. Perhaps not so much with a nuclear attack, but an attack of any type. Any place that symbolizes what it is to be an American could be next.

Hopefully, we won't ever see another nuclear attack. If anyone attacks the US with a nuclear weapon, I think the US would retaliate with nuclear weaponry. Before long, mankind would be a thing of the past. Nuclear weapons are a strong tool. Hopefully, they'll never need to be used again.
  20. ArtificialStupidity Jedi Knight

star 3
    It is a possibility - yet I suggest you to not paint devils into the walls surrounding you. Perhaps the fear that is caused by the thread of a Nuclear raid represents the reaction Terrorists want to see.

I would not limit the possible targets for a Nuclear attack into three multi-million cities in America. Europe could be attacked as well - and the main targets in European soil would be Bryssel, Berlin ( in Germany ) and London ( in Great Britain ). Terrorists are very unpredictable - they have surprised us once, and they could surprise us again.
  21. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Tunick: "i'm scared to death that if there is another terrorist attack, it's going to be here in Los Angeles."

Yeah, and I live in Orlando. We had a terrorist warning on our water a few weeks ago. :(

22. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    the Hollywood sign might not seem like much a loss, but god forbid if terrorists were to crash a plane from LAX into that hillside on a hot, dry day, there will be a massive wildfire that will most likely destroy the sign, & burn most of the hillside.

I don't think there's anything to worry about there. If a terrorist hijacks a plane heading out of LAX, they're much more likely to crash it into the tallest LA building than they are a sign on a hilltop. Sure, it's a landmark, but they'd still be wiser to choose the building, and they're not stupid.

____" AT60 "____
  23. obi-wannabe1 Jedi Master

star 4
    i think there's a good chance of it happening (could even be very soon).

the terrorists aren't afraid of us. they are hiding all over the world. if they strike at us, there is no clear enemy to strike back at. as soon as they get a bomb and find a safe way to get into the country, you can be sure that they will use it.
  24. Lord_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Let me giv you some europeen perspective:when the WTC went down a lot of guys here started making jokes(like-do you know what a tower said to the other?It´s see you down there).Besides I know people that always said that a big terrorist attack in U.S. would be inevitable.
  25. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm morbidly curious to see what the world response would be to a nuclear attack on US soil. Would they still say we deserved it? Would they still jeer the members of NATO for joining with the US?

To what extent will the world accept US fatalities as our "come-uppin's"? At what point will everyone stop and think, "Hey, this is dangerous to me, too."?

I think a nuclear attack on US soil is a sadly probable. The mindset of modern terrorists prove they are willing to do anything at any cost. How do you prevent that? How do you fight it??
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.