Is America ready for legalized Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by SaberSlinger, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devilanse Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Consider yourself warned.

Anyhow...back to the topic at hand. Just because something is illegal, doesn't mean it should be. Just because a man in a suit and tie tells you it's wrong, doesn't mean its just.

I wish I could convince every American to NOT VOTE at the next Presidential election. Just imagine the looks on every politician's face if they found out that not one ballot was cast. I'm sure every news magazine would start running stories about why the American public would not vote.

I think that would the greatest triumph for the American citizen to date. Because the silly media would be scrambling for stories, and then, WE, the public would FINALLY get to be heard.

But that would never happen, right?
  2. chibiangi Force Ghost

star 4
    Red meat is bad for you. If you continue to eat it...you will get heart disease, obesity, etc.

There is no truth to that statement. Eating red meat in itself does not lead to those conditions.
  3. Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Knight

star 3
    It is too hard to stay away from this thread.

You know, I have no problem with people expressing there opinions, that is what makes this country great, the freedom of expression, but when someone comes on and tries to tell me what is right and wrong for me, that is when I have a problem. Cocaine used to be legal, where do you think Coca-Cola came from and why it was called that? These are politicians who say pot is the devil weed, and it does this and that to you. These are also the same guys who are discussing what is right and wrong for us while sipping their scotch and soda. This comment kills me:

So have all the personal free choice you want but be PREPARED to pay for that free choice with a drug charge being added to your drug record or possible jail time.

He also made comments about seeing first hand someone who was into drugs go down the wrong path. Was this person strung out on pot? I think not.

You have to have rules for a large society to thrive. Some things are done for control, period. They are always trying to make new laws, most of which they never mention till after the fact. How about the soda tax: All the kids are getting fat, so they must be drinking too much soda. Let's tax it more and make them pay, that will fix the fat kid problem. Are we on the same channel here? Here is another good one told to me by a friend, liberal, but good friend told me about. They are trying to pass into law a SUV tax. They plan of charging owners of SUV's, including trucks, Mini-Vans, and anything considered SUV .02 cents a mile at registration. What the hell is that? So where does all this extra money go? I know where it is not going, I feel it in my pocket book.

This all goes further than just pot is bad. It is about all these laws that are ridiculous.

I am rambling now...

And pigfeet, you made a comment about the bat and weapon. We did not read anything into that, you SAID it.

And I respect everyones right to an opinion. My right is to smoke pot if I want to, in the privacy of my own home. It does not affect you anymore than the drunk who drinks at his house in private. Same thing, no matter what you say.
  4. GeistDesFritz Jedi Knight

star 3
    well, just for kicks I'm going to post the rest of the stuff from the Marijuana page on www.drugwarfacts.org:

16. The authors of a 1998 World Health Organization report comparing marijuana, alcohol, nicotine and opiates quote the Institute of Medicine's 1982 report stating that there is no evidence that smoking marijuana "exerts a permanently deleterious effect on the normal cardiovascular system."

17. Some claim that cannabis use leads to "adult amotivation." The World Health Organization report addresses the issue and states, "it is doubtful that cannabis use produces a well defined amotivational syndrome." The report also notes that the value of studies which support the "adult amotivation" theory are "limited by their small sample sizes" and lack of representative social/cultural groups.

18. Australian researchers found that regions giving on-the-spot fines to marijuana users rather than harsher criminal penalties did not cause marijuana use to increase.

19. Since 1969, government-appointed commissions in the United States, Canada, England, Australia, and the Netherlands concluded, after reviewing the scientific evidence, that marijuana's dangers had previously been greatly exaggerated, and urged lawmakers to drastically reduce or eliminate penalties for marijuana possession.

20. In May of 1998, the Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse, National Working Group on Addictions Policy released policy a discussion document which recommended, "The severity of punishment for a cannabis possession charge should be reduced. Specifically, cannabis possession should be converted to a civil violation under the Contraventions Act." The paper further noted that, "The available evidence indicates that removal of jail as a sentencing option would lead to considerable cost savings without leading to increases in rates of cannabis use."

21. "Our conclusion is that the present law on cannabis produces more harm than it prevents. It is very expensive of the time and resources of the criminal justice system and especially of the police. It inevitably bears more heavily on young people in the streets of inner cities, who are also more likely to be from minority ethnic communities, and as such is inimical to police-community relations. It criminalizes large numbers of otherwise law-abiding, mainly young, people to the detriment of their futures. It has become a proxy for the control of public order; and it inhibits accurate education about the relative risks of different drugs including the risks of cannabis itself."

And that is that. I'd love to stay and argue, debate and everything...but alas, I'm going to be majorly busy. So, lot's of fun!
  5. DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Master

star 4
    Let the flame wars begin I guess with me. I know I said I would stay off but after reading the past page and half I think it's time for me to clarify myself once again and explain to some people around here things like a 5 year old.

"So when you try to see me think of a 6 foot 2 inch tall white guy with a baseball in his hand. Infact baseball bat is my perfered weapon. I cheered at during the movie Signs if you have seen the movie you know what I mean."

"And pigfeet, you made a comment about the bat and weapon. We did not read anything into that, you SAID it."

You were refering to this comment. First off I was talking about lean on me. If you ever saw that movie which you probably didn't since your making a big deal at what I said then you would know he holds up a bat and calls himself Batman instead of crazy Joe. So that is what I meant by the bat thing. Second if you had seen the movie Signs which you may or may not have then you would know what happens in that movie which I will not spoil it for any of you who haven't seen it but the movie has a scene involving the game of Baseball. That is all I meant by it so if you have an issue then here is a tissue. Chill out and stop making such a big deal about nothing.

"I am rambling now..."

Yes you are and so have I and everyone else on this thread. I'm glad you can admit to it.

"It does not affect you anymore than the drunk who drinks at his house in private. Same thing, no matter what you say"

Well sure it doesn't affect me if he is drunk in his house until the guy finds out he is out of beer and decides to drive drunk to go get more and then he is putting others lives in danger so your dead wrong again. So then it is my business and everyone elses whom he might kill while trying to get to the store to buy more.

"They are trying to pass into law a SUV tax. They plan of charging owners of SUV's, including trucks, Mini-Vans, and anything considered SUV .02 cents a mile at registration. What the hell is that? So where does all this extra money go? I know where it is not going, I feel it in my pocket book."

A bit off topic but your probably paying for all the polution your causing with that gas chugging machine that for some reason everyone has to buy these days. Heck people without large families are buying them for whatever reason. Your paying for all that gas and such. Now I doubt it's going to fight polution or stopping gas prices from going up but .02 cents isn't that big a deal. It must be a deterent which isn't the best way if you ask me, but if you want the 3 mile to the gallon SUV then you should have no problem in paying .02 cents since your paying ruffly 26 thousand for a standard SUV and then all the gas it takes. You can afford it.

"So have all the personal free choice you want but be PREPARED to pay for that free choice with a drug charge being added to your drug record or possible jail time.

He also made comments about seeing first hand someone who was into drugs go down the wrong path. Was this person strung out on pot? I think not."

I'm dead serious with that comment because this is what this debate boils down to. As of RIGHT now, it is illegal for you to smoke Pot and if you do so BE PREPARED TO GET IN TROUBLE. It's as simple as that. It's not going to change anytime soon and I as a citizen of the United States will try to keep it that way. Yes I saw FIRST hand something which you didn't see so you don't know what your talking about when I'm talking about my 3 friends who started with smoking Pot and ended up going down a very bad path. I wish they would have been caught and thrown in jail. Maybe it would have saved one of their lives instead of taking one of them.

"You know, I have no problem with people expressing there opinions"

Well based on your posts you have a BIG problem with mine, so stop playing innocent.
    Just admit your just as closed minded as I am.

I will admit that I'm very closed minded on this topic, but I have seen FIRST hand what this crap does and what it can lead to, and wantin
  6. KaineDamo Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Look Pigfeet, about your friends...
    They WOULD have ended up on that bad path with or without marijuana. There was bad in them, they have no one to blame but themselves. The MJ didn't just make them "evil" all of a sudden. They were people that would have made bad choices with or without MJ.

And how dare you call us stupid, commies, hippies, and other such nonsense just because we disagree with you. I've only ever smoked marijuana once, but you like to throw us all on the one boat, judge us and brand us.

You speak of people that turn to crime while on MJ, people that would drive while under the influence of MJ. Again, these are people that were already bad before they even touched MJ, MJ has nothing to do with the bad choices people make. And if an MJ user is already stoned, he has no reason to go out driving to get more MJ.

Again, you come off with this bull that we jkust have to do as we're told because thats the law. But when i think something is right, the law can be damned. You have no right to tell us to stop smoking MJ. End of story.
  7. Devilanse Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I warned you. See you in 48.
  8. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I believe this thread has reached the end of its road. I'm closing this now. If you have any objections, feel free to PM me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.