main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Is America ripe for the pickin?"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by BobaFrank, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I am a red, white, and blue, American. I love my country, and will fight for my country and what it stands for till the bitter end.

What scares me is the fact that I think we are "ripe for the pickin."

1. We have a horrible problem with ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION from South America which is weakening us from within.
    2. We are at war in Iraq where most of our Armed Forces are occupied.
    3. Iran, North Korea, Venuzela, and China are very formidable foes who have no respect for us and blatantly defy any recommendations in our foreign policy.

IMO, I feel America is at it's weakest point in history. The only thing that keeps us from being overrun is that we have nukes and have been the only country in history to use them on another country.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Might want to work a little on your geography.

3. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    What do you mean bro? If you're talking about the Illegal Immigrant commnent, IMO it's the biggest threat America faces today. Considering 20 million plus hispanic Illegal Immigrants are in my country, the statement I made about South America would be accurate.

4. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    If by "ripe for the pickin," you mean, "likely to be invaded and/or conquered as the result of a military defeat," I don't think you have anything to worry about. Physical territory has less value now than at any point in human history, and so no one really has any interest in conquering us, and anyone who could potentially square off with us militarily has more to gain from trading with us. Most of the rest of the major players have realized that military force as we understand it is, if not precisely obsolete, close to it, at least in the way that you mean.

I'm not even going to deal with the immigration stuff. I feel like I should just keep something on file somewhere and cut and paste it in situations like this.

5. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    So instead of military conquering, importation and trading is more impactful in the long run?

Trading with the enemy is still unstable IMO even though both sides prosper , but how do we deal with the ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION issue?

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Mexico is not part of South America.

7. ROTSFan

ROTSFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2006
    I think it's a big problem, and we need to lock our borders. Bush was promising to do that, but nothing came of it. At least Arnold had the cajones to not legalize illegal immigrant I.D.'s.

One wealthy man was willing to build a wall from his own funds to control the immigration problem. I don't know why we don't just take him up on it.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Trading with the enemy? o_O

BobaFrank, I work in international relations. Blacks and whites - good guy, bad guy - don't apply.

ES

9. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    KnightWriter, I know what you mean now. Thanks for the correction. [face_peace]

10. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    There was no bravery in Arnold doing that. Davis didn't either, and when he did it was one of the final kicks that led to him getting recalled.

And honestly, why would a country like China need to invade us when they've the advantage of a trade deficit in their favour, and I believe own a fair bit of our debt? Invading us is basically losing a return on an investment.

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    That and, if memory serves, the U.S. still has a military force that's larger than the rest of the world combined...[face_skull]

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    actually, by straight numbers of folks in it, that's not true. :p We do have the best-armed/trained large military in the world, but China has more dudes overall, I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Republic_Of_China#Military

With 2.25 million active troops, the People's Liberation Army (PLA) is currently the largest military in the world.[43] The PLA consists of an army, navy, air force, and strategic nuclear force. The official announced budget of the PLA for 2005 was $30 billion but total Military expenditure including non-official budget was $90 billion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA#Military

The United States has a long-standing tradition of civilian control over military affairs. The Department of Defense administers the U.S. armed forces, which comprise the Army, the Navy, the Marine Corps, and the Air Force. The Coast Guard falls under the jurisdiction of the Department of Homeland Security in peacetime but is placed under the Department of the Navy in times of war. The military of the United States comprises 1.4 million personnel on active duty,[36] along with several hundred thousand each in the Reserves and the National Guard.

They have more guys. We have fewer guys, but spend alot more per guy. Draw your own conclusions. :p

13. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001

They have more guys. We have fewer guys, but spend alot more per guy. Draw your own conclusions.

But they can't get their guys over here.

14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Big point number two. I was trying to say that more money per guy equals a better army. ;)

15. Pit Droid

Pit Droid Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 1999

Hmmm from a certain point of view it could be said that America was founded by illegal Immigrants [face_thinking]

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Not really. Far as I know, NAs didn't have any laws about people moving here. :p

17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    "They tuk 'r jobs!"[face_flag][face_flag][face_flag]

18. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    except.... illegal immigrants sort of contains the word 'illegal' in reference to laws being broken. So while that is the hip 'witty' political commentary, it doesn't really hold up.

19. ROTSFan

ROTSFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2006
    Sure there was. The final thing that pushed Davis out was the car tax triple. That and the fact that he took little or no interest in Californians until it was too late.

20. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Doom! Doom! Doom!

You sort of sound like the guys over here who keep claiming Europe is soon going to turn into the big Caliphate of Eurabia and that we'll all be forced to become Muslims or DIE!

America is ripe for the picking in what way? Nobody is going to invade, I don't see what you're trying to get at.

21. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    What I'm saying is that we have reached a point where there's no real point in developed countries trying to conquer each other. China has no significant interest in conquest, for example. Military force still has its applications, but the scope is much narrower.

You seem to be working with an outdated paradigm.

What enemy, exactly, are you talking about? Who precisely are you afraid is coming to get you?

Guest worker program. Next question.

22. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    "Is America ripe for the pickin?"

Hopefully.[face_plain]

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    457 Subclass visas FTW.

E_S

24. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Based on what Arnold said during his campaign in the recall, he has been nothing but weak.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I hear that Castro isn't really sick; he's preparing an invasion force to take Florida.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.