main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is an XBox worth it?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Short Round McFly, Feb 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Short Round McFly

Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling star 6

Nov 13, 1999
    Alright, here's the situation. I want to get Knights of the Old Republic and Emperor's Tomb and I was thinking, since I have $304.74, that I could buy an XBox and Emperor's Tomb tomorrow. Could I afford it? I can't find a price for an XBox anywhere!

[color=indigo]Please use the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=4970031] Official X-Box Discussion Thread [/link] for this kind of console specific discussion. Thanks.[/color]

2. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    You don't have enough. An XBox is $199 + tax.

Unless you can find a used one, which usually run for $179 + tax, then maybe.

3. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    An Xbox will set you back $200.

Edit:

$300 not enough for an Xbox and one $50 dollar game? Am I missing something?

4. Short Round McFly

Nov 13, 1999
    Wait, a minute, what are you talking about, Burrito-Burrito?

5. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    1st...you might want to go back to math in middle school :p

Unless your forgeting the price drop.

I have one and very happy with my purchase. If you have PS2 alread, and a nice computer, you wouldn't need it.

However if you don't have one of those, I'd say get it. And with the extra you should have enough for another game...Halo or Splinter Cell maybe?

6. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I saw KOTOR and Indy and thought he wanted both.

Actually, my original statement still stands, if you find a used XBox you can get that and those two games. And speaking from the experience of a sucker who bought the XBox package with the controller-s, you'll want to find an older unit with the regular controller :p

7. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Shenmue II, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon and Mech Assault will be on the PC and PS2? ;)

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

8. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    KOTOR should be great. But from the reviews of Emperors Tomb, it doestn' look that great. I suggest that you research the game heavily to make sure You'd like it, and if it's a good game.

You probably want it because it's Indy Jones, but that doesn't mean it's a good game.

9. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    KOTOR won't be out till May, so I guess you could buy yourself the Xbox (it IS worth it, especially at $200), plus Indy and either Halo or Splinter Cell (go for Halo, I like it most).

What's wrong with the S-Controller? I like it just fine. it's the older controller that I consider kinda big and klunky.

10. Miin_Bodenna

Feb 7, 2002
    Actually if it's a good game or not is entirely opinional. Reviews are entirely the reveiwers oponion.

11. Short Round McFly

Nov 13, 1999
    I've heard very great reviews, I only heard one negative review.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Shenmue II, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon and Mech Assault will be on the PC and PS2?

Every one of those games(save Panzer) suck.

All the good games for Xbox are out/coming out for PC(including KOTR). Buy a PS2.

13. Miin_Bodenna

Feb 7, 2002
    Shenmue II, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon and Mech Assault will be on the PC and PS2?

Every one of those games(save Panzer) suck.

[face_laugh]

14. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>All the good games for Xbox are out/coming out for PC(including KOTR). Buy a PS2.<<<

Viva, the lowest common denominator! Bitter gamers unite! :D

-----signature-----

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Ah, Xbox, with the slightly-better graphics. PS2 and Gamecube will always have the better exclusives.

16. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Whatever gets you through the night my bitter friend. I can't wait to play Fable and Ninja Gaiden on my PC..... ;)

-----signature-----

17. Miin_Bodenna

Feb 7, 2002
    Halo 2 ?[face_plain]

Nintendo might have more exclusives. But 3rd party support for them is well...faltering.

And I have seen NO PS2 Games that eve interest me.

18. Invid_Clone

Jul 14, 2002
    And I have seen NO PS2 Games that eve interest me.

I had high hopes for a couple recent PS2 games. The Getaway looked good but there are some control issues with the game that make me wary. And driving around London doesn't sound quite appealing. Then there was Devil May Cry 2, but it's gotten some very bad reviews. Now I'm waiting for ZOE2 (which looks promising) and Lara Croft's new adventure (whenever the hell it'll come out). So far, this years PS2 wish list looks rather thin.

Now for Xbox: Halo 2, Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, True Crime, Fable (ok, so it's for "next year")...I'd say there's a decent wish list there. :D

19. SithLord1968

SithLord1968 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2000
    "Ah, Xbox, with the slightly-better graphics. PS2 and Gamecube will always have the better exclusives."

slightly-better graphics? You're kidding me, right?
    Compare any title developed initially for the XBOX with any PS2 title, and you'll notice the difference immediately... Perhaps you've only seen ps2-ported over titles from EAsports on an XBOX....

Halo is the prettiest game ever made, plus it's by far the best exclusive title on any platform.

20. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Hey shorty whatsup?

I've very much enjoyed my Xbox. You can pick up the bundle pack for $200 at best buy in store or online with free shipping.

I'd reccommend picking up the bundle, stopping by blockbuster and renting Indy to make sure you want it. Then if it's not what you thought buy Halo, project gotham ($20 on the platinum list), Splinter cell, DOA3 (or volleyball if that's your thing) or any of the games that come highly reccomended by most xboxers.

Good system, good games, good future, good online. And if you get XBL I'll see you on mechassault ;) .

21. Invid_Clone

Jul 14, 2002
    Halo is the prettiest game ever made, plus it's by far the best exclusive title on any platform.

Truer words were never spoken. I'd go as far to calling it "mesmerizing". All the more impressive considering it's nearly a two-year-old game.

22. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001

Other than the PC, where games don't need to be pretty, as they're realistic.
    Um... Sorry, can't help it, just bought a Radeon 9700 Pro. Can't beat NOLF2, Unreal 2 and MOHAA with one of those things stuck in your rig.

23. SithLord1968

SithLord1968 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2000
    Invid.... at least two of us have a little common sense....
    Solo Command... Sorry, you are right.... I should have said "on any *console*"
    :cool:

24. danjedi

danjedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2003
    Unreal 2 looks better than Halo.Although I have a 2,500 dollar PC.

25. Invid_Clone

Jul 14, 2002
    Well, flaunt it if you got it, danjedi. :p Maybe i'm too old or too jaded but I consider so much for a PC as a frightful waste of money. Especially when I can get the same amount of fun out of my $200 buck Xbox or PS2. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.