main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Anakin really more powerful than Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by brook_33, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandalore_X

Mandalore_X Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    How do you know he cant stop a pod?In LOE he collapses a building just by screming and LOE isn't just another part of the expanded universe.It is the official prelude to ROTS.

2. Chosen_One1

Chosen_One1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2005
    But this thread isn't asking wheather he could beat Sidious, rather if he had the POWER to do so. There is more to a fight than power alone (as The Duel demonstrated). Anakin lost the fight to Obi-Wan due to an emotional mistake. Also remember that Obi-Wan was able to fend off Anakins attack because he trained him, this was a HUGE advantage. No other opponent would have that luxury.

Lucas said Anakins full potentail was TWICE the power of Sidious, that means he only has to be halfway there to match his power. I think by the time of ROTS he would atleast be halfway there.

Also remember Gillard said Anakin was a level 9, the same as Sidious.

3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Anakin was powerful, no doubt about that, but Palpatine could cover him any day. Sidious knew both sides of the force, I doubt anyone had more general knowledge of the force than him.

4. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    I'll give you that, he had the potential to beat Sidious. I mean, look what he did to Dooku!

[image=http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/march_hare14/pwned.jpg]

5. Mandalore_X

Apr 22, 2005
    Exactly, the things is Anakin was defeated on mustaphar. So it never did happen nor will it ever happen.The qoute itself implies that If he hadn't lost he could(can)defeat the emperor, as of the point in time after the duel.

6. Mandalore_X

Apr 22, 2005
    Thank God for reinforcements.

7. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    You dont know what Mcdiarmid meant.Unless you ask him the question yourself.He was genralizing,hence the "In the galaxy" part.

I know exactly what McDiarmid meant. He said that his character is "frankly much more powerful" than Anakin. This confirms that Anakin is much weaker than the Emperor. When he says that he is the "fastest fighter in the universe", that means the Emperor is faster than everyone else, since the universe encompasses everyone. In my signature, McDiarmid says that he's 500 times faster than anyone else. Anakin is someone else, so that means he's faster than Anakin.

8. Mandalore_X

Apr 22, 2005
    Hayden Christen said Anakin was the best at fighting.There my statement has just as much credibility as your's.Heres an non biased statement from someone who is not an actor.Nic gillard, "Anakin has been established as the most powerful jedi who ever lived."Mace over powerd sidious according to GL, match that with Nic gillard's statement that Anakin was the best who ever lived and you get the fact that it didn't take the most powerful jedi ever(Which is Anakin)to defeat sidious.

9. darth_almond

darth_almond Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Anakin is the chosen one, period. He says in aotc "I will become the most powerful jedi ever!" He was already extremely powerful when he was tetering on the brink of the darkside, but then when he turned into the main baddie he definitely had the werewithal to take sidious. Sidious himself addmitted that Anakin would become greater than any of the jedi. Nik Gillard was in charge of the fighing, not the story. So basically, if he says that Anakin is the best, than he probably is.

10. pl_renoch

pl_renoch Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Was Anakin more powerful...yes! Lucas wanted us to believe that Anakin was the most powerful Jedi, but he was corrupted. Therefore, when you ask if DV was more powerful I would say "no." Anakin loses power going to the dark side because of overconfidence and inability to control his emotions.

11. Chosen_One1

May 12, 2005
    Yes, I totally agree with you. If all else fails you have to look at what the story is trying to say. Anakin gains the power he wanted but it makes him corrupt. The thing he was trying to obtain was his downfall. This is very ironic, and very Lucas-ish.

12. Ruthio

Ruthio Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    this all goes back ot the obi-wan anakin duel...Obi-wan won that one. So if you believe anakin to be more powerful then sidious Obi-wan must also be more powerful then both of them. But, if you dun beleive that one, thrn how can you believe anakin to be more powerful then yoda mace or sidious? Then if we are going by skill alone, Yoda easily looked more imrpessive then anakin and Obi-wan but Yoda could not take sidious....so then what?

Well based on all that, you then must conclude Anakin to be as good or equaled to Mace but less then sidious. Then Yoda is better then them all, but circumstances caused his loss to sidious. Any fool can tell you from wacthing the movie Yoda and sidious are the best.

13. Chosen_One1

May 12, 2005
    this all goes back ot the obi-wan anakin duel...Obi-wan won that one. So if you believe anakin to be more powerful then sidious Obi-wan must also be more powerful then both of them.

What?? You honestly think that because Obi-Wan beat Anakin he is more powerful? George Lucas himself said Anakin was more powerful than Obi-Wan (as well as MANY other sources). The whole point of that fight was to show that Anakins power had made him corrupt and overconfident, not that Obi-Wan was a great fighter(it's not like cutting a defenseless person in midair is that difficult).

14. powerhouse

powerhouse Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2005
    To the original post: I answer that Anakin is definately the most powerful Jedi. In the prequel trilogy remember that Mace and Yoda speak about the Jedi losing their power. The do not want to train Anakin but decide they must because they know they need his power for the future. Yoda loses to Sidius because Sidius is the most powerful person in the force except for Anakin. Rewatch The prequel trilogy, Darth Sidius wins in almost every situation. His plots and schemes work perfectly, he turns Anakin to the darkside, destroys the Republic, destroys most of the Jedi. Darth Sidius does all this right in front of the all powerful Jedi who have for some reason degenerated into strange intergalactic Supercops with ego problems (Again listen to Yoda's comments about arrogant Jedi).

Anakin is trained as a Jedi but his teachings are restricted because the Jedi feel he his future is unpredictable.

So why did Anakin lose to Obi-Won.

Anakin had not fully matured nor reached his full potential in the force.

In ROTS Obi won frequently reiterates the need for Anakin to have patience and to wait. Anakin's mistake is that he doesn't do this.

The only person capable of destroying Darth Sidius is Anakin, but that is only part of the battle. Darth Sidius seems to already know his future but he is uncertain of the future with Anakin. Yoda and Sidius's battle seemed more about the future of Anakin then it did about their own future. It appears that Anakin grows to unmatched power in the force when he is trained as a Jedi and then learns the darkside. With his combined training he truly does bring balance to the force by not only destroying Darth Sidius but more importantly his reasons for doing this.

Anakin turns to the darkside because of his fear of death, for himself and others close to him. Yoda and Obi won tell Anakin that death is not to be feared. This point hits home as Obi Won's final teaching to his student now Darth Vader is to willingly accept death.

Anakin brings balance to the force in a way that shows power greater than that shown in battles alone. He destroys his master and instead of becoming a Sith master he does what no other Jedi has done before by returning from the Darkside to the Jedi (and accepting death). Darth Sidius's power was immense but he was not able to see the future around Anakin clearly. The Jedi training that ends of helping the Jedi the most could be simply his close relationship to Obi-Won. It seems that this is one of the main areas of compassion in Anakin and might be what helps him turn the corner to returning to the Jedi.

15. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Anakin is certainly not more powerful than Palpatine.

Mentality is part of the fighter, and Anakin had the mentality of a 9 year old.

Douku beat him in the second episode. Obi Wan beat him in ROTS.

Anakin is a decent fighter, but he simply is not as good as Obi Wan and Douku.

Many of you will say: "well, if Anakin was less arrogant, he would have won".

To this I say; 'If Obi Wan was 100 ft tall, he would have finished off Ani sooner".

Coulda woulda shoulda

16. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    *falls out of chair laughing*

Thanks for today's laugh farrellg:p

Seriously...do you read the stuff you type or are you just trying to get us to refute your statements?

17. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    My quote answers it all...

18. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    nice screen name, very clever[face_plain] .

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If Anakin hadn't been drunk on power, he could've killed Palpatine. There's nothing that says that they'd have to fight to the death. It could be like in the alternate ending of the ROTS video game. Where Anakin is given a new saber and then he quickly uses it to dispatch Palpatine before he can defend himself.

20. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Trechery is the way of the Sith.

21. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I am certain that if Anakin had not been defeated by Kenobi at the end of Episode III, Palpatine would only have ruled for a few years before Anakin would have destroyed him.

Anakin IS potentially the most powerful Force User ever, and he had the ability to achieve God-like powers. Just look at how he took care of Dooku once he started using the Dark Side. Dooku never had a chance and Palpatine would have suffered the same fate as Dooku.

22. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    That's the hole, we're supposed to be looking at the donut...

[image=http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/9647/rojwv1217fz.jpg]

I'm sure you've encountered the word "hyperbole" before...?

23. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005

Agree 100%! "Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us". It's clear to see Anakin is not ready just yet in Palpatine's mind. Does he have the potential to kill him at that point in the movie. Yes! But I doubt he would win.

24. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Why do people always equate "person A is more powerful than person B" with "person A will beat person B in a fight"? Being powerful with the Force, as I understand it, is a lot more than being powerful when it comes to fighting, let alone lightsaber fighting. Anakin clearly wasn't more powerful than Sids when it comes to seeing the future, e.g., at least not during ROTS. He was possibly actually more powerful when it comes to lightsaber duels, but not when it comes to other things. He had a long way to go to actually become the most powerful Force user when it comes to those "other things".

25. sithreaper

sithreaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    If they would have collided before Anakin turned to the Darkside Palps would have been killed ala Dooku, if Anakin would have fought palps after Anakin turned to the darkside they both would have died. It?s the prophecy people, Anakin was born to destroy the sith. In terms of power Palpatine was stronger then Anakin in ROTS but not by much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.