main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Anakin really more powerful than Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by brook_33, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    Anakin had the ability to become stronger than Palpatine. However, he was much less powerful than the Emperor during ROTS. Anakin hadn't realized his full potential yet.

2. DarthJuggalo

DarthJuggalo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2005
    I agree. The way Sidious tossed those senate pods showed me that he is the most powerful in RotS.

3. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    i think in a lightsaber fight he would have been more than a match for Sidious or Yoda, he wouldn't win a senate pod throwing contest, but he was a level 9 just like those 2, and the way he beat Dooku who could compete with Yoda, makes me think he could beat anyone in ROTS, not years later, expect for his former master.

4. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Yeah, if you compare throwing Senate Pods 3 at a time while using the Force to make the one you're standing on hover, versus throwing little debris at windows, I'd say Sidious is stronger there.

5. The_Chibi_Kiriyama

The_Chibi_Kiriyama Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    My nitpicking finally got me to the point I was waiting paitiently to see- farrellg agreeing with me! This is what I've been saying the entire time. HAD Anakin survived Mustafar he would have been stronger. Not during Mustafar. Not at the Jedi Temple. Not fighting against Mace (had he done so). IF he would have survived with his limbs intact Palpatine would have been beaten by him had he been so inclined. I'm so glad about hearing this that I decided on something...

[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

One million hugs for everyone!

Sorry, just a bit giddy from all of this...

6. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    I'm glad we could agree on something, The_Chibi_Kiriyama.

I think Palpatine proved that even his lightsaber skills are superior to Anakin's. Anakin didn't kill the Jedi in the Temple as quickly as the Emperor killed the posse. Anakin was fighting two Jedi in the hologram (Cin Drallig and a Padawan), one at a time. Both of them blocked at least two of his strikes. He didn't kill them in one move each the way the Emperor did with the posse. The posse are better than the Jedi in the Temple because Mace took the best swordsmen available with him (as the novel and OS confirm). Anakin couldn't even kill inferior Jedi as quickly as the Emperor killed the posse.

7. ZamWesell44

Sep 13, 2003
    Sidious could not have done any better against Dooku, he could have beat him but im not sure he could have done it like that. I don't know how Cin, Shaak Ti, are inferior, and Agen Kolar is not.

8. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    The Emperor could do better against Dooku because he did better against the posse than Anakin did against the Jedi in the Tempoe. Cin Drallig and Shaak Ti are inferio to Agen Kolar because the OS and novel say so.

9. brook_33

Dec 30, 2003

10. The_Chibi_Kiriyama

Nov 9, 2005
    True; but by then he was already Vader and definitely not strong enough to challenge the Emporer, much less fight him as an equal.

11. brook_33

Dec 30, 2003
    Right. I was just being annoying.

12. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    By ROTS, NO.

If we were on the OT and there was Anakin unsuited, THEN, YES.

13. brook_33

Dec 30, 2003
  14. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I'm starting to think that Anakin was on the verge of becoming more powerful than Palpatine. But the thing that gives Sidious the edge over Anakin(during ROTS) is his knowledge of the dark side. Anakin is still an apprentice, still learning, still making progress, not where he needs to be yet. Sidious is way past that point and has been for years. It's very ironic that a Sith Master and his apprentice can share the same amount of power, but yet the master is beyond the apprentice in terms of advanced knowledge and that's why he's the master after all.

15. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    I think you're right. Anakin had the potential to be even more powerful than the Emperor. However, as of the timeframe of ROTS, he still had a long way to go before surpassing Palpatine. The Emperor's advantage is that he has better saber skills and a much greater knowledge of the dark side, such as generating lightning.

16. ZamWesell44

Sep 13, 2003
    you right about the darkside, but not saber skills. Anakin was proably unmatched in that aspect.

17. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Really? he lost to OBW in a straight saber duel... Yoda, Mace and Sideous was stronger and better duelists than OBW... Anakin was up there, but he was rivaled, and bested by three...

18. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    During the conclusion of Anakin's duel with Obi-Wan, look at his face when he says You underestimate my power. He looks like a mad man, who is nowhere near in his right mind. Skywalker would have eventually overpowered Obi-Wan and cut him down but he could neither control or focus his emotions. Imagine if had he jumped from a closer range. His blade could have very well reached Obi-Wan high ground or not. Obi-Wan won because of his brains and Anakin lost because of lack there of.

19. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    The Emperor proved that even his saber skills are better than Anakin's.Anakin didn't kill the Jedi in the Temple as quickly as the Emperor killed the posse. Anakin was fighting two Jedi in the hologram (Cin Drallig and a Padawan), one at a time. Both of them blocked at least two of his strikes. He didn't kill them in one move each the way the Emperor did with the posse. The posse are better than the Jedi in the Temple because Mace took the best swordsmen available with him (as the novel and OS confirm). Anakin couldn't even kill inferior Jedi as quickly as the Emperor killed the posse.

McDiarmid said the Emperor is the fastest swordsman in the galaxym which means he is faster than Anakin. This is consistent with what we see onscreen, because Anakin didn't kill his opponents as quickly as the Emperor did.

20. ZamWesell44

Sep 13, 2003
    The novel also says Anakin is the most powerful jedi ever. And Shaak Ti was a master and equal to Agen and Kit and Tiin, if not stronger,

21. TheDarkSideAreThey

TheDarkSideAreThey Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2004
    There is no way Anakin is more powerful than Palpatine in ROTS. Anakin has overestimated his power, which is fueled by pure rage, which has caused some delusion on his part. Palpatine has Sith secrets up his sleeve that Anakin doesn?t have knowledge of. Saber-to-saber, I think Anakin would have a chance, but then again Palps chopped down 3 Jedi masters in 5 seconds, so I would give Palps the advantage there too. After all, Palpatine is the Master.

22. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    The novel said Anakin is the most powerful Jedi of his generation. Yoda and Mace aren't of the same generation. Lucas referred to the Emperor and Yoda as the "toughest" in regards to their duel. This means Yoda is more powerful than Anakin during ROTS.

Shaak Ti isn't isn't to Mace's posse. The OS and novel say the posse were the best swordsmen available. Anakin didn't kill Cin Drallig and the Padawan as quickly as Palpatine killed the posse. A padawan is certainly inferior to the Jedi Masters Palpatine faced. This confirms that Anakin isn't as good of a swordsman as the Emperor.

23. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Farrelg: you try to compare fights too easily. You should know that no fight is similar. Yoda was more powerful than Mace, yet Mace defeated Sideous and Yoda did not - only drawed. Anakin might not really want to kill those Jedi. Once they were his friends, they trusted him. Also, we see two, but he could be fighting ten... the video footage only shows us so much. However, farrelg, this time I agree with you in that Sideous is more powerful than Anakin. There is no disputing Anakin's talent, but by the time of ROTS Sideous, Yoda and Mace were all stronger. OBW was still a better Jedi...

24. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    By the time Anakin got to the Temple. the dark side was strong with him. He definitely wanted to kill the Jedi. If there were more than two Jedi, we would have seen them in the hologram. Anakin wasn't even fighting the Jedi together. He fought Cin Drallig and a Padawan one at a time. Anakin didn't kill either of them in one move, which shows he isn't as good as the Emperor.

25. The_Chibi_Kiriyama

Nov 9, 2005
    I truly believe that the only reason Obi-Wan survived both of his fights was because he blocked all incoming attacks the entire time. The only periods he showed an offense was against droids and the odd saber-twirling bit midway, and Anakin bulldogged through the Force-Off with a spry leap his way that Obi-Wan barely avoided. In fact, I can argue that fact throughout all the films. He has an impecible defense but nothing more. His vivisection of Anakin's limbs wasn't skill- even a Padawan could have countered that crazy plan of attack with eyelids closed all the while. A brilliant saber tactician? Yes. Better than Anakin? No. Equal to him in status? Perhaps.

Yet again, a bit of my skewered view on this. [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.