main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Anakin's fall due to immaturity and youth?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by forever_jedi, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Hiya forever. Immaturity yes. Youth...not so much. Anakin was damaged goods from day one. He should have never even tried to be a Jedi.

And I don't EVEN want to get into how great a mentor Qui-Gon Jidiot :mad: would have been for the boy.

VERY interesting. No. I think Padme was just saying this to 'tempt' Anakin to go with her and let cooler heads and reason prevail. To talk. To let diplomacy resume. She might have been pregnant but she wasn't completely a moron. She let Anakin get away with murdering a whole bunch of Tuskens who nobody gave a s--t about, but the latest murders were Jedi and Jedi children. No way she would have been able to make peace with herself about that. She would have thought of the dead children more and more as her own were closer to being born, realizing that her beloved Anakin was more than capable of killing them if he felt he needed to. She would have eventually realized what a corner she'd painted herself into and probably would have tried to turn him in to the Jedi.

Ideally.

In reality, she might have suspected that neither the Jedi nor the Sith would ever give up looking for them.

2. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    StarTrek_RULES posted on 6/22/05 6:11pm
    Anakin fell because the Jedi messed up and Palpatine was smarter
    [hr][/blockquote] Palpatine definitely seized the chance to manipulate Anakin's emotions and attachment to Padme. Insofar as he did this, he was smarter.

3. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Anakin really is good and wants to be good. But, he could never overcome his fears and his sense of failure when it came to what happened to his mother
    Well he couldve if he wanted to. Like Kenobi said in the Clone Wars Cartoons "The toughest trial a jedi would face would be to look inward and change the things we dont like, nothing is set in stone and our decisions shape our destiny's."

That scarred him beyond anything and making that promise to not fail again ultimately set him up to completely give into the tempatation of the Dark Side of the Force.

This is the reason why I like Anakin's story more than Luke's.

Well I like Luke's story more because he had a lot to deal with. I mean to know that your father is a murderer and has murdered many even was a part of the EMPIRE who destroyed your sister's planet and killed Owen and Beru, and killed your mentor Kenobi to deal with that and still stay on the right path when he couldve easily killed Vaderkin takes a lot of courage and strength

4. DVader16

DVader16 Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2005
    Anakin's fall is not due to youth and immaturity because he isnt immature if he is married. His fall is due to fear of loss to his loved ones and that he cant protect them unless he learn the dark side of the force.

DamonD edit: Edited to remove flame. Don't do that.

5. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    I think his youth plays a rather big role in anakin's
    fall to the dark side, but it can't be blamed for ALL
    of his dark deeds.

Look at luke. he received even less jedi training than
    anakin, but he was able to stay in the light.

(and no, EU doesn't count)

6. JedimasterMoon

JedimasterMoon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2005
    His fall is due to fear,confusion,and arrogance.

7. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    I think if the situation happened 10 years later, Anakin would have behaved differently.

8. LordGiggles

LordGiggles Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2005
    I wouldn't say immaturity and youth are the correct adjectives to use in this scenario. Instead of immaturity and youth, I believe better words would be inexperienced, naive, deceptable, strongly compassionate, and impatient (for the most part). Anakin just wants to follow the feelings he has for Padme. He is too naive to understand the greater risk at hand, that he is putting one woman above the lives of the entire Republic. In his mind, he is doing the right thing, and by joining the Emperor and saving Padme, he can get away with both saving the Republic and his love, but he accomplishes neither. (Till ROTJ where Palpatine dies, but let's talk just ROTS)Anakin knows the right choices, he just neglects them because he believes his ill-fated plan will succeed. He does not use the virtues that Yoda and other teachers have stressed onto him, such as patience and trust. Anakin is blind to the fact that the Jedi, though ultimately using him to find out the truth about Palpatine, actually do care about him, and want him to succeed. If anakin listened and trusted Yoda, he would have followed his advice, the events that occured because of the actions he took would never happen, and Padme would have been saved. If he was patient, and listened to the guidance given to him, everything would have been alright, he would have never needed to confront Palpatine. But Palpatine knew he was strongly compassionate for his wife, and could easily decieve him by feeding him lies, which bodly enough were the truth, and used them to twist his beliefs into Palpatine's, forcing his turn. By his lack of experience, Palpatine succeeding in his manipulation. Immaturity and Youth are simply traits of those who are described by these adjectives, but just because of that did not cause him to turn in my opinion.

9. jedi_driver

jedi_driver Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    No, I don't think so. He was immature and young but that was not his problem.

Imagine a young boy, then teenager and now young adult who gets to hear each and every time that he is supposed to be the Chosen One, blah, blah, that he is so very powerful - but nobody seems to help him. Everyone seems to see that he's in danger to get seduce by the Dark Side but nobody supports him, offering guidance. Yoda only speaks in riddles and Obi-Wan is gone to fight the bad guys. The only person who is nice to him is Palpatine. So, Anakin is not evil, he just made the wrong choices. He couldn't handle the pressure and expectations.

10. vaderfandan

vaderfandan Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2004
    Anakin's fall is all MACE WINDU'S fault!

Mace said "I don't trust him." Yet, he let's Anakin hang out with Palpatine, who Mace is already suspicious of.
    Then, he sends Anakin to meet with Palpatine, after which Mace says he senses a plot to destroy the Jedi,
    AND he senses the Dark Side surrounding the Chancellor. THEN, when Anakin returns, Mace says he feels conflict within Anakin.

If Mace would've listened to the force, Anakin would've gotten the help he needed, and never would've turned.

VFD

11. yaddidameen

yaddidameen Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    you aren't serious vaderfan? but hey you are gonna think what you want, as you have a right to, but anakni's fall happened because of the choices he made. he couldn't let go of his attachments, and he destroyed himself along with the jedi order in the process.

12. vaderfandan

vaderfandan Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2004
    you aren't serious vaderfan?

Yes! I'm serious! Mace has NEVER been a fan of Anakin. Mace KNEW there was something up with him, AND with Palpatine! But what's Mace do? Stick 'em together time after time! Dumb move Mace!

VFD

13. Miss_Aayla_Secura

Miss_Aayla_Secura Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Ultimately, Anakin's actions are his own, and he bears the responsiblity for them. However, Anakin should not have been trained as a Jedi, because he was too old to fully comply with the "old" Jedi way of teaching padawans how to think from a young age. Anakin was too far gone, and he never learnt that ability to detach himself from those he cared for. Furthermore, Anakin had Palpy whispering in his ear constantly, feeding his ego, and filling his head with thoughts of himself which were contrary to the Jedi way of thinking.

So yes, the circumstances worked against Anakin, but he was a grown adult and made his choices with full knowledge of what he was dong.

How can you blame Windu? Windu may have had personal reservations about Anakin, but he wasn't the *only* member of the Jedi Council ... and many Jedi believed blindly in the "Chosen One" prophecy, so that would have drowned out a lot of concerns...

14. TheLightSide

TheLightSide Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    We hear so much about how bad Anakin was, and how he should have never been trained, and how he was damaged goods.

You know, give him some slack.

Bacially rejected by Mace Windu himslef from age 9 onward.

"Won't be trained, don't trust him, etc." is all Mace ever said.

Mace is got some serious problems. Doesn't even seriously consider the question that Anakin might be the Chosen One.

Doesn't ask: What is going on with the Force that this 9-year old is here, presto, after being birthed out on Tatooine, immaculately to a slave?

Anakin made some major mistakes due to his lack of openness, and others except for Obi-Wan always keeping him at arm's length.

Anakin turned Dark because he loved his mother and his wife, and his unborn children. It really makes you feel sorry for his immaturity and youth.

15. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Mace never said that

The force didn't bring Anakin to Mace/theCouncil, Qui-Gon did. And who said they didn't wonder about it? Do you think the Jedi went to the meditation rooms and played cards with each other instead of deciding Anakins fate?

Love isn't a destructive force; hatred, greed, anger etc etc are.

- O_F

16. TheLightSide

TheLightSide Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    Why does everyone always pretend hat Mace gives Anakin a great big welcome during the Phantom Menace when it appears from the look on Mace's face that he would rather just have him go away?

17. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    Everyone?

Name one poster who ever even came close to saying Mace gave Anakin a "great big welcome", just one.

- O_F

18. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    I just dont understand how Anakin can be immature. Yeah I know he is, but why? He is married and has been through more than the average joe goes through.

19. ObiJuanQuito

ObiJuanQuito Jedi Youngling star 5

May 20, 2005

Umm, i dont think so...

Count Dooku was far from young and mature and he managed to go down the path of the darkside...

20. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    He's not saying that only immature people turn to the darkside, he's saying that in Anakins case; his immaturity (impatience/unrational thinking/controlled by emotions/too attached) is what leads him to the darkside.

- O_F

21. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    IMO he was immature to the point that his training was not complete. I know he was knighted (after he killed someone in anger I might add) but he was not yet a master. He rejected the things that would have made him the most powerful Jedi... humility, patience, selflessness.

Had he continued his training and accepted counsel then he would have lived up to his "chosen one" status. But due to his getting a little too much a little too soon he wasn't ready to listen to anyone. He was like a child star. Everyone told him how great he was for so long that he got full of himself

22. Death-Vader

Death-Vader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2002
    Or should I rather trust people who I KNOW have only done good and stood for justice as long as I have known them?

Anakin has never trusted the Jedi 100%, and his trust in them has been shaken since they ask him to do something dishonest. Then he listens to Palps who tells him good is a point of view, and all that other stuff.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

He was already a Knight before ROTS began. He was given the rank based on his skills on Geonosis, Kamino, Jaibim, Munnlinist, Rattak (sp) and Praestylin.

He did complete the training.

24. yaddidameen

yaddidameen Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    everyone is talking about how luke was able to stay in the light and anakinwasn't, this is true but look at the reasons why. anakin was a slave most of his childhood, luke wasn't. anakin fell in love, luke kissed his sister, anakin was part of a jedi order who's head member openly distrusted him. had luke gone through the same mess as anakin, he would be hard pressed to deny the dark. i am in no way justifying anakin, he was wrong about nearly evrything, i am just saying that luke had it easier growing up, and was molded to be more caring and compassionate than anakin.

25. Jedi-or-Sith

Jedi-or-Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    Just because somebody is married doesn't mean they are mature! Pretty ignorant statement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.