main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is anyone coming down from a TFA high?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Trooper100471, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    are you talking about what I said? I was talking about a discount theater in Frederick Maryland where I used to live.

2. moreorless

moreorless Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    After the 5th time, I told myself I was good. Then my nephew, who saw it only once, wanted to see it again. So, I went with him and I enjoyed it. Now I have read Kenobi, waiting for my copy of Heir to the Empire and am catching up on Star Wars Rebels. And I borrowed the TFA novel from the library. Yeah, I'm good.

3. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I saw it once. Later on I decided to watch the second GI Joe movie. I count that as my second viewing of The Force Awakens because they are the exact same thing.

4. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    The high has faded but as I noted before in this thread, that high is pure pleasure, and pleasure is difficult to sustain over a long period.

The joy of actually having a good Star Wars movie to watch (and not feel apologetic to othwea over them) is still there. Joy is a great feeling to have.

I may go in for the 7th showing of the 7th episode tomorrow.

I really wish I liked the prequels as much as loved this, 20 something me would have enjoyed it much more. I had much more time back 10-15 years ago when I was still in university.

5. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    LOL no, the same exact copy is all over youtube, face book memes, fan edited videos, screen caps, it's everywhere!

6. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    Good try but you need to do better than that...

AmySolo likes this.
  7. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Na. Same cuts. Same filter over the image. Elementary knowledge color theory. Gave a monkey some Legos and taped them to the original designs from the 70s/80s. Lift a villain design from a 10 year old videogame. Give the villain a game of thrones sword. Cut cut cut and jump the viewer around the entire flick. Use typical jj Abrams shots from anything else he's done. Let Disney jump in to cliche the fck out of almost every character. Tons of pointless dialog within the film as a whole because of that.

People are blind. There were a few well done scenes, but in the grand scheme of things, when you break the film down, it's junk. Plain and simple.

8. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Star Wars was built on archetypes, "cliches"...

Honestly this film had a very different feel to it for me than it did any of his Star Trek films. Sounds like some one hates JJ abrams and would probably hate anything he watched with his name on it.

Having seen both Star Trek and Star Wars, I must admit the two feel separate visually, technically. Star Trek is flashy, mostly CGI the colors are hyper visualized, overly radiant with lens flares everywhere.... Star Wars was done a lot more gritty, practical than that....Not to mention it comes closer to the originals than Star Trek will ever come to anything from its 50 year old universe....

I'm not sure what a typical JJ Abrams is... but this was distinctly different from his work with Star Trek. When I watched it I didn't think of Star Trek once, that's a good thing in my book. Actually I said, everything he did wrong visually with Star Trek, he did right with Star Wars.

AmySolo and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  9. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    If you're going to troll, at least make it entertaining.

AmySolo likes this.
  10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    So are you saying you, and most here, are unable to cast a "critical eye"? That seems a bit harsh.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    You know what he meant, PJ. :)

I also think you are aware of the fact that most people on this board have enjoyed TFA more with each viewing. And in that context, you know that I'm not an "exception" here. But nice try!

12. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Why would I possibly want to change your view on something? That we don't share the same view makes me feel very happy. However, you seem to push back against a bit of honest criticism, which is somewhat odd. I think it's great that you love TFA, but let's get real about where it sits in the pantheon of cinema I.e. somewhere near Jurassic World and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for me.

13. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think that's true. Here and most other places, it seems people are taking a step back and being a bit more critical now (and remember being critical does not mean one has to hate the film)... which is a positive thing for gleaning a more honest appraisal.

14. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

I'm so glad you ended that last sentence "for me" because that's the first time you haven't pretended to speak for the masses on here when zero evidence points to that being the case. There isn't a single shred of evidence that this film is being disliked more now after time has passed, none. Unless you count your hundreds of posts as a hundred different people - at which point you would have 110 people. Please show me this overwhelming evidence that suddenly people who love this film are now in the minority. Some of the stuff you come up with is borderline trolling

Bowen and Trooper100471 like this.
  15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I make every pains to state "IMO"... but not sure how that corresponds to your de facto, myopic view of the world. That TFA has largely been ignored by the film/television awarding bodies, that even Abrams himself has faced into, publicly, some of the films criticisms, and that my posts here, and elsewhere, seem to be acknowledged/appreciated by fellow posters, aptly demonstrates the point in hand. Indeed, even those most appreciative of TFA seem to be begrudgingly coming to terms with the fact that, for many, Mad Max is seen as the 'better' film. That all you can offer as a counter argument is "you're wrong, TFA is great" underlines your operating level.

16. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    Somewhere near JW and KOTCS? Seriously?

17. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes seriously. You'll notice that, like JW and KOTCS, TFA hasn't been recognised by the industry for its craft. That's squarely where TFA sits. It isn't Mad Max:Fury Road by any stretch is it? Nothing wrong with that of course, TFA is fun... but its closer to JW and Crystal Skull than it is to the better films of the genre. However, that shouldn't be mistaken for not being popular. TFA is certainly popular. And rightly so... It's Star Wars after all.

18. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015

Should win an Oscar for editing, the editing of the movie is beautiful.

19. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    Mmm...TFA has been nominated for 5 Oscars and 4 Baftas with a more than decent chance of winning a few. Can you remind me how many of these awards JW and KOTCS were nominated for?

Anyone highlighting the apparent lack endless awards and nominations for TFA seems like they are using a rather feeble stick to beat the film with tbh. It is by far the best and most successful SW film in over 30 years. That's surely what we all wanted. With that in mind, who actually cares about how many awards it wins?

Bowen likes this.
  20. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    Driver is the best imaginable casting for this character ^:)^

Evetssteve10 likes this.
  21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I personally don't put too much credence in awards, but this was really about acknowledging a wider context re. an adjusted perception of the film... "coming down off a high".

TFA isn't regarded as a great film outside of those with an emotional connection to it or Star Wars in general. Despite its box office, it's apparent that films like Mad Max, The Revenant, Brooklyn, The Martian etc. etc. are regarded as being of higher creative/artistic merit by the industry - which of course doesn't mean 'they' are correct with that assessment... but we are where we are. The wider context being that, with a bit of distance, we can view TFA relative to its peers... and that is reflected not just in this community, but within the industry too.

That TFA is nominated for 5 Academy awards (TPM was nominated for 3 right?), none of which sit within the major categories, only serves to underline how it's viewed outside of fandom. Many fans see it as a "snub", perhaps it is, but it's really only reflective of its quality. It's that which puts TFA in the category of 'also-ran'. And given the leviathan profile of TFA, it shows that sometimes money doesn't talk... and even as an avid Star Wars fan, I believe that's a positive thing.

22. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    That is in no way trolling. They are valid points. This board seems to have no objective view on the film, or don't want to admit that TFA is very much flawed. I'm not saying one can't enjoy it, just that it is not great film making.

23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    This is very much the mindset of some at the moment i.e. if you can't agree that TFA is one of the best, if not the best, Star Wars film... and that it's a great film in its own right, then you are a certified 'basher'. Of course the truth is usually in the middle... it's not the best film of all time, it's not the worst. It's a fair/average action film.

darskpine10 likes this.
  24. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well even if it is like a GI Joe movie, I'd rather watch a Star Wars movie like that than a ridiculous excuse for a GI Joe movie with no real effort to make it GI Joe, and yes, even that one. Not the same thing at all, but then the source is different anyway.
    Yes you are.
    Even big fans of it have called things "flaws" but don't care because the advantages outweigh them or it was just fun to experience. A lot of these things are on par with flaws in the other movies, but we don't see them that way because we might have been seven years old when they were implanted in our heads and propelling our toy playing. People could nitpick saying Why do Han and Luke need to put on Stormtrooper armor if Chewbacca is just running around a huge bay and to go up multiple levels, only to then pretend he's a prisoner? Why do they need to go down a trench? Where is an Imperial blockade of Hoth? How how why why...Blah blah... It's like I've said to my mom when she's made pseudo-intellectual pretentious statements like that: Would you describe everything you like to watch and, to use your word, enjoy watching as "great film making"? Maybe you would... publicly.

25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I had been coming down from the high from the holiday, but as the spring goes by, I will probably have an urge to see it again and be excited for the video release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.