main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Anyone else devastated by the end of the JA series?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by snowbee-wan kenobi, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    JA's are too childish, even for children's books. You would think that they would want the books to evolve, but no they go and start another series of the EXACT SAME STUFF!

Dull. But I will buy them. Because I'd feel guilty if I didn't.

Sucks.

2. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    How can you say they're childish? The books have dealt with a wide range of issues -- including war, death, politics and love. Geez.

3. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    So do most nursery stories.

I just get the sense that Watson writes down to people.

4. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    She's writing for 12-year-old's. I'm an adult, and I don't think she's "writing down" to anyone. Just an opinion, I guess.

5. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    The comment about the JA books being childish... I had this discussion with some people over at my site about the amount of dying that has been occuring in the latter books of JA, and some of them were actually questioning whether it was appropriate for the age level the series is aimed at. I'm not quite sure why you would find these books childish... Have you read other books of the same age level to compare? ?[face_plain]

And I know the following is from awhile ago, but I haven't been here in some time... Sorry for jumping back... [face_blush]

Jedi Quest and in fact the PT are an opportunity to delve into the psyche of a fallen hero.

I agree... it's a great opportunity. Unfortunately, it's rarely taken advantage of...

Showing Anakin as a hero aint wrong, he was a hero, a Knight, but he fell and became a monster... But inside there was always, ALWAYS, a man worth redeemin... Now we get to see that hero and the decisions he made that damned him. Sounds like compellin stuff to me.

Personally, I don't think authors are doing a very good job of convincing me that this worthy individual exists within. They take foreshadowing much too far and have all but convinced me that the Jedi are either blind or felt so guilty about Qui-Gon's death that they're letting Anakin hang around in spite of the blatantly obvious dark tendencies. The idea should be to show us that he wasn't always dark, and lead into the stuff that caused his change of allegiance. He certainly didn't seem all that dark in TPM... And yet, through the books, I've been getting the impression that he's always been dark and has just been waiting for the right moment reveal it fully.

I agree that the JQ books have the potential to be great. But my concern is that they've already started on a dark note with Jedi Quest... I'm not sure how much more room they have to expand on the growing darkness before it becomes a neon sign above Anakin's head... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.