main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is anyone going to StarFest this year???

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by BFett88, Mar 17, 2014.

1. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008

I hear you, Melody. Perhaps they should have a cross-section of fans provide input when it comes to scheduling future Starfest weekends who would know of possible conflicts like this. Profit doesn't come into the equation when it comes to scheduling Starfest for future years unless they don't care about SW fan dollars. I know they'll feel the effects of our dollars when many SW fans don't show up this year and next due to other commitments. Maybe then they'll create some sort of scheduling council that would inform them about future event scheduling conflicts.

From what I've heard about the SW fan communities and Starfest, it didn't seem collaborative, but instead seemed like an us v. them mentality...from both sides. That's too bad cause it hurts everybody in the end.

2. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Free Comic Book Day has been around since 2002, and SF did schedule right on top of that, too, which I find odd.

The thing about collaborating -- WOTR is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit. There are limits and rules about collaborating with other entities that are for profit. Starfest/Starland may not make any money, but that doesn't mean they are a legal non-profit. A lot would have to happen behind the scenes to make that okay.

3. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    Actually KathE did reach out...and i think due to what Anita said it wasn't pursued...but i know that they did try...trust me they are just as frustrated as we are. I think that folks should get both sides of the story before jumping to conclusion, which i know we all tend to do from time to time, but i know that Starfest did what they could. :(

4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I like the concept of the con getting input from fandom regarding scheduling, but I'm not sure how practical it would be. If they were scheduling the con only a year or two in advance, sure. But 6 or 7 years? Aside from annual events, who knows what will be happening on a particular weekend that far in advance? The future is cloudy, and all that. Five years ago we certainly didn't know that CVII would be that weekend! I also don't recall May 4th as being as large a celebration several years ago, either. It, and free comic book day are big now, so hopefully that can be taken into account half a decade from now.

Coming at the Sat vs Sun issue from another angle - as for scheduling the SW guests for Sunday, I have to admit that this probably makes sense from the convention's point of view. It's unfortunate that much of the SW clubs have commitment elsewhere, but they have to consider the convention membership as a whole. I'm sure there are lots of SW fans who aren't in the clubs. Given the choice between having the SW panels on a general day (Sat) vs having them on Sun to celebrate the official SW day... well, for the other attendees, it seems a no-brainer to have all the SW panels on the SW holiday. We can't expect them to not celebrate the day there at the con just because our groups will be somewhere else. It's not all about us. :)

As was pointed out, it's just an unfortunate conflict in scheduling for these two years. Hopefully in 2016 we will be back to partying there on Sat night!

5. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Wiser words were never spoken. Thanks Taeriel.

6. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I'm just going to put this right here.
    https://www.facebook.com/5451611255...5161125565960/630594987022573/?type=1&theater
    I can't find the description on Starfests site. I will save my opinion until I see the train wreck for myself.

I see a ton of familiar faces in this video. I'm not posting these on FB for a few reasons, the main one is I would like the public to go to our charity events and support the arts, mainly.

7. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I will also be at Starfest Friday evening if anyone is there and wants to hang out. Going solo this time.

nnaydolem likes this.
  8. Yuri1138

Yuri1138 Jedi Knight

Dec 29, 2009
    If you're of age, you can find me by the bar

nnaydolem likes this.
  9. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    nnaydolem and SITH__CHICK like this.
  10. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Does he think he's Weird Al or something? Our table might be right next to the stage so I will report back.

nnaydolem likes this.
  11. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    REGARDLESS....be sure you pick up a starfest tshirt designed by our own gra-co_o_hun

NOT that i am BIAS, but they are pretttttty awesome looking.

12. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Do you know if they will have pins this year? All I saw on the site were shirts.

13. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Han...solo?

FanForced likes this.
  14. Nerfherders

Apr 26, 2002
    Only in my dreams.

15. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    They do have pins cuz I designed it before I did the shirt. It's a very simplified version of the program art. Stephen told me it came out very nice. He seemed very pleased with all the variations of the art this year and asked me to commit to doing it again next year. I said yes, of course. I feel very gratified that they want me to continue.

Maybe I can come out next year… maybe. [face_thinking]

SITH__CHICK likes this.
  16. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005

Awwwwwwwwww Nnay. :*

Have you seen the actual shirt printed? I know they are done but I haven't seen one yet. I'm kinda anxious after I poured over the seps like I did. I just hope all my effects on black worked. [face_praying]

17. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Yay! I need to give Kimmy more $$ then so I can get a pin, too. :D [face_dancing]

And congrats on being asked to do it again! Awesomesauce! =D= Next year a bunch of peeps will be in CA for C VII, so you might want to go meet up with them there. ;) I'll prolly be here, though.

18. Dark Crafty

Dark Crafty Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 21, 2013
    Woooon whoooo! I'll be there around 1 today!

19. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    So who has the RMFF swag? I'm a little late asking about it, I know, but I've been working on getting our shirts. Which we are picking up TODAY, so excited.

20. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

What do you mean by RMFF swag? You mean the tote with convention stuff in it? That would be me. I'm planning on bringing it to WOTR for May the Fourth and setting it up on the foam saber table, per discussion with he-guy, unless plans have changed. I am the bearer of that tote with stuff in it, the Death Star prize wheel, the banner PVC pipe stand (although I'm not sure if I have the banners, I'll have to check tonight).

Are you willing to come pick up the tote and this other stuff and take it to Starfest? I'm not planning to show up until late Saturday afternoon and I assume you want it before then.

Glad we're getting the shirts before this weekend! Thanks for being the "closer" on the shirts, SITH__CHICK.

21. Nerfherders

Apr 26, 2002
    I'm hoping to get there around 4pm today, and 10:30 am tomorrow.

22. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    I"m pretty sure we have the banners still but DH will know what we have so banner stands would be great. I need this for SF, we have a table, we've known about a table for a couple of months now. Saturday comes before Sunday the 5/4 event.

23. Dark Crafty

Dark Crafty Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 21, 2013
    SITH__CHICK Let me know if you need help setting up @ Starfest.. Im here!

nnaydolem likes this.
  24. Nerfherders

Apr 26, 2002
    I just saw the designs. The more intricate design is on the black and looks great. I really wanted the simpler design which is on white, but they sold out of my size already! I don't think the printing came off as nice on the white shirts but I think that design is awesome.

nnaydolem likes this.
  25. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    White Shirts?!!! Hmmmmmm… I only designed it with Black shirts in mind. Thanks Nerf!!!