main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is anyone here really good at motion tracking?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by VaporTrail, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Because I'm having a really hard time with this.

Basically, I have a shot for my film which was required to be handheld due to the camera movement. However, my mistake in doing this was not doing a practical effect for a wounded character. I can't reshoot, because with our current state there would be many inaccuracies (our hair was different, the room we filmed it in has been changed, stuff like that), so I've been trying to add a burn mark digitally, but to no avail. I was at a point where I had a keyframe for every single frame of this shot, and I still couldn't get it to look right. There was no computerized guessing there, my friends.

So I'm falling back on the golden rule of "no matter how good you are at something, there's always someone better."
    Well I'm hoping one of you are better, and I also hope you'd be willing to have a look at this clip.

I would try to post the clip on here, but there are some spoilers involved... so I'm kind of hesitant.
    Any takers?

-Vaportrail

2. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    You should probably elaborate on the specifics of the track. Is it a 2D matchmove or a 3D one, for instance?

3. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Oh, haha, I've seen this shot. You're still working on it?

4. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Well, I took a break from this shot to finish editing my movie, but I started showing the film to people and this shot kept coming up in their reviews.

I don't think there's anything really 3D about this shot. It just pans from one side of the room to the opposite side, and tilts down a little bit.

5. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Then you could probably use After Effect's tracker. It's pretty straightforward.

6. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    After Effects has a built in tracker?

7. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Ha, yeah it does.

I don't really know how to use it though. I've tried before, but it didn't really.. work.

8. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Wow. I'll probably stick with icarus.

9. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    ...and I totally forget what Icarus is.

10. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    It is, or was rather, I free motion tracking software. I think effstops could direct you to a link if you PM him.

It's a really powerful tracker and its fairly easy to use. Effstops made some video tutorials for it as well.

11. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
  12. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Well, I've motion tracked it in AE.. and it's looking pretty good.

But there's a problem. In order to get proper tracking data, I had to select a part of the image which sort of stood out from the rest in color, which in this case was their ear.

However, the wound doesn't go on the ear, so how do I get it to where it should be?

13. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Dang I wish I was at my comp back home...I can't remember guys - can you set parents/children with AE? If you could do that it would seem that you could use an adjustment layer as the tracked footage, link the actual whatever you're trying to track to the new layer, and then play with the transform settings to offset the clip to your liking. In theory it would work but I can't remember if AE can link clips together lol.

Good luck!

14. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    However, the wound doesn't go on the ear, so how do I get it to where it should be?

Adjust the anchor point on the wound until it matches up. It should match up for the rest of the shot too. That's what I've been doing for my EpIII trailer. I just track a marker, then adjust the anchor point until I like it.

15. cooljack91

cooljack91 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2004
    DMPjedi beat me to it. ;)

- Ian

16. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    And I beat him to it, lol.
    I just read this.. I finished the effect like, an hour ago.

It looks pretty good. There was definite neck shiftage tho, so I masked it a little bit, so now it looks like the shirt covers up the wound for a little bit where it was originally overlapping.

I watched the scene with this new shot applied.. I think people will feel more of an impact now. Before it was just like "Eh, just get up. You're fine." Not anymore though.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

-Vaportrail

17. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Another satisfied customer. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.