main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is BB-8 Oscar Worthy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jakeskywalker65, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakeskywalker65

jakeskywalker65 Jedi Padawan

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm actually inclined to think BB-8 is Oscar worthy. I found a pretty good article about the subject I thought I would share with you all:

The full article is here.

What do you all think? I'm disappointed no Star Wars actors god nods. Harrison Ford should've been nominated for Best Supporting Actor, or maybe Boyega. I think there's a trend in the academy to not nominate actors from big sci-fi/fantasy blockbusters -- notice that out of all the Lord of the Rings films, only one actor was ever nominated -- Ian McKellen for Fellowship of the Ring. Sad, because there are some worthy performances in those films too.

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think any of the actors deserved to get a nod... not because of their innate abilities, but just because the material doesn't warrant it. Effects, costumes and music is TFA's level (IMO)... but it will be lucky to get any given that there are much stronger films within category.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    #droidlivesmatter

357hermon and AmySolo like this.
  4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Nah, you need dramatic range to win an Oscar. That's why Johnny Five won two of them.

Sarge likes this.
  5. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    No.Thats like giving an oscar to a volleyball.

Sarge likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Did the one in Cast Away get one? I don't remember.

7. Worker11811

Worker11811 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 6, 2016
  8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    He should be on stage giving an Oscar to someone.
    Or singing a Nominated Song.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Back in the day, Lucas was very disappointed that Yoda/Frank Oz didn't get an acting nomination.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  10. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    How often do you see a droid in that uniquely circular shape, moving around like a soccer ball?

On the basis of that, I do agree that BB-8 is indeed Oscar-worthy, even if only being on stage to showcase his skills! :p:bb8:

11. ISSD Executor

ISSD Executor Jedi Knight

Dec 29, 2015
    They didn't present, but BB-8, R2, and C3PO appeared on stage and mentioned John Williams' 5 wins and I believe 50 nominations. (!)

12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Well in terms of rolling droids, the destroyer droids were prevalent in the PT. So as much as I like BB8, and the execution of the droid on screen, concept wise, we'd already seen it in Star Wars. Saying that, I actually thought BB8 was the most creatively progressive design in TFA... so plaudits for that.

13. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    #OscarsSoHuman

Sarge and AmySolo like this.
  14. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    None of the actors deserved to be nominated. Daisy Ridley is a real find, and gave the best performance in the movie, but it was not award-worthy.

BB-8 was a cute gimmick-character, and trotted out as "proof" of the so-called "return to practical effects" that was trumpeted about TFA. But that's about it.

15. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Millions of people love BB-8. That's all that matters.

16. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    BB-8 should of gotten a Technical Achievement Oscar they give to people who "invent things" 4 movies.

17. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    *should have

18. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Of course BB-8 is Oscar worthy, and I just do not see how people only allude to some technical level of achievement. BB-8 should have been nominated for, and won, Best Supporting Actor. How was it the voters missed the emotional nuance, the dominating screen presence, the impeccable delivery of complex and powerful dialog?

BB-8 My Homework and jaqen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.