main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is Ben Skywalker a millennial?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheLastTalon, Aug 31, 2016.

1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I wouldn't say millennial because that doesn't really mean anything right now. Its probably safe to say disturbed youth of the last 25 years because his actions are synonymous with a school shooting in our world, and while patricide isnt anything new, resenting your parents are pretty common for a teenager. Ben is closer to 30 in TFA though.

2. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Alt-right millennials, yeah. The social justice crowd may or may not be somewhere in the New Republic, we haven't seen it yet.

And nah, Ben is more of a 90s kid rather than a millennial. Same goes for Jacen, Jaina and Anakin.

3. enzo90

enzo90 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 28, 2016
    No, we mean this guy: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ben_Skywalker

Luke's son from the expanded universe. And one of the silliest, most amazing Star Wars characters out there!

BenSkywalker26 likes this.
  4. enzo90

enzo90 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 28, 2016
    That's the TFA Ben. Not this Ben from the expanded universe:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ben_Skywalker

5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    That's exactly what would make him a Millennial though. For the most broad sense of the label, it's anyone born between 1980 and after 9/11/2001.
    I am very aware that different sources say different things; I'm looking at the widest range for my argument.

Because Ben was born in a book that was published before 9/11 (Edge of Victory II: Rebirth was released July of that year), it can be argued that Ben is a Millennial.
    The Solo children definitely are.

However, even those born in January of 2001 were raised in the 00s, just as I was raised in the '90s despite being born in '86, and consider myself a "'90s kid," but I am also a Millennial generation-wise. So a more condensed definition of 1980-2000 are Millennials and anyone after is [whatever the current generation is called].

In a way, it's before social media, which did exist through AOL chat rooms in the late '90s and such, but having phones and screen names became much more prevalent between 2000 and 2002.
    It was also the time politics and battles and nasty things in general became more back stabby.

In a GFFA view, we can call millennials those born pre-NJO: 5 ABY to 25 ABY. This places the Solo children as the GFFA's "Millennials" but Ben in the next generation of births.

6. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I had no idea people born in the 80s are considered millennials.
    I always thought they were generation Y or something.

7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Millennials are Gen Y, roughly.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

8. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Ben I don't think is a traditional "millennial" though I mean his dad is a widower, he has next to no friends or social life and so on. Though he does have the attitude somewhat.

9. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    What is considered a next generation?
    Do you need age difference to be 10 years? 15? 20?

10. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Well, Star Trek: The Next Generation started ~100 years after Star Trek. And Degrassi: The Next Generation started ~10 years after Degrassi: School's Out. So based on TV math a next generation is between 10 and 100 years

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

cthugha likes this.
  11. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    How does Ben have the millennial attitude?

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    He's a bit snappy I guess.

13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Easy enough: the very idea that Ben/Kylo must be a millennial can only germinate in the mind of someone who thinks that "all of them young people nowdays" are douches.

14. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I just don't agree that the people born in 80s and 90s are the same generation. We obviously believe in different things and have different world views.

15. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It is my experience that people brandishing the word "millennial" like an angry fist just plain hate people younger than them, whether said people are from the 80s or the 90s. :p

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This was one of my biggest problem with LOTF/FOTJ. All Ben's friends were either his family or people 20+ years older than him.

AusStig likes this.
  17. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    There's Seha Dorvald, and Vestara Khai, and if you stretch it, maybe even Jysella Horn.

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

But except for one scene in LOTF, Ben was never particularly friendly with Seha. And I don't recall him ever hanging around Jysella.

19. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

Roughly 20 but it depends. There is no real rhyme or reason, especially these days with so many changing life events. So millennials are those who had a hybrid life of pre- and post- internet while at young ages (is how I view it).

I found a chart that is in one of the books I had to use in one of my supervisor's courses, which I somehow remembered enough to be able to even provide my first response. It describes [mainly workplace] differences between Gen X, Gen Y, and Millennials.
    Robbins, S., DeCenzo, D., Wolter, R. (2012) Supervision Today! (7th Edition) New Jersey: Prentice Hall, p. 39

20. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Missed opportunities. Someone in the writing community paired Ben with Jysella at one point.

AusStig likes this.
  21. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    The 'ship Benella.

22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I always felt Ben and Vestara was more fitting and appropriate.

AusStig likes this.
  23. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Yes. But she and Ben doesn't have a cool 'ship name. BenVes. Bentara? VesBen? Hey since there's vespene gas, I guess VesBen is the one?

#VesBen4Life?

24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Bestara?

AusStig and DARTH_MU like this.
  25. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Nailed it great name for the best ship

Bestara is....um Bestara?

DARTH_MU likes this.