main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is Ben Skywalker a millennial?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheLastTalon, Aug 31, 2016.

1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Obviously their kid's name. Duh

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Vestaben?

DARTH_MU likes this.
  3. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    All in favour of Vestaben say aye.

Aye

4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Bestara is best.

AusStig likes this.
  5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Bestara aye

AusStig and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  6. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
  7. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    ITT: Bad reading comprehension.

I can't make any calls on Ben Skywalker because I read NJO way too long ago and never read past it to suffer through LOTF and FOTJ, and I don't want to reread it because I'm reading too many new books.

8. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    So we are agreed

The Ben and Vestra ship shall be known as...

Bestra

Also I think Ben is a very young millennial, like a kid born in 2001 or something, growing up with all these events they don't remember. So Gen z I think

Edit: My head cannon is that post FotJ Vestra was looking to resources to help build a new home for her few remaining people on Lehon (Rakata Prime)

9. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I was born on the very last day of 1989 but still consider myself an 80's kid since I was born in that decade.
    Not that I pretend to understand the whole Generation divide stuff.

I wish the writers of the NJO/Del Rey didn't decide that they should just kill off Jacen/Jaina's generation, bugger up Ben's generation, send Luke/Leia's generation into the background with no one listening to them and the even older generation (Treen, Pellaeon) being the somehow 'heroes' of the galaxy.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I assume the One Sith absorbs the Tribe, which is why they suddenly go from being Dark Jedi come Sith to caring about those who were 'Born Sith' in Legacy. It's a Tribe quality, to me.

Ben has Nat and Kol, though who his partner is I could not say.

I'd kinda like Vestara to choose to keep Kesh a secret forever, maybe precipitating a Keshiri revolt and isolating the planet again, with the Tribe kicked off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    You are right.

I think only Tenel Ka survives in Jaina/Jacen's generation.
    Tahiri in Anakin's
    Suddenly all these Sabas and Kenth Hamner shows up out of nowhere.

AusStig likes this.
  12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    As much as I wish it so, I'm afraid looking at Kol and Nat, Vestara may be out of the competition. Maybe Seha or even Tahiri.

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    There's a lot more, still.

Don't forget Lowbacca, Zekk (who almost had his own book), and Raynar (I really loved the direction they were taking his character).

Then of course Jaina, who almost got her own trilogy.

So with Tenel Ka, that's 5 really solid characters. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

Edit: and, really, Tahiri is really only a few years younger and a part of that generation as well. She was getting a good deal of character development.

The books were getting there... slowly...but getting there.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

14. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    Well at this point Lowie was pretty much completly sidlined and to be honest I think already in YJK he was pretty boring and never fullfilled a role that couldn´t have been taken by another character. I think he was mostly there because Wookies are the most well known alien species in SW and they wanted one non human in the group. Tenel Ka was also pretty much sidelined as she is queen of Hapes and not involved into the whole Jedi buiness anymore, especially now with Jacen being dead and Allana raised by her grandparents.
    Zekk yeah he would have gotten his novel but if I remeber correctly it was canceled even before Ledgends was scrapped and even if, it might have focused more on Hapes (again) than on him.
    And Jaina´s own trilogy was said to focus a great deal on Ben and Allana as well. And it would have been written by Golden who´s other work in SW has been quite controversial to say the absolute least.
    Also Tahiri was in FotJ pretty much put into the Jagged plot anymway, playing a role most of us anticipated Jaina to play as the first imperial knight. I could easily see her being killed of in SotJ for drama and to make room for Jaina in her stead.
    So yeah if you look at it the Solochildren generation got pretty sidlined with Raynar and Jaina being the last of them who have their own stories and charcater arcs and I think at least Jaina would have become part of the Jag/Empire plot at the end of SotJ if not earlier.

While I think Ben would have become the main protagonist afterwards.

15. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    This is all speculation, obviously. Any of those "sidelined" characters could have very easily been forefronted more.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

16. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I don´t think so.
    Denning seemed to be more intrested in Ben as the new lead than the older generation. He rushed the main charcters of the younger generation, Jacen, into being a villian by making sveral retcons and killed him of so Ben could take over. I think after SotJ the other charcters of Jacen and Jainas generation would have been nothing more than sidecharacters at best or just mentioned now and than.

But that's just my opinion, and since LotF I've become pretty pessimistic about the future of Ledgends.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'd take Seha. She was brilliant fun.

18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Lol. I think you're pessimism about any possible Legends future is...apt.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I don't think Ben and Tahiri is really appropriate given the age difference and Tahiri's actions in Invincible.

SWpants likes this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Hey. I rooted for Kyp and Jaina.

And Jaden and Valin, though I'm pretty sure that was just in my head.

21. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    French President Macron would like to speak with you.

AusStig and Stymi like this.
  22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Fercrissake. Just avoid mentioning him, and I'll avoid mentioning Trump. Deal?

DARTH_MU likes this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I suppose if Tahiri was fully rehabilated and Ben was at least 25 or so they could consider pursuing such a relationship while letting the past rest. Even so it would cast an unhealthy shadow over them.

Though thematically Ben and Vestara makes the most sense-as Star Wars is cyclical Luke married a former Emperor's hand it makes sense Ben would marry a former Sith apprentice.

AusStig likes this.
  24. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    While they are both insiting at the same time that their nephew/cousin who saved their lifes on multiple occasionshas to die for falling to the dark side and can't be redeemed.

25. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    There is always going to some unfortunate shadow, as you say.

But as General Covell says about his green recruits, the raw material is there.

I would like to think Ben as wanting to be responsible kind of Jedi. I want him to be the type that want to save people, help people when they are helpless. He already saved Tahiri once (from the Dark Side), I would like him to help her more.

I don't want Tahiri to be some kind of pity wife or something that Ben only took her to spend his life with because no one else would, but...

I just want Tahiri to be happy.

edit: *prays for believable B/T build up once Disney change their non continuation of Legend policy*