main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is Ben Skywalker a millennial?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheLastTalon, Aug 31, 2016.

1. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

(OTOH why does she have to have a life partner)?

I'm with you, though, Duck. I think that the Solo/Skywalker clan is family, but her adopted family, not one she'd marry into given the only two "eligible" males.

However, I think another Jedi would be ideal to understand her turmoil and some of her actions/reactions.

I agree, especially with that first statement. Most Millennials I know aren't "lazy." We're in that weird limbo between wanting everything at once (as seen in the current generation of social media and instant gratification) and first being raised before the explosion of household computers, and seem to be inactive when brains are fuzzy and we are suddenly faced with "You can't have this job without experience but no experience without a job" and we're 28 and living with parents because we can't afford to live on our own.

Ben found his niche. Unfortunately, it was a poor one, but that poor choice was guided by his dodo cousin.

If we look at a instant gratification-type thing, then based on Jacen's Dark Nest+ experiences, he's taught Ben how to manipulate minds and Force flow. That places Ben as a post-Millennial.

2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005

I don't want the Veila line to be extinct. And I don't want Tahiri to be the kind of woman who goes for casual relationships. Agrees with everything else.

SWpants likes this.
  3. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    What kind of woman is that?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I spelled it out....

You may think serious relationship is all in the past or what not... That's okay. It's your boat. Your world view. [Han]I won't get in the way [/Han]

5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I must have missed it. Can you clarify it further for me?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Sure.

I want Tahiri to take potential romantic relationship seriously. Not serial monogamy, and certainly not polygamy....

tl;dr: A woman with confucian morals?

Now I realize that may not be your Tahiri, and that's fine.

Edit: Now please bring the topic back to how awesome Ben is.

7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Star Wars isn't really into casual relationships in any case.

Tahiri has been through a lot-I'm not sure she needs to spend more of her life looking for a male companion, maybe what she needs is to find peace with herself and her past.

8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Star Wars isn't really into casual relationships in any case.

Tahiri has been through a lot-I'm not sure she needs to spend more of her life looking for a male companion, maybe what she needs is to find peace with herself and her past.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My only concern about Tahiri not being a "woman into casual relationships" is whether the same comment would be made if she were a man.

I really enjoyed Anakin and Tahiri's relationship in the NJO, and that was one reason among many that I was disappointed that Anakin died. I would not want her to take up a relationship with Jacen, that's a bit too Pearl Harbor for me. And since we're talking about Ben...I thought that scene in Invincible was many levels of wrong, invoking the whole misogynistic stereotype of women using sex as coercion, besides being generally creepy. "This is me hitting on my dead boyfriend's cousin." Yeah...no.

Other casual relationships, though, would not be unexpected.

That said though, I agree with Invictus. She probably just needs to make peace with herself at this point.

AusStig likes this.
  10. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    For me yes. I treat my fictional characters equally.

That scene is regrettable. Is that scene in Invincible? I thought it was in another earlier book.

Other casual relationships. This is all hinges on whether her possible relationship with Jacen is casual. It may be casual for Jacen, but what about Tahiri?

I'm not saying Tahiri is supposed to be spending all her free time looking for a man. Edit: I just want her DNA to continue.... And I don't want cloning... No telling what will happen... What if we end up with Riina Kwaad instead?

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    With regards to Caedus, I think it was Tahiri seeking physical comfort and connection more than he exploiting her. She was lonely and in rather bad straits after all.

And how is Jacen/Tahiri "Pearl Harbor."

AusStig likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ben Affleck gets killed (supposedly) at the Battle of Britain, Kate Beckinsale immediately goes for his best friend Josh Harnett.

In this case, Tahiri's boyfriend gets killed so she goes for his brother.

It's bad.

AusStig and Sinrebirth like this.
  13. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    But not immediately, in Tahiri's case.
    She does need help, I'm so mad that even so Han and Leia said, Kid, don't worry, we will support you... And then treat her like dirt in DNT and later.
    No one around her gives a rip, besides Ben.

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    If she wished to pursue a relationship with Jacen even a decade later? What's wrong with that?

15. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Not to mention that he was only FOURTEEN at the time.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That was the bigger thing for me.

But I suppose... if you're a Sith, you're a BAD GUY. That'd include bad stuff.

I dunno.

It is not appropriate for Star Wars anyway. Same with rape in Revelation. Or it being implied in TFA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    What? Oh man.

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The Sith are still a religious organization after all. Zannah looked down on Set Harth for his hedonistic lifestyle.

So there are some things they won't do or won't concern themselves with.

So can someone explain to me what's wrong with Jacen/Tahiri?

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Not on-screen.

But it happened in the backstory of someone in Revelation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I tried earlier with the Pearl Harbor comparison, you weren't seeing it.

And if you have no problem with the ridiculously melodramatic soap-opera-esque scenario of a character dating her dead boyfriend's brother, at any point, then you won't see why some of us have a problem with Jacen and Tahiri.

As far as Tahiri seducing a 14-year-old, the behind-the-scenes rape in Revelation, or the implication of it in TFA..."They're Sith/villains and that's just what they do" does not make it more palatable or appropriate for Star Wars to me. And people have been trying to explain this away for years, including making comparisons..."You had no problem with electrocuting Han or chopping Luke's hand off, so why this?' My mind hasn't been changed.

(I hated the Hannibal Lecter movies, if that comparison helps my stance make more sense.)

21. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    The book Hannibal was worse. I barely finished it. Poor Clarice. I want to infiltrate Lecter's compound and play the mp3 of an arrow getting fired so bad...
    As for the underage attempt to seduction. It's character assassination. But I wonder if Ben was older, a 20 year old man, would it be more palatable for you?
    The behind scene thing, for my headcanon it was already done in Edge of Victory Conquest by the YZ. And I can't remember, but maybe I didn't read Revelations for some reason? All I can say about Tahiri Veila is something not appropriate for these forums. But I shake my fist to the heavens *CURSES*
    I'm writing fanfics to make Tahiri have an okay life, you know? But it's so hard. I'm making Ben older, in 50 ABY perhaps, but damn it, as I says before, I seriously think Ben is her last chance...
    And I read on wook that she's an Imperial hands?! WT-!

22. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I think nothing, as consenting adults. But it was a little more creepy than that. I have no problem if they were interested in a purely sexual relationship. Again, consenting adults.

But the book implied a power imbalance and manipulation was involved. It wasn't just Tahiri seeking solace.

Jacen manipulated her feelings pretty heavily in regards to Anakin to serve his own agenda. Not to console her.

As a very high officer and then a government official and eventually her Sith master, the sexual component of their relationship seemed to be further utilized by Jacen to keep her emotionally unstable and submissive to him.

It was rather abusive even in that regard.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

23. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    If that were true.

Jaina: Okay Uncle Luke, I'll do it.

Mu: Get out of my way.

24. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Bestra was a great ship that Denning just seemed to kill I guess because he shipped Ben/older women?

Oh I forgot redemption is for those who deserve it (well in that case no redemption for Vader or Mara ) :rolleyes:

I still think it was bad how Ves got treated, given that she was raised in an entire society of Dark Siders so she never really had a chance to get into the light before she meet Ben, also she was a good wild card.

So what would pic Ben put on space tinder his GAG pass or Jedi discount card? (also do Jedi get id cards or discounts) or Tahiri

I think Tahiri and Jacen is a little weird, not creepy because it had been 10 years and there isn't that big an age gap. Also it's not like they have nothing in common..... like how they were both captured by the Vong and they miss Anakin

25. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Why are people saying Vestara or any of the Lost Tribe of the Sith needs to be saved?
    Their version of DS Force doesn't corrupt them, make them stronger by pure platonic love, not lust, anger, or any of that Bane stuff.
    My headcanon says they don't need to be "saved" by the "Light"