main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Bioware SW-MMO actually KOTOR 3? Is that Confirmed?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jedimarine, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Before we fall over ourselves...just want to know for sure.

And does new MMO confirm the "death" of Galaxies once and for all?

2. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    The existence of a Bioware SW-MMO is unconfirmed, let alone its status as KOTOR3 or lack thereof. There's no reason to get excited in either direction until Bioware will say something on the subject.

-Paul

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    This rumour is almost as old as time.

4. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Granted, but when the "rumor" jumps outside of the SW circles to the mainstream media, it tends to lend credibility that at least PART of it is true.

5. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I saw it on G4 too. They said it was still just a rumor.

6. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    There were countless KOTOR rumours on the "big" sites in the past, none of them has proven to be true so far.
    Of course it could be different this time around, but I wouldn't bet on it just because this gets bigger coverage than the last few rumours.

7. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    But getting back to my 2nd question.

If true...or even if not...does this mean that Lucasarts are killing off Galaxies?

I can't imagine with a new title in the market that they would continue to develop Galaxies...they might keep a server up for the hardcore, but that's it.

Perhaps they are holding off on announcing this project to give Galaxies one more Christmas season to make a little bit of cash before dropping it?

8. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I believe that if a KOTOR MMO was made, it would be separate from the main saga and more akin to Galaxies. Yes, it would take place in the same time period as KOTOR, but it wouldn't drive along the story in a way that wouldn't leave room for KOTOR3

9. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd guess that would be the case as well. Personally, I'd rather see them salvage Galaxies, though I can see some upsides to the KotOR era.

But yeah, this rumor comes up every few months at most. So, eh I'm not giving any credence.

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    The only known fact is that BioWare is working on an MMO (the main reason EA bought it). What license that MMO is for, no one outside of BioWare/EA knows. It has been rumored as both KOTOR and ME related, as well as an all-new IP.

11. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    If it isn't Star Wars MMO, then what else would it be? It's hard to come up with another franchise for which EA would be ready to pay so much as they now have...:confused:

12. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Bioware does do pretty amazing self-created IPs.

13. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    It does that, but would EA pay such a sum to get their hands in Jade Empire or Mass Effect MMO?

14. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    I certainly think they would for one in the Mass Effect universe, though I highly doubt it's an ME related project.

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Who said that EA bought Bioware because of this one MMO?

Bioware puts out one successful game after another, that's the reason why EA buys them, not because they might have an MMORPG in the future which could make some money.

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Bioware = Definition of Awesome

EA wants a piece of that Awesome because it don't got that on its own.

17. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    An article I found. It might not be KotOR3 but it seems it will at least be that era.

18. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    "Star Wars MMO" is not going to make EA drool and throw money at Bioware.

"KOTOR MMO" might.

that's the distinction...at this point, KOTOR is it's own brand, apart from SW games...Star Wars games are things like Lethal Alliance and EAW...KOTOR...that's a whole other level. And it makes a difference in sales and "who" will buy...Star Wars games I think are a younger playership...where as the KOTOR games have been older gamers. I'd pray a KOTOR MMO would maintain this.

Now let's just pray EA doesn't screw it up like they have the Simcity franchise with Maxis.

But honestly who knows...maybe it's NWN3-the MMO...I could see a rabid buy-out of that too.

19. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I'm putting my money on a new IP for the MMO project ... and I still believe KOTOR 3 exists ...

20. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    If BioWare were developing a Star Wars MMO for EA, wouldn't that mean that EA would be in legal hell?

21. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002

[face_laugh]

22. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    That's Dungeons and Dragons Online. DnD wouldn't compete with itself.

23. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    But Star Wars will?

Besides, just the system is DnD...the Neverwinter Universe is owned by Bioware...and that's what would sell...they could even change the system if DnD wouldn't license it.

24. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    The "Neverwinter Universe" is the Forgotten Realms setting--the DnD setting. Bioware didn't do NWN2 because they wanted to create their own IPs, rather than work with others.

25. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Assuming it's right . . . this new Star Wars whatever it's called thing would have to be different to what Galaxies is offering, to stand out. Otherwise, you're still just some mage or outlaw running around doing the same thing. Right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.