main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Blue the right choice for Kanan's Lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Apr 28, 2014.

?

Is Blue the right choice for Kanan's Lightsaber?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    96.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I can see why the makers of Rebels are giving Kanan a blue coloring for his blade. After all, blue and green are the main colors of the Jedi. And if the writers are trying to emulate the OT feel, I can also see why they chose blue, since that is the 1st Jedi color introduced in the OT and the main jedi color of those films.

However, I would like more screen time for Jedi not caring the usual colors.

Personally I think Yellow is a good choice, would sure make Kanan more unique in the newer star wars continuity.

Even before in TCW, the Jedi temple guards were shown caring duel wield yellow blades, and Ahsoka herself had a greenish/yellowish shoto.

What do you think?

Should Kanan have been given a lightsaber that wasn't blue? If that is the case, what color would you want him to have?

I do hope that he gets another color later on in the series.

2. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    Kanan is the main hero.

The Inquisitorius has a red saber.

Kanan needs a blue saber in contrast. Aynthing else would not suit kanan as the main hero.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think the blue blade contrasts better with his clothing. If he had a yellow saber but the same clothing I think it would look vomit-inducing. I also can't see green going well with that outfit. So yes, blue is definitely best.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    At this point I have no preference. I don't intend to get invested with Rebels. I didn't with TCW and I'm just fine, thanks. I do hope however someone will stop or at least diversify the 'red is Evil' colour theme with the Sith. It's lame. A colour isn't evil.

5. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Well no the color "Red" is technically not evil, but it makes sense that when it is used in lightsabers, it represents "evil", because the Sith (and other darksiders, ones that often work for the Sith) have taken it upon themselves to make that a tradition for them (a tradition that has lasted a LONG time). Of course it is possible for a Jedi to make a lightsaber with a red coloring, however because they are aware of Red being a Sith tradition, they shy away from Red coloring, to help distinguish themselves from the Sith.

So if more dark jedi, beside the Inquisitor are encountered, I do think they should stick to Red, since they are working for the Sith.

However it would be nice to see a lightsaber wielding villain in Rebels that uses a blue or green blade (could be in the form of a rouge dark jedi, perhaps a former Jedi, who has no affiliation with the Sith/Empire).

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes, I know all this, thanks. I simply think making Red 'represent' Evil is lame.

Vader'sGoodHand likes this.
  7. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Some writers decided to take a detour from the "red = evil" with Exar Kun, for he sure did not follow that rule (I think he was not aware of it).

[​IMG]

Unfortunately he got the Retcon Bomb dropped on him :(

Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I find that the blue saber rather suits Kanan's bright blue eyes, myself. (No, really, it's a thing). :)

I know that when I've worn blue, I've often been told that it "brings out the color in [my] eyes."

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    They say they want the series to be like Ep. IV, so yes.

10. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    If Rebel's wants to feel like ANH then a blue lightsaber for the hero it is. Kanan may actually turn out to be the Obi-wan of the series.

11. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Blue is cool with me

12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There are people out there that do color studies and show how people react to certain colors. For instance, even in polls of "what is your favorite color?" blue tends to dominate, while colors like yellow, orange, gray and brown lag. It's not an equal split among all colors as would be expected if favorite color were some random factor of a person's psychology. There is something that is appealing about blue to a comparatively large number of people, as opposed to something like yellow. That's not to say that there aren't people out there that love yellow or hate blue, but this number is comparatively small. For instance, my favorite color is orange, but in a poll of thousands of people, I would be in a relatively small group.

I took a graphic design course, and while I don't have scientific literature to back up the findings, I take it for granted that my teacher knew what she was talking about when discussing the considerations to be made when deciding what colors to use and when she spoke of color theory. Blue was said to be a very pleasing and calming color, while yellow was a color that was meant to create more a sense of unease. Those are the only two I remember vividly, though I believe that green was also associated as a more calming and peaceful color.

Which may make it no coincidence that when it comes to religion, white and blue are the more calming and comforting colors that are often associated with the sky (in all those commercials for Christian music CDs) and heaven. While black and red are more hellish colors.

[​IMG]

cdgodin, cwustudent, rdhight and 3 others like this.
  13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

no it's not. it makes perfect sense. red is hot and dangerous in nature. stop signs and stop lights are red for a reason.

14. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

I don't take it as a sign that red=evil in some objective sense. That would be lame. I take it as a sign that the Sith chose to use the red lightsaber as a symbol, much as countless organizations and sports teams use red to identify themselves. Do we really see any symbols or insignia that are definitely Sith and only Sith, as opposed to just belonging to ancient cultures that happened to have Sith in them? That red saber is about all they've got to literally show their colors. And the likely reason they chose red is what jeditraitor said: a sign of danger from nature.

15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    It could also possibly be a sign of livery coming from Palpatine. Or at least since the old EU is tentative in what will carry over into the unified story. In the EU, Sith as far back as Vitiate's empire used predominantly red blades, but that's uncertain if that still stands.

Palpatine got into office as Chancellor and he replaced the blue senate guards with red guards, and Thire and those clones assigned to protect Palpatine were adorned in red. I believe the official site, perhaps before the site was overhauled, at one point mentioned that Thire and the senate clones were adorned in Palpatine's "favorite hue" or something like that. I can't remember exactly where/when this was stated. But if that's the case, then Palpatine as the Sith Lord might merely be adorning his apprentices with "his color" just as he did with the clones and senate guards in his service. Dooku pledges loyalty to Palpatine, and Palpatine might give him a red crystal. Which even just psychologically shows that Dooku is "his." Same with Maul and Vader.

At a different time, perhaps a different Sith would adorn subordinates in different colors for all I know.

I'm not saying for certain that this is what's going on, or that this will be represented in future media as to the significance of the red (merely being Palpatine's favorite color, and not representing the Sith as a whole in any way). But that is a plausible route, IMO. And in the real world, lords often did have their own banners and adorn their subordinates in their colors.

EDIT: Source

rdhight likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Blue is hotter.

Not sure what to think personally. Some random color would make sense, but blue, yeah.

rdhight likes this.
  17. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Referring to fire, yes. Blue is considered a 'cool' color according to color theory. I programmed concert and theatrical lighting for a few years. There, blue was frequently used to create a calm or relaxing environment and red was often used to create suspense or excitement.

Revanfan1 and cwustudent like this.
  18. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    Well then it sounds like the answer to the OP's question is: Blue is the wrong choice. I'm not going to be tuning to Rebels in hopes of getting calmed and relaxed!

19. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Certainly not. Though I'd consider most Jedi to be calmer and less violent than most Sith. ;) Blue is generally regarded as a more pleasing color, as TaradosGon already pointed out. Blue is frequently associated with good and red is often associated with evil.

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    in the aotc bts george said "good guys blue and green. bad guys red". sam jackson asked for purple and george said maybe. he got it. nick gillard asked for yellow but he didn't get it. technically luke's saber would have been blue in rotj if it had looked good and we may have had only blue and red.

so you have cool and hot. fire and ice. red is most importantly the COLOR OF BLOOD.

this has been know for thousands of years.

Color Psychology

21. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Well Filoni has opened the flood gates to other colors. We have a dark saber for one, then Ahsoka's shoto is a yellow-green color. I know some people had asserted that it was yellow, but Filoni had maintained that while it does have a yellow tinge to it, it is still green and doesn't violate the Red, Green, Blue, Purple colors established by Lucas. But then in the fugitive arc, the Jedi guards are given yellow blades and Tera Sinube's is silver - at least in the fugitive arc, in Lightsaber Lost, I would have sworn it was blue. I think at one point Filoni had teased that he really had to sneak the yellow sabers in and - I felt - implied wanted them as a nod to the Pittsburgh Penguins. So, I mean if purple, yellow, silver and black are possible - albeit rare - who is to say that orange, pink, and other colors are not also possible? But in a tale of good vs. evil, I still suspect blue and green to be prominent colors for heroes, since they subconsciously read differently than giving a hero a yellow or orange blade.

But such colors may not even be rare, they might be common, just not from Ilum, where the Jedi would traditionally go to get their crystals.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe all Ilum crystals start out the same color - only gaining differentiation when attuned by a Jedi?

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/20...-star-wars-the-clone-wars-season-five-part-1/Dave

Filoni: “The Gathering” really, I think, was George’s effort to clarify the way he felt Jedi got their lightsabers, and he felt that it was something that happened when they were very young. He definitely threw us all a curve when told us that the crystals don’t have a color until the Jedi actually have them. And then I thought that that was really interesting. That’s one of those things that only comes from George, when you’re going to the mind of the Star Wars encyclopedia. It makes sense, because if an average person goes in that cave, there’s tons of ice and tons of crystals and you can’t tell the difference between them. It’s almost like a defense mechanism. But when a Jedi is in tune with one, the one that calls to them, they can find it. And then when they have it, it basically will make a blade when it’s bent a certain color. I thought that was one of the nice revelations there.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  23. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Red is the color of passion and luuuurve.
    Blue is okay for an everyman like Kanan and I personally don't see the proliferation of colors until the New Jedi Order was established.

24. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

That doesn't answer the question as to whether Mace and Tera also had Ilum crystals (with any history of Mace's crystal for the time being, not being canon) but that they just attuned with the Jedi in a rare way, or if they were not Ilum crystals at all, or if they were synthetic crystals that the Jedi could manipulate into whatever color they wanted (I believe at one point Filoni remarked that the trip to Ilum was more of a right of passage, and that every single time a Jedi loses their lightsaber, they do not have to keep going back there. Or maybe there are colorless crystals on other planets that tune to different colors other than blue and green.

I mean that all of the Jedi guards have yellow sabers and nobody else is shown to is a conspicuous occurrence. And thinking through it logically, I would not think that it's just some coincidental occurrence that every single one of these individuals just attuned to their sabers, resulting in the same color. I would think that perhaps they were synthetically created, or somehow artificially manipulated to give them that color, and that the color is symbolic of their role.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it's the other way round - only "yellow saber" Jedi are recruited to the Guard - because they have the right personality traits and skillset, which come through when they first attune their lightsabers?

Though it does seem more likely that the Jedi would have the sabers in stock, and hand them out to those that qualify as Guards.

Revanfan1, kecen and TaradosGon like this.