main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is Boba Fett really dead....?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Jan 2, 2014.

?

Did Boba Fett die in the belly of the Sarlaac?

1. No, Boba Fett escaped and should be part of the Sequel Trilogy

63 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. No, Boba Fett escaped and his post-Jedi adventures will be part of a Spin Off film

81 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. No, Boba Fett escaped but his post-Jedi stories should be left to the EU

27 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Yes, Boba Fett is Dead... Let it go

141 vote(s)
    38.6%
  5. No, Boba Fett is still being digested, as he will be for another thousand years or so

53 vote(s)
    14.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    And George is correct. Nobody ever claimed that Boba Fett is a major contributor to the saga (well, certainly, I never did). He's no Luke, Vader, Obi-Wan or Palpatine. In the grand sceme of things, Fett's exactly what Lucas said he was: at best, a tertiary player in the films, and to suggest otherwise would be plain silly.

But for my money, none of that has any bearing whatsoever on whether Boba Fett was thought of as a skilled bounty hunter by Darth Vader. Just because Vader doesn't call Fett by name - particularly at a time when Vader had much, much more important, pressing matters on his mind (the imminent capture of Luke) - to me, isn't evidence that Vader doesn't trust in Fett's ability to deliver the goods. After all, Boba had in fact done just that.

Like I said, Pevra's interpretation is just as valid as anyone's, I simply don't subscribe to it. To me, all six of the bounty hunters aboard the Executor were never "whoever happened to be close at hand." Rather, they represented a select group of renown professionals. Considering the circumstances, I just don't see Vader settling for anything less.

Pro Scoundrel and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Desperate times call for desperate measures. His enemies were getting away. Vader simply used whatever he had at his disposal.

TheBBP likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I tend to think the Empire would keep tabs on the best of the best and would only need to contact them when the time came.

4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I know that flying the Millennium falcon to Alderaan took quite a while. I don't even want to know how long it would take to assemble bounty hunters from across the entire galaxy.

And I know that space travel time is a bit fluid - but when talking about the OT I'd rather take the OT representation of travel.

5. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    If manufacturing feelings about how awesome that Vader thought that Fett was regardless of what the man who created Fett thought of Fett so that you can enjoy the fandom better, then I have nothing but support for you. Considering that everything amazing about the gent is in the EU and is not canon, you are probably safe in making up whatever you want about him.

6. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I that case, Vader's lucky the best happened to answer the call. ;)

No, but seriously, I just think that Vader directing the lines "I want them alive. No disintegrations." to Fett just shows that Boba had a known predilection for choosing "dead" rather than "alive" when the warrant left him with the option. I think Vader was simply making it crystal clear that this was not one of those jobs. I honestly believe that if Vader truly felt that Fett was at risk of screwing up the job, Vader would not have included Boba and would have only been talking to five hunters, instead of six.

OOU, I always read it as a line meant to tell the audience that this guy in particular is ruthless in his methods, nothing more.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Since Han says "We'll be at Alderaan at 0200" the implication is that it's less than a day.

8. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Maybe he meant "Oh, 200" (rotations around the nearest star)???? [face_clown]

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I hardly think that was called for. Darth_Pevra has been capable of sharing in a perfectly polite discussion with me on our differing interpretations. Maybe you can take a cue from her?

And I don't feel as though I'm "manufacturing feelings" about anything the film gives us, as I hardly think it's a stretch to read Vader entrusting top of the line assets with such a vital mission.

But if it makes you feel batter to come down on your fellow members and cast yourself in such an unflattering light, by all means, be my guest.

edit: typo

10. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Trebor Sabreon I can see how my wording looked like I was attempting to belittle you. It was not intended and I do apologize.

11. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    My star wars fan side says "Yes he's gone...get over it"

but my Movie Exec side says "Lucasfilm will find some way to bring Boba back due to his popularity. Whether it be an actual resurrection/"He never died" or having some new guy (most likely Boba's son or something) take the armor. The character is simply too popular for them to leave out of the entire sequel trilogy especially a trilogy that seems to be obsessed with the idea of being nostalgic"

12. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    He has the same chance of survival as Palpatine, Maul, Anakin getting burned up, Luke falling down a bottomless shaft...

Mystery Roach likes this.
  13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    cool. If Fett survived it means Klaatu, Barada, Nikto, and the rest of the skiff guards did as well! [face_dancing] Looks like Luke better watch his back!

14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    You joke, but Lucas himself opened up that can of worms by bringing Maul back. I fully expect to see Alderaan in the ST.

15. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003

Another Asteroid field scene?

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Nope, a clone. With velociraptor legs. :)

17. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    don't forget a de-aged CGI Alderaan

18. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    I am one of those Star Wars fans that never got why people like this character so much. At the risk of offending a couple of you here, I think he is a little bit overrated. Having said that, I hope we don't see him in this new installment of the saga.

19. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    Let me be the first to attempt to bring some lets say understanding to this subject.........

1.) Fett was great because he was mysterious...........(Fandom loves mysterious characters, because they have imaginations that can fill in the mystery with coolness.)

2.) Fett was great because he was a man of few words......(That character trait as long been known thoughout the ages as somebody you dont mess with........aka....a Bad Ass !!

3.) Fett was great because he had the arua of someone who could actually stand up to VADER....... ,( There were few who could by the time of Empire, Luke was not fully trained yet, Obi-wan was gone, Yoda was too old...etc., Vader personally addressed Fett on the bridge because he knew Fett was the defacto ring leader of the group he assembled., Remember Fett didnt want Solo killed because he had a 2nd rich price to collect from Jabba the Hutt who wanted Solo alive.)

4.) Fett was great because he was a bounty hunter a lot of people could relate too, and they did and they made him one of the most popular characters in the whole saga, against George Lucas wishes, but they was nothing Lucas could do other than give him a horrible fight in Jedi and a lame attempt at slapstick comedy which MUST BE UNDONE IN THE SPIN OFF FILM !! Lucas figured this would end the love for the charcter but it did not, Fans continued to demand more Fett, and we got it in the EU, in the Video games, in the Books and soon we will get it in the ST as WELL !!!!

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  20. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    Funny how some can say Fett died in ROTJ he is done gone bye. We saw him fall in the pit but did anyone know what happen afterwards No! So why not a bounty hunter who has all kinds of tricks and gadgets he can use to survive. He is loved by the many and that is why lucas gave us a backstory of him in PT so why not be in VII or a stand alone. This character is great with a deep dark history in EU who is not a sith, jedi or scroundrel. To me he reminds me of wolverine from marvel Xmen who will do what is nesessary to get the bounty to survive.

21. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    It's not as much a question of "if" it could happen. The question (at least for me) is "why?". We all saw him perish like a two-bit chump. We saw how Vader offhandedly regards him when he complains about Vader potentially killing Han. Other than that, he stands there. As far as the official (canonical) story goes, he was nobody special. ESPECIALLY in the end.

Could they bring him back? Of course they can. They brought Maul back. The difference being that Fett died from having zero composure whatsoever after his jet pack was tapped by a blind Han Solo. Not to mentione that it happened while he was taking multiple shots a Luke Skywalker who was standing in one spot from less than 10 meters away and missing on every shot. At least Maul went down after defeating Qui Gon and nearly defeating Obi Wan.

Maul has actually done things on screen and in canon to deserve his rep. Fett has done nothing but die like a chump. So yeah, bring back the flailing and wailing clone hack who has all of the marksmanship skills of an average Stormtrooper.

22. Fastback

Jan 12, 2014
    lol ok but that is how Lucas handled Fett in ESB and ROTJ, he did not see what he had at the time. But he made a bigger deal of Fett/Jango in PT for a reason and was a hit in EU. So what Vader blows him off it's Vader lol. Yes his jet pack was hit by a blind Solo but that is what Solo does he survives on blind luck. ok he took multiple shots at Luke who has the force good luck. Maul yes defeated Qui Gon than he gets hacked in half by a Jedi Apprentice lol. Lucas was not going to let Fett steal the show/scene from the big three and have you even given Fett a chance by reading up on him. He has a great story about him in Legacy of the Force good read think blood ties book.

23. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    So, you could make a movie based on all of his incredibly awesome exploits and what not. You still have his death in ROTJ. Or, you could make a movie dragging him out of the Sarlaac and spend the movie working to convince the audience that he is not the chump that was taken out the way that he was in ROTJ.

You "lol" that Maul got cut in half by an apprentice. That apprentice was Obi Wan Kenobi, who grew into one of the greatest Jedi of the time. Maul went out due to overconfidence and after he had already defeated a Jedi Master. Fett went out due to incredible lack of ability and an insane lack of composure.

24. Fastback

Jan 12, 2014
    Yes I lol at Maul getting hacked by Obi Wan and yes agree he becomes one of the best Jedi of all time. I just think how can you make a big deal of Maul who was raised to be a sith and still got hacked by a apprentice no matter who it was. You believe how you feel about Fett thats cool I respect you opinion but don't agree. He has more to offer that Lucas did not take advantage of in OT. Thats on Lucas but he did not have time to make Fett bigger than what he became in EU, which exploits the back and fourth between Han and Fett. I think a stand alone movie of Fett will be great you will see.

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I too think Boba is overrated, but making a badass out of him won't anger anyone except a few hardcore fans. And even those would never be as important as the Boba fanboys.

Blast away, Disney.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.