main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is Boba Fett really dead....?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Jan 2, 2014.

?

Did Boba Fett die in the belly of the Sarlaac?

1. No, Boba Fett escaped and should be part of the Sequel Trilogy

63 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. No, Boba Fett escaped and his post-Jedi adventures will be part of a Spin Off film

81 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. No, Boba Fett escaped but his post-Jedi stories should be left to the EU

27 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Yes, Boba Fett is Dead... Let it go

141 vote(s)
    38.6%
  5. No, Boba Fett is still being digested, as he will be for another thousand years or so

53 vote(s)
    14.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    He's dead, I don't want to see him in the ST, he's so overrated as a character. What really makes him THAT great? Like someone said earlier on this thread Jango is a lot more interesting as a character, but he was also somewhat wasted too.

jaqen and TheBBP like this.
  2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Of course Boba is alive. He is popular and he sell's action figures, that's what counts. Why do you think he was in the Prequels in the first place

3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The problem with the "digested over 1000's of years, so he is still alive" bit is that he dies in less than a week without water, so digestion of his body is irrelevant at that point. Yeah, he could have flown out right afterwards, but that idea sucks IMO.

There is discussion about how "popular" he is, but really, relatively few care about him; he is only popular if viewed through the scope of SW websites (where only a microscopic portion of those who go to see SW movies ever appear, an unrepresentative and deceptive sample).

IMO, Boba is the epitome of clinging to the old stories/movies for all of the wrong reasons. It is time to move on. Bring in some new, interesting, and cool characters, there is so much room for creativity. We are ALREADY going to have enough repeats with the Big 3 and other more relevant and interesting characters we might see (Lando, Chewie, Anakin Force ghosts, etc.). And remember, all of these would be in to set up and move into the NEW characters, who will overall be the main focus. Don't dilute with Boba.

A spinoff? I'm against it because, again, there is nothing that stands out about him except cool gear and weapons, and those things could easily be re-created for a more interesting character. There are just so many better ideas. Do an "Old Republic" movie, a "Young Han Solo" movie, a story totally unrelated to anything in the current SW universe, do Underworld, anything but one that is about Boba.

TheBBP likes this.
  4. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Then explain the staggering amount of Boba Fett merchandise that is made and sold. He is among the most merchandised character in SW.

Immortiss, Trebor Sabreon and Ryus like this.
  5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, to "explain" it, I would have to have a lot more info than I do ( kids like his backpack?), but that doesn't change what I was saying. What percentage of the hundreds of millions of people all over the world that would go to see a SW movie have bought Boba Fett action figures, or have any sort of investment in seeing Bob Fett in the ST? I am going to guess less than 1%.

The word "relative' is there for an important reason. There are a lot of SW nuts, but they are miniscule relative to SW movie goers, or even casual SW fans.

6. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    "Relative" or no, I recall a quote attributed to Lucasfilm from a couple of years back that, of any Star Wars character, Boba Fett consistently ranks number 2 in merchandising sales, across all sectors (so taking into account not only "Star Wars nuts," but the general buying populace, as well), behind only Darth Vader.

If this quote is accurate (and I see no reason for Lucasfilm to have lied about such things), then this is a fact which tells me something. I know that some people are baffled by the Boba Fett's popularity, and many are seemingly willing go to great lengths to deny anything good about the character, but again, opinion is one thing, whereas facts are facts.

TKT, Barbecue17 and Immortiss like this.
  7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Actually no on your bit in parentheses. The fact that a lot of toys are sold still lands them between SW nuts a smaller portion of casual fan. The "general buying populace" thing is a silly way to put those who buy Boba Fett stuff; that is fitting as a title for those who buy irons and coffee makers.

Sales facts about Boba Fett are facts, how that actually translates to the world population caring about Boba Fett in the PT is induction (induction= a generalization that requires someone's opinion, to draw a conclusion, something that is by definition uncertain).

Go to your local movie theatre and ask random people how much concern they have for Boba Fett in the ST. "Boba who?"

I get that people like Boba here, and that is fine; you are still not going to logically stretch that to the countless millions that go see SW movies.

Han Solo? Having Harrison back? That's a different story.

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

So does Darth Vader. Are they bringing him back too?

Disney and Lucasfilm can capitalize well off Boba's popularity without resurrecting him in a post Jedi film.

MacetheCouncillor likes this.
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I hear what you're saying, Lee_, but my parenthetical was not speculation on my behalf.

If I am remembering correctly (and I believe I am), the quote was regarding all merchandising which featured specific character's likenesses (including gift cards, clothing, wrapping paper, "irons and coffee makers" and every other of the mind-bogglingly vast array of SW-licensed merch which can be found just by walking the aisles of your local Wal Mart), not only toys. Boba Fett was said to rank, year after year, behind only Vader in total sales. Otherwise, I wouldn't not have bothered with writing the post in the first place.

edit: But even if it were in relation to toys alone (again, I do not think it was, but "if"), this does not entirely invalidate my point. In non-film years, toys are, by and large, Lucasfilm's number one money-maker, year-to-year. Above and beyond money made from television ventures, home video sales and all the rest. When the general public wants a "piece" of SW, folks tend to think action figures.

10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    OK, but Lucasfilms wasn't differentiating between the 2 groups (SW nuts vs general buying populace)- they are talking total sales. While total sales sound like a lot, they still represent a portion of the population that is quite small. What percentage of people have SW irons and coffee makers?

You have to move outside of SW fans and look at SW movie goers. Just about everyone has seen a SW movie, a VERY SMALL portion of those buy merchandise.

11. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, look, I mean, Disney will be working off of something, and when it comes to cold, hard cash, the numbers place Fett right near the top. I'm not certain by what other measure Disney could realistically be expected to draw their conclusions from in measuring a character's popularity.

I imagine that, for example, in a random sample poll, folks could be expected to recognize the name "Boba Fett" enough to say "Star Wars," or even "bounty hunter" in great enough numbers to leave an impression. As recognizable as "Darth Vader," "Luke Skywalker," or "Han Solo"? I'd imagine not, no. But I would be willing to bet that any random person with the ability to name, say, 5-10 SW characters would have Fett among their list more often than not.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's certainly been my experience.

12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Obviously, Disney and LF are aware that a cheap merchandising cash grab would be a mistake, otherwise they would be having Vader in it. However, I would agree with this paragraph to some degree in terms of a spinoff. There are a lot of different considerations for which spinoff would be best, and money certainly is a biggie, if not THE biggie; merchandise sales are a consideration in that. I still wouldn't say a Boba Fett movie is the best for the overall health and cash flow of the franchise for loads of other reasons though unless they really come up with a great story and make a great movie out of it; a bad movie could hurt the franchise in the long run, and IMO there are other subjects that would make for a better movie.

13. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Though I think a Boba Fett stand-alone is a fine idea, I agree with every bit of this (especially with the need for a really great story). Just saying "Fett's a popular character, let's capitalize on this and crank out a B.F. film" -- making a Boba Film just for the sake of, well, making a Boba Fett film -- is something I think even the most hardcore Fett fan doesn't want to see happen.

That said, a lot of thought has been put into this particular project by Joe Johnston for years now, and I've every faith in Larry Kasdan delivering on this one, so I'm hopeful.

Pro Scoundrel and Lee_ like this.
  14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Maybe you will get your wish.

http://www.theforce.net/story/front...dan_Is_Writing_A_Boba_Fett_Spinoff_156070.asp

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  15. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    There is a staggering amount of all of the main characters made and sold. Darth Vader being #1.

16. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I bet his daughter Ailyn Vel comes back

17. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Oh, I sincerely doubt that.
    Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, R2, 3PO, Vader, The Emperor, Yoda, Darth Maul - these are all characters the general populace recognizes. Boba Fett? Well, I'd have to see numbers. I've taught high school for close to ten years, and many of my students have heard of Star Wars (and went to see the new ones, back when that was happening,) but are absolutely the casual audience for the films. Many who have not seen them could point out the characters I mentioned, but I've never had a student who wasn't a hard core fan mention Boba (and as a popular teacher, the kids are always trying to ingratiate themselves to me by bringing up Star Wars.) My sample size is in the thousands, and while it's empirical, I'd say it's still a pretty good indicator. Moreover, the age group of my students goes teenager to mid-20s, which is likely the audience Disney most wants to woo (judging by the use of the Marvel format.)

Now, Disney will likely give us a Fett film, and soon. They want to show the hard core fans the sale was a good one. Fett looks cool, and he'll definitely move merch. It's Johnston's white whale. None of this should be used to prove that the general populace approves of, or even acknowledges those of us weirdos obsessed with the most overrated character of all time.

18. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Exactly. The casual fan has only seen Fett get his bounty handed to him by Vader and then absolutely punked by a blind Han Solo. His popularity lies squarely within the Fandalorians within the EU crowd. He is an insanely overhyped character who officially on screen seen less action than the Jedi played by George Lucas' kid in Revenge of the Sith. Sure, Fett has more time on screen, but 90% of it is him just standing there.

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I say he probably escaped the Sarlacc, but his story should not be a part of the ST. There's a point where we'll have too many returning characters and the ST will seem like one big family reunion. Honestly, I don't want to see that happen. When I look at Boba Fett, while he seems popular enough with the fans, I don't really see what story he could tell in the new films without him feeling like he was shoehorned in there to appease the diehards. I don't have any issue with him appearing in his own spin-off film at some point, but let's keep it to that and his stories in the existing EU.

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, that's what gets me about him. Aside from a few moments of action and dialogue, he could be a cardboard cutout- it is almost hard to call him a "character." Wanting a Fett film is wanting a movie about a character you know so little about (at least in terms of who LF would make him be, this is not the EU), just someone with cool gear.

TheBBP likes this.
  21. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    The explanation is that he is popular. You don't have to agree. Numbers don't lie.

22. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    What numbers?

23. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Fandalorians - I love it! [face_laugh]

TheBBP likes this.
  24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    LOL, are you even paying attention to the conversation? You shouldn't come in and refute 10% of an argument with a few side points, that's just silly.

25. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    *Reads conversation while wearing a Boba Fett hoodie*

Boba Fett received his own postage stamp through the USPS. That has to count for something.

Immortiss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.