main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is Boba Fett really dead....?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Jan 2, 2014.

?

Did Boba Fett die in the belly of the Sarlaac?

1. No, Boba Fett escaped and should be part of the Sequel Trilogy

63 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. No, Boba Fett escaped and his post-Jedi adventures will be part of a Spin Off film

81 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. No, Boba Fett escaped but his post-Jedi stories should be left to the EU

27 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Yes, Boba Fett is Dead... Let it go

141 vote(s)
    38.6%
  5. No, Boba Fett is still being digested, as he will be for another thousand years or so

53 vote(s)
    14.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

I don't see Boba Fett as a villain. He's a bounty hunter, which to me, makes him easily an Anti-Hero. He's a hired gun, so he could be used for good purposes just as well as evil deeds. There's no reason Fett or someone like him couldn't be hired by the Rebels at some point to capture or assassinate an Imperial or to steal something of value from the Empire.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    6 movies (soon to be more) compared to hundreds of books and comics. Film franchise? Hah. We evolved past that years ago. 1977/1978 or so. Everything is canon is now.
    If people prefer the EU over the new stuff, so be it. There is enough room on the internet to coexist.

Gamma626 likes this.
  3. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Except for the facts that he hates all Jedi, actively works with criminals or works as the muscle for criminal cartels on the regular. Toss in the fact that he wears braided Wookiee scalps as part of his gear says a lot to the notion that he is not in any way any kind of decent person. Any movie trying to make him out to even be an anti-hero will have to do a lot of retconning.

Krueger likes this.
  4. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    You can't forget the video games. There's gotta be well over 30 games. Heck, even the Old Republic, an ongoing mmo is considered "non-canon" yet it doesn't stop people from playing it daily.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Try 100 plus and I'm sure I'm being generous with that estimate.
    True about TOR.

6. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    I really hope Fett is alive and really enjoy his character. Although I have never understood the origin of his cult following?

7. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    It's an interesting discussion (and given that we meet Fett standing aboard the Executor, working for the Empire and hauling one of the heroes away, I'm not going to tell anyone who looks at Boba Fett and sees only a baddie that they are "wrong"), but I'm with Rodie on this one.

Fett is a bounty hunter. And a bounty hunter's allegiance is, ultimately, to themselves and their work. Work which largely hinges on a marriage of ideals like "Justice" and "Commerce." Putting two concepts like these together can make us feel uneasy (we we like to think of them as being separate), but for a guy in Fett's line of work, they go hand-in-hand with one another.

The thing which blurs the lines is that, in an evolving political climate like the one Fett lived through, things get... complicated.

I mean, Boba Fett can legitimately take his actions in ESB, look himself in the mirror and say, "I'm working on the side of law and order. I am a tool of justice."

But we know that this legitimate government is actually headed by the devil.

Where it gets even more 'iffy' is when you look at his appearances in ANH and ROTJ.

In ROTJ, Boba seems to be employed as protection for Jabba. Now, the fact is, Fett only acts here in defense of his employer. He does not act until his boss is under direct threat of fire.

But then, we have to be honest: His employer is, well, a mafia don. And in ANH, Fett appears in a role which might best be described as an "enforcer."

But what I don't see in an adult Fett is a being who threatens the lives of innocent non-combatants the way someone truly evil like Palpatine or Maul does without a second thought. No, the only time we see anything at all like this coming from Boba Fett is in his childhood mission of revenge against Mace Windu. But even here, we see a being who is shown to be conflicted about his actions, and who speaks out in defense Republic soldiers who the mission is "not about." Unfortunately, the young Fett is under the guidance of a maniacal and bloodthirsty lunatic like (the fabulous) Aurra Sing.

In the end, though, Boba is fortunate to have some sense talked in to him by Hondo Ohnaka. With his arguments of "honor" and doing things as Boba's father would, Hondo may have been the one who stepped-in at the crucial juncture in Boba's development and saved Fett from a life of madness. Absolutely critical.

I don't really think we can say Boba hates "all" Jedi, either. He probably has his, let's say, "issues" with them (and he certainly, absolutely hated Windu for what Mace did to Jango), but I don't see Fett as someone driven by an overwhelming hatred of any and all Jedi. I certainly don't think he's on a mission to wipe them out, or anything. I think he was out to get one guy.

And the Wookiee braids? Well, we still have to find out whether that's even what we're dealing with, here. As with a lot of hunters, Boba may, in fact, keep some trophies. Or he may not. That's EU lore. As things currently stand, we don't know what those braids really are, nor have we any idea how Boba went about assembling his iconic set of armor (but I'd sure like to find out).

I don't know. Just my opinion (and maybe a little food for thought).

8. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    That was a long-winded way of not debunking that he is by every appearance, a bad guy. You should read his databank entry at StarWars.com which I am assuming is canon since the main entry only contains info that is in canon material.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/boba-fett
    His known employment history as well as his known associates in no way offer the suggestion that he is a good guy or even an anti-hero. My point stands. If they want to make a Fett film and not have him being a bumbling bad guy, they are going to need a good bit of retcons.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Fistful of Fetts! the guy's a freakin' clone, ain't he? They could totally get away with it. (and point out that it was "Gary Fett" who fell into the Salracc that day. He was always a little slow.)

10. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

My pet theory has always been Fett switch out his armour onto someone else and is living the highlife with Jabbas money....or just R2 slipped something in his drink!

MakingStarWars, TheBBP and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    As a wise doctor said in another Star named SF series:

He's dead Jim.

I'd like to see a new bounty hunter in this trilogy.

TheBBP likes this.
  12. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but when you don't quote me directly, I don't receive an alert notice.

"Long-winded"? "Long-winded?!?" Bah! Why do you so often like to come off as a grouch when I try to discuss things with you? :p

Hell, maybe it was long-winded, but that's my way. And I had fun typing it up. :D

As for the databank entry? If you want to consider a one-off line in an entry written by who knows who as a primary source? More power to you. I've sat through far too many changes to the OS and it's character entries over the years to take anything written in them as 'unchangeable bedrock' in the same way we know the films and TCW/Rebels to be. But that's only me. I'm not saying it cannot be cited as evidence. And if it helps you to get more enjoyment out of (or a better handle on) a character? Cool.

But I'm just talking about my interpretation of what we actually see on the screen. And looking at the films and TCW, Fett only ever really showed any open disdain or hostility towards the one Jedi who killed his father. This is certainly subject to change. We may see Boba show up later with an avowed hatred for all things Jedi, but we haven't seen anything like this yet.

As far as the 'good guy/bad guy' stuff? I've never said I view Fett as a good guy, certainly (only that, when working as a tool of the law, he may feel justified in viewing himself that way). But I don't necessarily see him as a clear-cut 'bad guy' type, either. I mean, when I was a child, I did, sure. There's that element Lucas put into the films. It exists if that's how one cares to interpret things. Guilty by association, and all.

But now that I can see things beyond black and white? I don't just see some jerk who took one of my favorite heroes away (like I did as a kid). I know that there is more which can be gleaned from the story. Bounty-hunting is an honorable profession, and Han Solo was a wanted criminal. Someone who had killed any number of soldiers affiliated with the presiding legal authority. To me, nothing Fett did while working for the Empire in ESB comes close to qualifying as an evil, or even dishonorable, act. In tracking the 'Falcon and leading the Empire to Bespin, Boba Fett was a bounty hunter taking a job from the government and fulfilling his contract.

But then this is weighted against his decision to double-dip and take Solo away with him to Jabba. This, along with Fett's depiction in ANH and ROTJ -- where again, though he's not doing anything overtly evil (like a Maul, Vader or Sidious would), he is working for a criminal -- suggests a far less noble side to the man.

That Boba Fett seems to lack evil intent, coupled with the fact that -- per TCW -- we know that the guy lives by a code where he strives to honor his father and insists on keeping his word and delivering on a job for his client, are, in my mind, each points in Fett's favor. However, Fett's choice in clientele is often of the questionable variety. It may be how one in his line of work needs to operate to survive, but it doesn't put Boba in the best of lights, either.

So, I suppose that, for me, Fett qualifies as (for lack of a better term) more of a 'grey' character.

I know that you disagree, and that's fine. I only wish that you were maybe a little less worried about making certain that your "point stands," and maybe a little more interested in welcoming, considering and discussing different points-of-view. The type of thing which stimulates new thoughts and encourages learning.

Even if it does lead to long-winded replies, it makes things around here a lot more fun than simply trading in pissing contests.

13. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

The problem is that you are putting your opinion and interpretation up against facts and telling me that I should be more open-minded to interpretation. There is no need for that when facts are present. Facts win every single time. Yes, a one-off line in the databank trumps your interpretation.

Edit: To add, I COMPLETELY see how I come off as a condescending jerk. I swear to Jesus that I do not mean to be that way. But for me, the evidence does paint a black and white picture. To me it shows me that Fett is not living in the gray area, he is a thug.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  14. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Right, but I'm saying that, to me, a one-off line in a databank entry does not trump on-screen depictions (which, of course, are largely open to interpretation. That's the fun to be had here!).

But I'm not tying to sway you, or 'win.' Just looking for some fun discourse. :)

Force Smuggler and TheBBP like this.
  15. CGI-BOBAFENT

Feb 5, 2002
    If we're going on Databank entries alone then there's this line...

"while he was a bounty hunter, he was not heartless."

From this we can surmise that he was a loving guy who went around giving flowers to kittens and helping old ladies cross the street ;p

To be honest his character is such a blank slate at the mo they can craft him into whatever they want. Hero, anti hero, villain...background mook... all possible.

Here's a few pages from one of my favourite Fett anti-hero stories (Agent of Doom) where he takes a low paid bounty to avenge a wronged race and regain his name.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  17. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I was wondering if someone was going to try that. Let's look at why you did not post that quote in context.

His lone canon show of having a heart was solely because he didn't want to kill clones who were literally his brothers. Not wanting to kill your brothers does not make you a good person. On top of bringing an out of context quote, you bring non-canon material for support. Fett is not a blank slate no matter how you try to twist it. It is a pretty far stretch to believe that between having a lifelong hatred of Jedi and working as muscle for criminal Hutt Cartels who likely deal in spice, murder and slavery, that he was off being an honorable gent just trying to earn a decent living.

That is exactly part of the major retcon that will be needed to make Fett a likable person. I would totally be on board with this. I also like Fassbender.

starocean90 likes this.
  18. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Is that really a retcon, though?

TheBBP likes this.
  19. CGI-BOBAFENT

Feb 5, 2002
    TheBBP

I quoted that tongue firmly in cheek to show take anything out of context and spin it how you want :)

As for the Fassbender being Fett, that would be awesome (I once met him at pinewood a few years back...well I say met...it was more a startling as I unexpectadlely leapt out of a skip when trashing my set)

I'm more than happy for Boba Fett to be an honorary title but think if we're passing the mantle and armour to another guy I'd really like Tem to actually be involved so we get the actual Fett giving his blessing and taking him under his wing rather than Boba Fass just randomly finding the suit.

20. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

Retcon... Reboot. However you want to call it, they are changing the character. The more I consider that rumor, the more that I like it. That is how I would love to see Fett be brought back into the fold.

starocean90 likes this.
  21. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I love the idea as well.

starocean90 and TheBBP like this.
  22. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    I'm not sure. To ME, Boba Fett never died. Just had an unfortunate encounter with the Sarlacc, which, sadly, we did not get to witness.Just my opinion this is...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. CGI-BOBAFENT

Feb 5, 2002
    So many possibilities. Here's a few that spring to mind.

Post ROTJ
    Scenario 1: All witnesses to his death are dead minus the Rebels...somehow or other Fass discovers this and sees it as the perfect career opportunity, Take his ship, take his suit, take his name...instant reputation.

Scenario 2: Same as scenario 1 only Fett isn't actually dead and we get a repeat of Twin Engines of Destruction with the real Fett tracking him down...but unlike Twin Engines we get it all from the imposters point of view rather than Fetts. The real Fett is the villain of the piece. This one could then go two ways. The end of the movie after a confrontation, Fett lets him carry on and takes a cut becoming his agent/mentor/a voice in his helmet.....or.... Fass simply kills Fett, becomes ultimate badass and retains the title.

Scenario 3 An injured Fett takes on an up and coming bounty hunter as his protege.

Pre ANH
    Only way I can see it going down is if Fassbender kills the real Fett as I'm not sure a young Boba would be so willing to have someone else take his name....if it is indeed a pre ANH that crazy speculation about MVS being Fett in TFA aren't so farfetched afterall.

Trebor Sabreon and starocean90 like this.
  24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think post-ROTJ is the only way I can see it working. That way it could have Temuera Morrison passing on the “mantle”. I can’t see anything earlier, as it’s definitely the clone Fett in TESB and more than likely ROTJ.

25. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Even with passing the mantle, there will still need to be some retconning of who Fett was. A mantle comes with a reputation. Fett's will need to be fixed if they are going to make him into something hero-worthy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.