main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is Boba Fett really dead....?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Jan 2, 2014.

?

Did Boba Fett die in the belly of the Sarlaac?

1. No, Boba Fett escaped and should be part of the Sequel Trilogy

63 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. No, Boba Fett escaped and his post-Jedi adventures will be part of a Spin Off film

81 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. No, Boba Fett escaped but his post-Jedi stories should be left to the EU

27 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Yes, Boba Fett is Dead... Let it go

141 vote(s)
    38.6%
  5. No, Boba Fett is still being digested, as he will be for another thousand years or so

53 vote(s)
    14.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    this isn't the first rumor to state that Fett is dead and gets replaced.

TheBBP likes this.
  2. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

I have a feeling the dead Fett premise will be used, but like all the Legends tales which have used similar themes there's always a twist when it comes to Fett and death... it serves him well at times for people to think he's dead.

I can't help posting this panel as it's always been one of my favourites. If we get a moment like this I'll squeel with joy.

[​IMG]

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think this would be the biggest middle finger that Disney could present to fans. A Boba Fett movie without Boba Fett. Genius. Can't wait... ;)

4. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

How else do you propose that they retcon a villain who received the embarrassing death of a common henchman so that he is fit for his own movie?

5. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Set it before the events of ROTJ or have him climb out of the Sarlacc... but surely the answer isn't to create the premise that Boba Fett is just a suit? If so, it's possible to see where the franchise will go with Darth Vader. These things shouldn't be a continuation at any price. Try and establish/write new characters that can become as iconic as Boba Fett, rather than what seems to be the current trend of just re-imagining the same character every few years when they run out of ideas. The last Spiderman and Superman movies being good examples.

6. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I never bought the original rumor that Fett would be "somebody else." It just sounded too far-fetched and, given Kathleen Kennedy's public outpouring of support for Lucas, not the kind of thing Lucasfilm would actually do to George's character.

But after hearing George Lucas himself say that the story Lucasfilm are moving forward with for the ST isn't his? Well, I suppose that, just maybe, anything goes. [face_dunno]

Now that I'm willing to give the rumor some actual credence? The idea of turning Fett into a symbol? Something which can be passed down from generation to generation?

It's not the worst idea I've ever heard, but I agree with those who say that it would be nice to involve Temuera Morrison in some way, and having the original Fett survive the Sarlacc and then 'pass the armor along' to the next generation with his blessing might be the best way of smoothing things over with some thought of those who have come before.

I like that.

Oh, and Fassbender? Love it. If you're actually going to move forward with the idea, Michael would be perfect.

7. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Both Jeremy Bulloch and Jason Wingreen are alive. Go for it i say!

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    He'll be back

[​IMG]

9. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    That approach, if they went with it, woud be a cynical purely commercial one in my opinion. If they can't make the existing character work how he is (and it's hardly difficult to write around him not looking identical to Morrison or surviving the Sarlacc) then they should just draw a line under it and move onto other characters. But obviously they won't...

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, now, we don't know for sure yet, right? I don't believe they'll abandon Fett as an asset, either. But whether he'll be re-imagined is still only a rumor at this stage.

And though I may be open to new ideas, I'm with you in that I don't see any reason why Lucasfilm couldn't use the original Jango-cloned Boba if they wanted to, and still turn him into a great movie character. :)

DurararaFTW, starocean90 and Darth PJ like this.
  11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Well yes... my comments are in regards to the rumour rather than to what the reality will be. And I don't have an issue with a bit of re-imaging per se... but the idea that the solution is the write Boba Fett as a suit, as opposed to the person, seems like it would be using a sledgehammer to open an egg .

12. CGI-BOBAFENT

Feb 5, 2002
    No matter how little he did in the movies, Fett toys sell faster than the other characters and I'm sure Disney have noticed. From a business point of view they'll want to protect his future and one way of doing that is to have the suit as a mantle to pass. Fett is unique in that he's one of the only characters they could feasibly get away with doing this with.

If we look at the Marvel comics, Captain America has passed his title to Falcon and we've just got a new female Thor (not to mention how many people have worn the Iron Man armour over the years) this isn't anything new but it's been pushed as high profile news in the geek community and because their contracts are nearing an end I'm certain it's to butter us up for the eventual replacement of Evans, Hemsworth and Downey Jr on screen while retaining the recognisable brand names of their character.

13. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Hmmm... You know, when there has been some debate and rumors lately, about Disney not using Lucas ideas for the sequels, wanting Vader to be front and centre in the ST, the rumors about Kylo Ren ending up with Vader´s helmet, and now this. It all makes me think some people in charge of the franchise do not want simply to evolve it and give us the next chapter but more of the same we all know. They clearly seem to want more Vader, more Han Solo, more Boba Fett, more Millenium Falcon, more Death Stars.

I love Fassbender, and I´m not against a Boba Fett spin-off, but when I look at the wide picture, I am not sure what I want as a fan and what Iwas expecting when the announcement of more Star Wars came out is the same Disney wants.

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    If that really is the way they are going then that way lies madness.

Will it make oddles of money? Sure but their creativity factor will be about retreading GL's ideas.

Now I don't believe for one second based on everything that we think we know that GL's outlines are not the basis of the ST or at the very least for TFA.

Either way George's ideas be it the newer ones he handed over in the sale or from the unproduced episodes of TCW or the 50 odd scripts for Underworld or ideas from the early drafts of The Star Wars and concept art and the like are going to be mined in one way or another.

I don't mind the Boba Fett idea really. I'd think a Fett movie between III and IV could be done or one after VI and still with TM who is only 54 and likely in great shape but then it's not really about the Fett armor but the Fett character and canon-wise Fett looks like him and has his voice.

Now you could recast a younger Boba which would mean that at the least you'd need to get a Maori actor or one who could pass for Maori and maybe they just don't want that?

15. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    No interest in a "Fett is just a suit of armor" story.

17. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    See my "Open Letter to Disney" in the thread linked above. ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. CGI-BOBAFENT

Feb 5, 2002

But it's not a unique trait to Phantom anymore. We have Captain America, Miss Marvel, Spiderman, Thor, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, Antman, Green Goblin, The Scarecrow, Robin just to name a few famous ones not to mention small characters like Azrael, Firebrand, Black Orchid and Trickster. These have all at some point not been their original incarnations.

TheBBP likes this.
  19. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    How is Mandalore acceptable as a mantle, but Fett being one is blasphemy? That character needs a big retcon to be sold as a competent anti-hero. Making Fett a mantle is more than enough of a plausible way to make it happen. If they make a movie set before RotJ, we know him as a bad guy who will eventually meet an embarrassing and laughable fate. If they make the movie set after the OT, we know him as a bad guy who met an embarrassing and laughable fate. How do you sell that?

Fett needs to be a mantle.

fishtailsam likes this.
  20. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    I don't read comic books? So there is a whole lineage of different Batmen other than Bruce Wayne spanning multiple generations?

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Dick Grayson, Damian Wayne, Terry McGuinness, Tim Drake, some dude from Knightfall comics with Bane and others (probably) have been Batman at one point or another.

22. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Okay thanks for that. It wouldn't be the first time Batman and others have "borrowed" from the Phantom - Bob Kane did it right from the outset. (*cough*Jimmy Wells*cough*).

If other comics have reused this idea subsequent to Lee Falk, I guess that reduces the uniqueness of the Phantom's lineage to the fact that criminals think that it is still the same man and that he is immortal rather than a succession. Do the criminals in Batman (or the other examples you mentioned) think that they are fighting the same Batman or do they realise it is another bloke in the suit?

The other difference is that Dick Grayson is Bruce Wayne's ward, not his biological son. (I presume none of the others are a biological son either since they don't have the same surname.) In the Phantom, it is the eldest son who assumes the role, so it is more akin to a royal succession. I wonder if the Fett title would just go to whoever finds the suit lying around or if Jango/Boba just keeps on cloning himself to make more copies of himself to takeover from himself? [face_laugh]

23. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Pablo sez:

TheBBP likes this.
  24. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    It's not the prequels that destroyed Fett though. It is his comical demise in RotJ.

25. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

Lucas already told Rinzler that Fett survived. The only reason he went into the pit is because Lucas was frustrated with his divorce and didn't want to deal with the character at the time so he killed him off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.