main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Is Carrie ready to come back?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    curious username for someone so anti fat

2. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    She should play Leia, but like Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now. Or we just kill Carrie, using some of the derelict logic on this board. She's clearly fat and worthless and a psychological disaster so why bother let to get her live/carry on? How dare she not stay in that bikini shape body for the last 30 years.

Ugh.

Darth Chiznuk and Krueger like this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    You rang?

[​IMG]

Carrie will do fine!

4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    "Look he's heading for that small moon"
    "That's no moon...it's Princess Leia"

Apologies, couldn't help myself

Krueger likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's just awful.

J_Girl likes this.
  6. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Well that is not good news. Disney must be concerned - they just bought a 4 billion dollar franchise and are counting on her contribution to get it kick started. I wonder if the pressure and expectations got to her. It has been a long time since she or Hamill have had this kind of spotlight on them. Ford is used to it, but the other two have been out of it for decades.

I've had a lot of close exposure to bipolar folks, and the idea of scheduling the production of the most anticipated motion picture in a long time around one would make me rather nervous.

Darth Claire likes this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    ShaneP likes this.
  8. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    That is what we are talking about, story has already been posted in this thread.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  9. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Whoops. I missed that. Sorry for the redundancy. Mods, please delete if appropriate.

stormcloud8 likes this.
  10. HK-FittyCent

HK-FittyCent Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2013
    FatSmel you still haven't addressed WHY you want Carrie to lose weight for the role. Is this an aesthetic issue? Because if you were Carrie, suffering from a serious mental illness, possibly too depressed to exercise and/or on meds that constantly made you gain weight regardless, would you now expect fans to count you out as a contender for the role you popularized, regardless of your relative age now? Is it a fair or viable assumption, given the current circumstances, for Carrie to lose weight just to satisfy your patently unfair and even absurdly limited (and indeed, limiting, both for Carrie and the fans alike) requirements for her performance? And how do your reconcile your stated stance that 'well Han's fine, and I'm not too sure about Luke, but dude should be fine as old Luke" and yet there's this double standard that Carrie is the only one, as a 56-year old woman, to have to slim down to meet your standards. I don't think it's fair, for a woman or anyone really, to be expected to look 20 at 56. You have the Demi Moores of the world for that, and they're probably unhappy in the attempt in any case. Ford looked like an old coot in Indy 4, but it didn't stop us all from going to see it, and you said you liked it. If Carrie had been asked to carry (no pun intended) a film by herself, if she couldn't fit into a golden bikini would you refuse to watch it? Because as far as I'm concerned, she was a beautiful woman in the original films, but her essential worth, then and now, lies in her humor, intelligence, and capacity to keep fighting the despair her illness would provoke in anyone.

Padme501st and J_Girl like this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I refuse to give up on Carrie that easily..She has been a fighter all of her life. For those of you who dont know someone who has had mental issues, please have a little bit of compassion.

J_Girl and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  12. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    :( Oh, no! Poor Carrie! Hope she'll be OK...

As to whether she'll come back...I don't know. It would be nice to see her as a sarcastic, feisty Leia, but honestly it's just not very realistic. I don't think she'll be coming back to reprise her role. I just don't. [face_dunno]

13. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I think she will be back, but I suspect Arndt is being given very specific guidance to make her role small and manageable. Nothing critical to the plot if any worst case scenarios pop up and they have to cut her.

Darth Claire likes this.
  14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    My suggestion?

Don't write down everything that occurs to you.

15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Carrie rocks - I've said it before and I stand by that. She had a set back (oh noes! She's human! Can't forgive that!) So sad she had to cancel an appearance here in Seattle :( but her health comes first. She proved to us 35 years ago (oh god, I feel old now!) that you don't have to swing a lightsaber to be tough... continued good wishes coming her way.

16. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I hope Carrie returns (healthy and all) but I won't be too upset if she doesn't. At least she has a legit reason to not want to return.

17. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I think the stress of the new movies is unsettling to her. She should be okay. Fat Smel, maybe you stick to Mara threads where 50 yo's supoosedly look like sex kittens. I guess too much video game playing makes some guys think there's really a girl out there like that.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

Yep I know exactly what ignorant means and your post qualifies in spades. To say an actor can't give a great preformance because of weight is ignorant.

Bazinga'd , Krueger, J_Girl and 3 others like this.
  19. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Really rooting for her. Hopefully the people in charge aren't cruel enough to cut her out because of some health issues.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Further the defense of "honesty" is not an excuse for ignorance or insensitivity.

21. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Its sad to see and hear of Carrie like this.

I hope she can pull together and be part of the ST.

If not - well, she will then be written out as it should be.

22. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Its a real shame Carrie has been plagued by her bouts with drugs, alcohol and now mental illness.

Other actresses of her era have aged better than her because they didn't abuse their bodies which then abuses the brain.

Michelle Pfeiffer, for instance, is 54 (compared to Fisher's 56) and she has aged very well:
    [​IMG]

23. HK-FittyCent

HK-FittyCent Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2013
    I was going to address the whole issue of claims of ignorance in my earlier post, but chose to leave it in the capable robo-arms of Sith Lord Chiznuk. That being said, I too have to question at what point an opinion can be defended as valid expression. Essentially freedom of speech, especially in regards to free expression of a personal opinion, no matter how many people consider it to be objectionable, should always be considered valid. Still, once it enters into the realm of an at least implied personal attack, I think, at least in this context, we the fans should come to her defence, and the original comments were and are quite unfair to Carrie, who was the original portrayer of Princess Leia and would be a vital part of any cast re-assemblage for the coming trilogy - I would hope that the brass behind the films don't cut her out for that reason alone, and also as a statement regarding casting someone who has been visibly combating mental illness.

24. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    It's really the other way around, in Carrie's case. The substance abuse was most likely a result to self medicate. Bi-polar disorder typically appears in a person's early twenties, with the average onset age being 21. That's about how old Carrie was when filming the OT.

I can tell you that my stepmother spent decades self-medicating with alcohol before getting diagnosed. Difficult, to say the least.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope she's alright. She looks good for her age too. I just love it when people bash celebrities for getting old.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.