Speculation Is Carrie ready to come back?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by rezpen, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    Yeah, and it had nothing to do with the script.

But I do hope she is well. She's struggled with issues for years now. Anyone see Postcards from the Edge? Not much fiction.
    Last edited by ShaneP, Feb 27, 2013
  2. Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    First of all, I want to echo the sentiment that Carrie rocks.

I saw the story that she had been hospitalized. I'm not even remotely qualified to comment on bipolar illness, but I do wonder if stress could be playing a part. Perhaps the prospect of being Leia again is stressing her out.

I am qualified to talk about being overweight because I used to be quite overweight myself. It's very tough emotionally to be that heavy because everywhere you go, you feel like people are judging you. Whether or not they really are almost doesn't matter, because you're always thinking and wondering if they are. It's harder on women because women are judged more on the basis of their appearance. And it must be hardest of all on women who are in the public eye. There's always going to be nitwits who will say cruel things about people who don't look perfect, and all the social media we have now gives the nitwits a platform so their cruel remarks can be heard all over the world.

The last time Carrie played Leia, she was at the peak of her physical beauty. Not to mention the fact that the iconic image of Leia is wearing that metal bikini. Stepping into Leia's boot's again, with the inevitable nitwit comments that are bound to be made, must be a very daunting prospect for her.

And yes, I would like to see Carrie lose more weight. Not because I don't think she is beautiful now -- she is -- but for her health. That's the reason I finally lost weight, not because I wanted to look better, but to be healthier.

She is an awesome lady, beloved by millions of fans all over the world because she has accomplished so much more with her life than just being a pretty girl in a metal bikini. I hope she knows that.
  3. Darth_Downunder Chosen One

star 5
    FatSmell could've used more tact & chosen his words better but he may have a point on some level. As politically incorrect as it is to say, it's not unreasonable to not cast someone if his or her physical condition including weight is not in line with how the creators see that character. This happens all the time. When was an overweight actor cast as a Marvel or DC superhero? When those overweight actors turn up to audition & don't get the roles are they being unfairly discriminated against? I don't think so. Weight can be an important physical characteristic, height is another one. Maybe the new Star Wars creators think it would be wrong in the context of the SW universe for the character of Leia to have become quite overweight. If so is there anything wrong with that?

As for Carrie's other issues, it might do her more harm than good to expose her to the pressure of working on these movies.
  4. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    I was a huge fan of CF as Leia back in the days of the OT. She was a very strong female character who could hold her own with the guys; Very strong-willed, kicked a$$ and took names, and didn't make any apologies. Liked the control she took in ANH after she was rescued from the detention center, and she has one of the best lines in the film, "Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?" Also, she was the only one who saw through the Imperials' half-hearted attempt to destroy the Falcon after it escaped the Death Star, i.e. "They let us go. It's the only thing that explains the ease of our escape. They're tracking us". In ESB she was the one who spear-headed the attempted rescue of Han from Boba Fett on Cloud City. In ROTJ she disguised herself as a bad-a$$ bounty hunter who was willing to take herself & others out if Jabba didn't do as she asked, and later she single-handedly took out Jabba the Hutt! And, like other kids at the time, I did have a bit of a crush on her :D I'm currently re-watching the OT on Blu-ray, and it just makes me appreciate her character all the more.

That all being said, I have seen CF in some films since ROTJ, and in some of these she seems to almost be an intentional parody of her Princess Leia character. I laughed at her roles as:

- The very un-nun like nun in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" (2001)
    - The clueless nurse in "Fanboys" (2009) who was unfamiliar with Star Wars
    - The den-mother of the sorority house in that B-grade horror flick "Sorority Row" (2009)

So, irrespective of her current appearance, if CF were in the ST, when seeing her I would think of these later roles & laugh out loud. In fact, I would be afraid to see the films in the theatre due to this :)
    Last edited by Blur, Feb 28, 2013
  5. DV75 Force Ghost

star 3
    Oh, I see. Good to know as I am not too familiar with the causes of bi-polar disorder.

Hope Carrie is well.
  6. HK-FittyCent Jedi Padawan

Yes but if Harrison returned as senile incontinent Indy Jones in The Continuing Misadventures of Elderly Indy - Outside the Retirement Home, would we be more likely to **** on his figurative parade than Carrie as Chunk-Leia in Bikini, circa 2014?

I still think based on gender alone there's a huge inconsistency. Not to speak of the likely claims of racism in that inevitable Star Wars-themed Django reboot, Billy Dee escapes the Kessel Spice Mines - and the sequel, Nien Nunb Still Doesn't Give Us Miners Proper Health Care.
  7. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Any word on if she's doing better in the hospital?
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
  9. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Good. That's very good news.
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  10. KudosDas Jedi Master

star 2
    Glad to hear Carrie's doing better!

As for whether or not she's capable of doing the role, I believe it really comes down to whether or not Carrie believes she can do it mentally. Only Carrie knows where Carrie is really at, and what reprising the role of Leia might do to her in regards to the pressure and stress of having a major role in another Star Wars movie/trilogy. If she is able to do the role without compromising her health she will at least be in Ep. VII, no question.

In regards to her physical condition, particularly her weight, the Big 3 are all actors with many, many years of experience in the industry and know that physical appearance can be just as important as acting ability (if not more so sometimes). They will be in as much shape as possible given their individual health, the amount of time between now and the actual filming, and the requirement of the roles their characters will be expected to play. If Mark, Carrie, and Harrison return they'll do what they're able to, helped out, perchance, by CGI, movie industry magic, and a plethora of industry dietitians, personal trainers, etc.
  11. wookiedookie Jedi Youngling

It could work for the character, I mean who wouldn't go a little bit loopy living with Han's sarcasm & one-liners and Chewie probably moved in with the pair as a lodger too so imagine all the hairy females he would be bringing back to the house after a drunken night at the club that Leia would have to make awkward breakfast conversation with in the morning..
    HK-FittyCent likes this.
  12. Ridley Solo Force Ghost

star 4
    Glad to hear she's out of the hospital. [face_relieved]
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. DV75 Force Ghost

star 3
    Good to hear Carrie is doing better.
    J_Girl and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  14. FatSmel Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    lol i didn't say that though did i derp
  15. FatSmel Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    lol i didn't say that though did i derp

Another person who doesn't know what ignorance means?

tip: watch less tv & moveis and maybe read a book once in a while ;)

are you intrigued?
    Anyway i'm not "anti-fat". If someone makes the choice to abuse their bodies, be unattractive and significantly shorten their lifespan that's up to them.

All i said was that i would be disappointed if Leia was fat. It doesn't fit her character. Is there anything wrong with that?

It simply doesn't fit Leia's character for her to become Obese. Any issues related to feminism or whether or not its "fair" is completely irrelevent.
    Life's not fair, get over it.
    Last edited by FatSmel, Feb 28, 2013
  16. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Alright, enough. Locking.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.