main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Cheap Widescreen Necessary?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Leigh_Jesani, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leigh_Jesani

Leigh_Jesani Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    So I'm editing the footage for Luminara's Saber, and as I import it from the camcorder (analog), I see that the bottom of the film is distorted, as you'd see if you were watching a movie with the tracking slighty off. I tried stopping the camcorder, removing the tape, blowing in it, and putting it back in, but to no avail. So it looks like I'll have to have the distortion in the film--next question--how can I make it "widescreen" by cropping the edges in Premiere? I have only photoshop, premiere, and Pinnacle Studio 7. (No more cash for AE or Ulead...) What should I do?

2. webwiz03

webwiz03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    Since you have Photoshop, the easiest way would be to make a new image with a transparent background that has the same dimensions as your movie (720x480 if you're in the good ol' USA). Then just fill a layer with black, and cut out as much of the center portion as you want/need, so that the transparent background is showing. Then just pop that bad boy into Premiere above your video track(s). Maybe someone will be nice enough to post the exact dimensions for the different aspect ratios (2.35:1, for example).

Regards,
    Kai

3. Ben-Kenobi85

Ben-Kenobi85 Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2002
    The aspect ratio 2.35:1 translates to 720x306 and for 1.85:1 it is 720x405. Your best bet would be to use 720x405, since it is just the bottom of the screen that is distorted, if you use 2.35:1 it will most likley be noticed that you croped it.

4. Zayn

Zayn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 1999
    just because you add bars doesn't make it cheep- Air Force One was actully shot full screen and bars where added in post...

just fyi...

5. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    If it's destined for a TV you shouldn't need to wory about it. TVs lose about 5% of the picture on an edge.
    -Lokmer

6. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999

yeah i was just going to say that is out of your action safe area. you'd only see it on your computer.

Good to see you postin Zayn! :D

7. John_FC

John_FC Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 10, 2000
    >just because you add bars doesn't make it
    >cheep- Air Force One was actully shot full screen
    >and bars where added in post...

Of course one coulld argue that Air Force One WAS "cheap" in one sense of the word - but then I'm an Ausi, so i don't buy all that patriotic rubbish :)

john

8. Darth_Gehenna

Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Most if not all of James Cameron's films are shot that way. And because of the DV aspect ratio, make your bars either 720x272 (2.35:1), 720x346 (1.85:1), or 720x360 (1.77:1 or 16:9).

9. Leigh_Jesani

Jun 27, 2002
    The thing is, it's only during about a minute or two of necessary footage. The rest of the film looks fine. However, it hasn't been rotoscoped yet, so I'm wondering how that would look with a rotoscoped lightsaber in it. (Everything would be fuzzy and distorted except for the saber, which would be unhindered since it would be layered on top.)

I didn't know Air Force One was done like that. Cool.

I hate to crop anything...because the top is perfect, and the film wasn't designed to be widescreen, so I'm wondering what I might accidently chop off. Maybe I should just let it be? But that distortion is going to make some of the fans who are seriously in to film making cringe.

10. Darth_Gehenna

Jun 2, 2001
    Why not reshoot it then?

11. borjis fett

Sep 25, 1999

I knew we could count on you DG! :D

that technique is called super .....something ;)

12. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    If you had Media Cleaner Pro or knew someone with access to it, you could recompress and draw in a custom crop area just inside the distortion. We do this all the time for footage that was aired on TV and needs to be trimmed up for internet delivery. If TV is your destination medium, then you shouldn't need to worry about it.

13. Leigh_Jesani

Jun 27, 2002
    I can't reshoot it...the location is 700 miles away. :)

I'll keep that in mind...I'll probably either end up just keeping it, or croping just that scene. People will notice the difference, but oh well.

14. John_FC

John_FC Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 10, 2000
    have you got any other footage you could composite the bottom off onto the real footage, i.e. another take of the same camera angle you can cut and paste over the top?

John

(did that make any sense at all???)

15. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    Leigh-

after thinking on this some more, you could just zoom in on the clip at a factor of 103 percent, or something very small. this should push the distortion out of frame and not really affect the overall picture quality. this can be done right in premiere with the video motion effect. just center the footage and freeze the motion by applying a 100 percent hold, then apply a 103 percent zoom on the starting frame and that should do it.

16. Wolfgang_Treadwell

Wolfgang_Treadwell Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2001
    You could also move the image down a few lines. The black area along the top that would create would still be outside the safe area, and it would further push the offending information off the bottom.

"Fake" letterboxing is done all the time and is not without merit; however, doing that for just this one shot would be jarring.

17. spottcat211

spottcat211 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2002
    Unless it is like the first shot of your movie.. You know in the first shot of Indiana Jones (on VHS) is widescreen and then the rest aren't. They just use an all black window to do the transition (ex. zooming in on indies hat) you might want to try it, it produces a really neat effect...

18. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Be creative. Do what you want. I don't think there are any rules, just as long as it doesn't look jarring.

19. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Why don't you just use Premiere to REALLY crop??? Just go to special processing when you export your movie...

Cya
    Mike

20. borjis fett

Sep 25, 1999

the "clip" effect works well too.

All you do is apply it to the video in your timeline and it will be there on export.

21. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually, a good number of special effects-laden films are often filmed full-frame on the film and then just cropped/matted to the desired aspect ratio. Gives more room to play.

M. Scott

22. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    I could be wrong, but when I saw a behind the scenes, american pie 2, it looked like they were watching it full screen in the monitor but there were green lines showing what would show up in widescreen and what would show up in green screen... it was pretty cool.

Does this mean it was filmed in full screen, but filmed FOR widescreen?

Maybe this is how cameron does it???

Cya
    Mike

23. Leigh_Jesani

Jun 27, 2002
    I like Unclepain's method the best. Since my film will not be produced at full resolution, I believe this solution could work quite well. Only, I am unsure of how to do it. Can I do this in Premiere? And if so, how?

24. Darth_Gehenna

Jun 2, 2001
    You can zoom it in using motion, just set the start and end points to be the same. Zooming works quite well, even at full resolution.

25. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Does this mean it was filmed in full screen, but filmed FOR widescreen?

EDIT: I lied.

With the exception of Episode II, you couldn't actually watch what was being filmed. What was on those screens was a video feed connected to the film camera. Video captures at the full frame; the little lines/box in widescreen help to position the camera to capture what you want on the actual film itself. You were never sure until you developed dailies the next day, though.

But generally it is true, that film is done "fullscreen" and cropped for widescreen.

I know that, for Terminator 2 at least, Cameron filmed the full film frame, cropping the frame for anamorphic 2.35 AND using the same master full-frame for the pan and scan version of the film -- so occasionally the pan & scan will acutally show more image from the scene (above and below) than was actually presented on widescreen.

All this meant was you'd see Sarah's elbow in a Pan & Scan shot that you didn't see in the theatrical release, or something relatively meaningless like that, but it was an interesting opposition to the usual process of cropping the 4:3 box from the already-cropped 2.35 window, instead using the first-generation footage.

M. Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.