main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Chewbacca dead?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthGelatinous, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    See, that's not what happened. Quit blaming the author. Without knowledge of the situation, you had (and probably still have) hate towards R.A. Salvatore, when the hate should be directed at George Lucas, for being one of the main people behind the idea

I never heard anybody state that they hated Salvatore for killing off Chewbacca. And why should anybody hate GL about Chewbacca's death? He had to die at some point.

2. Dark_Rogue

Dark_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 1, 2003
    I never heard anybody state that they hated Salvatore for killing off Chewbacca. And why should anybody hate GL about Chewbacca's death? He had to die at some point

Actually he used to post on the boards but got so many threats and hate mail via PM here that he will never come back again

edit: in case anyone is wondering where i get this info, I got to spend an hour chatting with him at the Library of Congress last year right before AOTC came out

I don't see how you can consider his writeing bad. I think it is some of the best in the EU

3. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    Actually he used to post on the boards but got so many threats and hate mail via PM here that he will never come back again

omg.. thats horrible.. i feel bad for him :(

4. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Chewbacca isnt dead, but he could well be after Episode III.

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    How so, yodaschum?

6. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I hope the people who PMed Salvatore with those threats were banned for life.

7. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    ST-TPM-ASF-TNE: EU normally doesn't count as canon

Yeah, actually it does, unless it's Infinities or Tales. ;) :)

Skywalker_1138: I still hate the NJO's attempt at "realism"

What, one of the main characters actually..*gasp*..dying is not "realism" to you? ?[face_plain]

Blast: Well Im glad that one of my favorite characters was taken out by a moon,not some blind guy

[face_laugh] True...very true... :p

AdamBertocci: I didn't know that. I mean, I always figured he'd say "no" if someone asked to do it, but I didn't know it was a standing rule.

It's not a "standing rule". I mean, one of these days they're going to have to die. But when asked, he forbid it. ;)

yodaschum: Chewbacca isnt dead, but he could well be after Episode III.

Please elaborate. :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    REALLY?

I didn't know that. I mean, I always figured he'd say "no" if someone asked to do it, but I didn't know it was a standing rule.

He said no to the plot to kill Luke right away, and gave a statement saying not to kill any of those three. I don't have an exact quote about it though.

I never heard anybody state that they hated Salvatore for killing off Chewbacca. And why should anybody hate GL about Chewbacca's death? He had to die at some point.

Well, like Dark_Rogue said, he used to post here but left because of all the threats. And I said they should hate GL because, if they hate Salvatore for just being the writer, then they should hate GL just as much for authorizing it. In which case not only should they boycott the EU, they should boycott Episode III and discontinue being Star Wars fans. If they can't deal with the fact that Chewie died, that's their problem.

in case anyone is wondering where i get this info, I got to spend an hour chatting with him at the Library of Congress last year right before AOTC came out

That is awesome. :D

omg.. thats horrible.. i feel bad for him

So do I. :(

I hope the people who PMed Salvatore with those threats were banned for life.

So do I. He was just doing his writing, and Chewie had to die someday. He's not immortal. He was already about 230 when he died.

And if anyone is wondering as to why they chose Chewie, read this quote:

The plan to kill off some major characters came from the feeling of stagnation that seemed to hang over the previous books. Nothing significant ever changed in them. Character development was stuck in a rut. No one seemed to know what to do with Han anymore, now that he wasn't a smuggler or military guy; Luke was impossible to deal with, since he'd become so omnipotent; Leia was getting too soft with all her constant dimplomacy."

All of that was true. They were running out of things to do. Leia, as it says, was pretty much always on diplomacy missions, which is very boring to read. It got boring reading about Luke and the Jedi, because they all got along pretty well and there wasn't many dark threats for them to deal with. Han was just downright boring too, and Chewie was even more boring to read.

With the Yuuzhan Vong and the death of Chewie, we got to see some action. The Jedi were split in two, one side wanting immediate action and the other wanting to take the peaceful path; to not become warriors.

Han changed a bunch. He didn't feel up to his normal self and was angry and sad all the time, and wanted some major revenge on the Yuuzhan Vong. Leia actually had something to do.

Another thing to show the vulnerability was to have Mara have an unrecognized sickness, where there seemed to be no cure.

Read this excerpt from the epilogue of Vector Prime:

"What aer we going to tell Chewie's family?" Han asked.

"The truth," Leia said. "That he died a hero."

"I never though --" Han began quietly, his voice breaking apart.

Leia looked at him gently, allowed him the moment to compose himself.

"I had built this bubble around us," Han tried to explain. "Around all of us -- you, me Chewie, the kids, Luke, Mara, even Lando. Heck, even the stupid droids. We were all in, you know? In it and safe, a cozy family."

"Invulnerable?" the ever preceptive Leia asked.

Han nodded. "Nothing could hurt us -- could really hurt us," he went on, and then his voice broke up and he just shook his head and blinked away the tears -- and when that didn't work, he wiped them away -- and stared out at wobbling Sernpidal. He knew that Leia understood, that he didn't have to say more. And even though it made no sense, she didn't disagree. This shouldhave, logically, happened a long, long time ago, after all. And if not to Chewie, then certainly to one of the others, Han, perhaps, most of all. They had been living on the very edge of disaster for so very long, fighting battles, literal

9. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Yes, the NJO is more of a "passing of the torch", if you will. The character focus has already begun shifting from Luke, Han, and Leia to the Solo kids and the new generation of the galaxy.

With Chewbacca's death, everything was thrown out of order. Coupled with the fact that this alien race has a technology unseen before, as well as a religion and ruthless attitude that compels them to destroy whole planets and sacrifice entire populations, you can easily see how this event totally changed the future for the characters, and even gave way to a new way of writing Star Wars literature.

So really Chewbacca's death not only signified a change in the Star Wars Universe, but also provided a new function to the Star Wars EU. ;) :)

10. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Sorry, but the only thing that I will ever consider 'cannon' are the movies and their books. I have always looked at SW as the child of GL, everything else is just someone elses idea if "what if?"

If I were smart or lucky enough to write a SW related book, it's not cannon. I know some stuff from the EU has trickled into the current movies but I only consider that little treats GL has planted to keep ALL the fans happy, which, from reading these boards, seems to be a completely impossible thing to do.

I'm not knocking anything outside of the movies but arguing over some of it seems rather pointless. If something takes place in one of the movies and it happens to contadict EU materal, people actually get upset over it here on the boards, foolish. And the fact that people would actually threaten an EU writer because of something he wrote, that's just childish!

I obviously don't read EU but sometimes I think the reason why alot of folks are dissappointed with the current movies is because the EU had them expecting something else.

That's MHO.

EDIT, had to add something.

11. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    No, the books aren't cannon.

They are, however, canon.

[face_laugh]

12. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    SITHlover... Sorry, but the only thing that I will ever consider 'cannon' are the movies and their books. I have always looked at SW as the child of GL, everything else is just someone elses idea if "what if?"

The books are certainly not "cannon," but they are, however, "canon."

SITHlover... If I were smart or lucky enough to write a SW related book, it's not cannon. I know some stuff from the EU has trickled into the current movies but I only consider that little treats GL has planted to keep ALL the fans happy, which, from reading these boards, seems to be a completely impossible thing to do.

Once again, they are not "cannon," but they are "canon." I do agree on the statement that it's impossible to keep all fans happy. Not everyone is going to love every little detail. That's what makes us different as fans -- we can disagree on something and usually have a good time discussing it anyway.

SITHlover... I'm not knocking anything outside of the movies but arguing over some of it seems rather pointless. If something takes place in one of the movies and it happens to contadict EU materal, people actually get upset over it here on the boards, foolish. And the fact that people would actually threaten an EU writer because of something he wrote, that's just childish!

I think everyone is entitled to their educated opinions. What makes me mad it people only know the fact that Chewie died, as an example. They don't know why it had to happen and what was going on in the book when it happened. Many people in this thread just now seem to have found out he was crushed by a moon that had fell out of orbit. They need to know these things before they start making opinions about something.

SITHlover... I obviously don't read EU but sometimes I think the reason why alot of folks are dissappointed with the current movies is because the EU had them expecting something else.

I'm a big fan of the EU. But I don't look at it as a basis for what I expect in the movie. Most of the EU isn't directly related the movies anyway. Sure, there's a few things from the EU people want to see, but it's not about what they want. It's about what George Lucas wants. And if you really sit down and think about it, most of the stuff from the EU wouldn't fit in the movie. There'd be no reason for it.

EDIT: [face_laugh] Guinastasia beat me to the canon not cannon joke. :p

13. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Instead of not reading anything Salvatore writes, maybe you just shouldn't see Episode III. George Lucas was the one who chose Chewie to die, not Salvatore.

Ack, no no no no, you got me all wrong. I was just trying to make a joke on that line. :( Oooh, that backfired badly, didn't it? :(

Chewie's death had nothing to do with whether or not I'd buy his books. The fact that I find him an appauling writer who wouldn't recognize decent writing if it came up behind him and bit him, however, does, and THAT is the reason I won't buy his books.

I don't understand why there's a big push for another canon war. 0_o Sheesh, why does it matter so much? I mean seriously, what will it accomplish? You're arguing about whether things in a fictional universe are made up or not.

(And who the bloody hell would give Mr. Salvadore a death threat over a fictional character? That really crosses a line, and I have to question the sanity of those people who sent him death threat messages. Poor R.A. Salvadore.)

14. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Ack, no no no no, you got me all wrong. I was just trying to make a joke on that line.
    Oooh, that backfired badly, didn't it?

Oops, sorry about that. [face_blush]

Chewie's death had nothing to do with whether or not I'd buy his books. The fact that I find him an appauling writer who wouldn't recognize decent writing if it came up behind him and bit him, however, does, and THAT is the reason I won't buy his books.

I don't see anything wrong with his writing, but to each his (or her) own, I guess. :)

I don't understand why there's a big push for another canon war. 0_o Sheesh, why does it matter so much? I mean seriously, what will it accomplish? You're arguing about whether things in a fictional universe are made up or not.

That's not what I'm intending. People these days are selfish and want every storyline to go exactly like they want it to and if it doesn't they get all upset and throw a fit about it.

(And who the bloody hell would give Mr. Salvadore a death threat over a fictional character? That really crosses a line, and I have to question the sanity of those people who sent him death threat messages. Poor R.A. Salvadore.)

I agree. These people take things way too seriously. Like I said, they feel that their opinion of what they WANT to happen is the only one that matters, and if it doesn't go their way, they get mad.

People really need to lighten up about the fact that he's dead. If they don't like it, they don't have to come on here and throw a fit about it and threaten the author.

I don't particularly like the fact that he died, but yet I'm not complaining about it, because I know the circumstances of how he died in the book, and the reasons for why he was chosen to die outside of the book.

15. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    I don't mind Salvatore as a writer, but his grasp of the Force left something to be desired. Still, he done a good job with the AOTC novel.

And it wasn't just Salvatore and Lucas who killed Chewie; a load of authors sat around and discussed who should die. Seeing as Lucas forebade them access to kill 'The Big Three' they picked Chewie.

Perhaps his apperance in Ep3 is Lucas's way of saying sorry ;)

16. SITHlover

Nov 30, 2002
    Wait, I think I can do it.........
    c......a......n......o.......n!!!

Sorry, I can be a horrible speller at times. Once again I have to say that I am not knocking any EU fan, actually I think it is great that you can enjoy another aspect of SW that I just can't take to. Perhaps I will stay out of EU threads, most of the references go over my head and my dislike for the idea of it can be strong at times.

17. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, the stuff relating to the books and movies is spelled a little different than the weapon. ;) Don't worry about it, it happens all the time.

18. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    SITHlover: That's fine that you don't see the EU as canon in your own perspective, as Star Wars is something that each fan has to view for his/herself based on their point of view. It happens even within the EU- some don't consider the Glove of Darth Vader canon, some of the stories in Star Wars Tales (which aren't actually canon) that don't contradict anything else are considered canon by some, etc. All in all it's a matter of your opinion, of which you can express freely.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I don't want you to think we EU folks are trying to shove anything down anyone's throat (although some people can get a bit eccentric at times :p ). Rather, we just try to make sure the EU we enjoy is not defamed in any way, as many people decide to do in this situation, as they refuse to believe that Chewbacca, and main character within the films, died, as it kind of ruins the effect that Star Wars is a place where one can escape the real world (which is why many fans watch the saga in the first place).

So I respect your opinion on the matter, as well as I hope you do mine, which is in agreement to the official statement by LFL, in which describes that the official literature and Expanded Universe is considered official canon and regarded in continuity with the films. ;) :)

19. SITHlover

Nov 30, 2002
    I do respect your opinion and no, I don't think you are trying to force EU down people's throats. I find EU discussions all over these boards and that is the purpose for them. I don't mean to be negative towards the EU, there's too much of that on these boards now as it is. I choose not to read it but I do accept it is there and enjoyed by MANY people. No disrespect intended and none taken :)

My opinion on EU is a personal one and I do realize I shouldn't comment on it too much because I know nothing about it.

20. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Well, peace has been declared!! Let us all remember Chewie for who he was! A very tall, hairy guy who couldnt speak english! :D

21. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    SITHlover: Good. :)

If just everyone could solve their problems like this, there'd be no need to defend the EU. ;) :)

22. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    recent discoveries made in the area of quantom physics have revealed that each and every choice that we make acts on a larger scale like a photon, and every single possible path plays out in a nano second with all but one path cancelling out. however seperate bubble universes sprout into existence, each with each choice that may have been cancelled out in one reality actualy becoming the choice that was not cancelled. hence the multiverse of parallel universes exists. so based on what i said chewbacca is dead. and chewbacca is also not dead. and chewbacca also was never born. so choose whichever possibility is to your liking. ;)

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    That's not a discovery, it's science fiction/fantasy. But then again, Star Wars itself is... ;) So the bottom line is, believe what you want.

24. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Yes, believe what you want. :)

However, don't even get started on the idea that the EU is a parallel universe... [face_mischief] ;)

25. Darkness_Himself

Darkness_Himself Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    Ok, all i saw was someone saying that EU isn't canon.
    GOD DAMN IT PEOPLE!! EU IS CANON!! WHAT DOES SOMEONE HAVE TO DO TO MAKE YOU 'EU IS NOT CANON' PEOPLE UNDERSTAND EU IS CANON?!?
    Sheesh.

NOTE-------
    Apologies to all normal people who consider EU canon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.