main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Chewbacca dead?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthGelatinous, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Sweet mother of pearls! :eek:

Judas priest man, did you not see that this argument was agreed upon in a civilized manner, like most arguments should be? Did you not read the posts by SITHlover and I about how canon can be viewed in different lights, and even though the official LFL statement assures that the EU is in fact canon and within Star Wars continuity that it's ultimately up to the fans?

*sighs*

Take a chill pill, dude. And next time, try to be a littler nicer, and read all of the posts before you make your assumption. ;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    We get it all solved and he has to bring up the old hostilities...

3. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    That's not a discovery, it's science fiction/fantasy.

dark lady- i wrote what i wrote kidding around, but the truth is that it really is a current theory, not sci fi/fantasy. read "elegent universe" by david green or "universe in a nutshell" by stephen hawking. both of them touch on what i said and neither find it far fetched. you'd be suprised, the theory of multiverse's is actually a very current belief in the physics community right now.

However, don't even get started on the idea that the EU is a parallel universe...

when did i ever even bring eu or non eu into my statement? that's not what i'm saying at all. i'm saying to whoever feels like reading it to believe what they want. in a fictional universe like SW anything is possible.

4. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Salavatore did not kill Chewbacca,George Lucas killed Chewbacca, Salavatore only got to chose how Chewie was going to die and decided to make him die a hero, and rumor has it Chewie will appear briefly in Episode III so he may be dead buts hes not forgotten.

Im suprised that nobody has mentioned the Comic "Chewbacca" which is set in the NJO Era and has Threepio giving interviews with Lando,Wedge,Han,Luke,Leia,Mallatobuck(Chewbacca's wife) and some Midget Woman about their fond memories of Chewie and many of the heroic things that he did.

5. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    It's not a rumour; it's official.

Actually, it wasn't really Lucas who killed him. He told the NJO creators who they couldn't kill, so they decided to kill Chewie and Lucas approved it.

6. DarthSrnec

DarthSrnec Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    Only real problem I have with the premise of killing off a major character to show that it's still "unpredictable", "exciting", and a few other thing which sound good is that they picked the most minor of the four major characters remaining. It seems so wishy-washy. Killing one of the other characters would have been a truly bold move. But as has been pointed out, they are truly invincible: Lucas has stated that they cannot (yet) be killed.

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, but then fans would have gotten even madder about the whole situation anyway.

8. Dark_Rogue

Dark_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 1, 2003
    My final words on this matter are this. Bob said in the interview for ever Chewie fan that greived over his death, remember that it took a moon to kill that Might Chewbaca

and Darkness_Himself, that was uncalled for, it's doing things like that, that start wars in here

9. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    DarthSrnec has a point. How's it supposed to be unpredictable if the main 3 can't be killed?

10. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Chewbacca died when a moon fell on his head? Gee, maybe Count Dooku can die by slipping on a bar of soap and breaking his old bones? I didn't see him die in the movies, and that is all I care about. Not interested in some of the awful stories Expanded Universe Authors bring out.

11. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Jedi Learner, perhaps it would be better for you to read the books rather than simply name them "awful" before you've even given the book a chance.

12. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Stories like the Emperor coming back to life with clones, Luke going to the dark side and Han Solo becoming an alcholic don't interest me. At all. [face_plain]

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Please don't turn this thread into an argument over the merits of EU. We've had enough of those already, and no good comes of them.

dark lady- i wrote what i wrote kidding around, but the truth is that it really is a current theory, not sci fi/fantasy. read "elegent universe" by david green or "universe in a nutshell" by stephen hawking. both of them touch on what i said and neither find it far fetched. you'd be suprised, the theory of multiverse's is actually a very current belief in the physics community right now.

Thanks for recommending the popular books, but... I'm a real scientist. ;)

The reason I say the multiverse idea is not a scientific theory is it's not based on observational evidence and it's unverifiable by its very nature. You can speculate about whatever you want, but if there's no data to back it up, it can never be more than a speculation.

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    DLM Edit: As I said, there's no need to continue the EU love/hate fest here.

15. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Thanks for recommending the popular books, but... I'm a real scientist.

The reason I say the multiverse idea is not a scientific theory is it's not based on observational evidence and it's unverifiable by its very nature. You can speculate about whatever you want, but if there's no data to back it up, it can never be more than a speculation.

thanks for the info. i'll take mr. hawkings word on it for now. he is also a "real" scientist.

16. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    This is very off-topic, so send me a PM if you want to discuss it more, but I don't think Hawking ever claims the multiverse is verifiable or anything more than speculation either.

And not to make this too personal, but I thought your post was a bit patronizing and felt insulted. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, though. :)

17. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    He is a really nice guy and doesn't deserve all the crud he gets cause Chewie died in his book
    I admit, I was unfairly harsh on Mr. Salvatore after Chewie's death. Once it was made public that Lucas approved the scene of Chewie's death, I started to realize just how "real" the threat of death makes a character. For years, we've watched and read as laser blasts fly by our heroes...knowing full well no real harm would come to them. And on the rare occasion it did as Leia puts it, "it's not that bad"

Chewie's dead (if you view NJO as the current time reference). Imagine reading "Vector Prime" then "Crystal Star" (as I did)...one minute he's gone the next he's alive and well protecting the kid. So as long as we remember his adventures...he's never really dead (aside from beign a fictional character)

BTW, hypothetical question...since The Muppet Show was filmed before the most recent events of NJO were written, does that mean because NJO is technically the present? And that Chewbacca dies AFTER being on The Muppet Show???

18. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    since The Muppet Show was filmed before the most recent events of NJO were written, does that mean because NJO is technically the present? And that Chewbacca dies AFTER being on The Muppet Show???

This is a strange thing to argue about. ;) But yes, I think you're right. The real life timeline has to supercede the fictional timeline when the two are in conflict.

19. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    In my opinion, no Chewbacca is not dead. I only count the movies as canon.

This really is a case of believe what you want to.

20. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    This is a strange thing to argue about.
    I know...but after trying to read through all these "in-universe" and "out-universe" arguments, I really just wanted to throw a hydrospanner in the works :D

Chewbacca is gone...if you recognize the expanded SW timeline. If not, yes everyone is alive(?) but you're left wondering what'll happen to them.

21. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Chewbacca's death was hated by GL though he didn't have any choice but he consideres the EU canon. Del Ray thought that it would be a great idea to kill one of the OT characters. And well they're correct sure I didn't like it but it made for a great story.

22. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Chewbacca's death was hated by GL though he didn't have any choice

Um... if he didn't want anyone to die, he could have put his foot down any time he wanted. They're his characters--he DOES have a say.

Rick McCallum loves you!

23. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Dev, sweetie, GL is the one who approved the death of Chewie after he nixed killing Luke. :)

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

24. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Why would GL hate Chewies death, if he approved it?

I never saw that Muppets show, but is that episode EU in the first place?

25. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Wasn't the multiverse argument a recent article on MSN.com? And while DLM has a point, it's not conventional science, it is a possibility that deserves some consideration. But as it's not part of the discussion at hand, I digress.

GL gave the okay for one of the OT characters to be killed, to kick off the NJO with a 'bang' as it were. The Big 3 were off limits, and Lando's death was apparently not felt to have the necessary impact. So, Chewbacca was sacrificed to the Gods of Plot and Storytelling. It was tragic, but at the same time uplifitng, for it captured the character of Chewie at his best: One who would sacrifice everything for his honour family, and who would never admit defeat, no matter the odds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.