main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit is Chewbacca gonna be revived in the EU over the next two years?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    See my edit.

I'm sure next time strangers on the Internet want you to tell them how to be happy, they'll ask.

2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I'm one of those people who "will want Chewbacca's EU fate not to be retconned"
    I'm just being realistic.

Don't take things so personally, sorry if I offended you it was not my intention. It's just not normal to get so upset over something so small.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, apparently you're being condescending without even making an effort then.

Back on topic:

Is Chewie going to be revived in the EU?

I hope not, as that wouldn't make much sense.

If he's going to appear in the ST, the options are to set it prior to Vector Prime or just retcon Vector Prime. The latter would suck but would not keep me from enjoying either the film or the book.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The appearance of Chewbacca in the ST is not an issue that demands personal insults, nor policing of others' opinions.

5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The EU may not be widely known to everyone, but for a character death as significant as Chewbacca's, even a lot of people who haven't read Star Wars books have to have heard by now that he's dead. If they bring Chewie back, the fact that he died and his death was erased is bound to receive mention in some TIME magazine article overviewing the sequel trilogy. There's also going to be a lot of sourcebooks and other material in bookstores that people currently assume to be part of Star Wars but will no longer be, and that will create confusion. So yeah, that's a lot of destruction just to bring back a character for out-of-universe considerations.

6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Those who know about Chewies death but don't read EU don't care about his return because *drumroll* they don't read the EU. Time magazine will care about this as much as it cares about the differences between X-men movies and comics (huuuge).

Even some who read EU (me) give nothing about continuity or the NJO.

Outdated sourcebooks are outdated. You can generate a lot of revenue by selling new versions that are up to speed.

7. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    sums it up very well

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    This would be a HUGE mistake. Chewie died in a heroic manner. Bringing him back at this point would be minimizing his sacrifice. I would love to see Chewie back in the copilot seat as much as anyone, but it has been too many years both in real time and galaxy time to make a decision such as this. As much outrage that came about killing off his character, imagine the reaction if he just spontaneously came back.

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    This sacrifice is something only a minor portion of fandom (which is a minor portion of the populace) cares about. If I am generous it is maybe 5% of movie going audience. The rest 95% either don't care or want to see him in the copilot seat.

10. Jae-Dec

May 20, 2013
    That would depend on what the OP means. The title asks if Chewbacca should be revived in the EU. Normally that means you are talking about the books, in which case you have a larger portion of the audience who do know about Chewie's death. Now if you are talking about bringing him back for the upcoming movies, then it's a different situation.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Both his EU and movie return are interconnected. If he appears in the movies he will inevitably appear in the EU, the question only is "which EU".

12. Jae-Dec

May 20, 2013
    I'm afraid I am just going to have to disagree. Abrams could very easily put Chewie in the ST (which I would like to see by the way) without the books reflecting it as well. For instance, the ST does not have to fall during or after the death of Chewie. Also, there has already been talk that the EU (books) will have no bearing on the ST. So for me, in my opinion I would not want Chewie to be brought back in the books, it wouldn't make any sense and as I said earlier would minimize his sacrifice (in the books). However, if they decided to bring him back for the movies I would be all for it. In fact I will be disappointed if they don't.

purplerain likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    If you look at the actors age the ST has to fall after NJO.

There will also definitely be tie-in novels and comics for the ST. No way will they ignore the possibilities that would bring.

But I guess we might get a Star Wars multiverse just like with Marvel, where one universe is the old one and the other universe is the Abrams verse.

purplerain likes this.
  14. Strictly Commercial

Strictly Commercial Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2013
    Well I will hate forever the sequels if Chewbacca's death is deleted because of the sequels. The EU has been part of Star Wars far longer than sequel films have (arguably, as intrinsic to the saga as the films). So it has more right to be respected than anything save for the very first film IMO.

15. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    I think Chewie will be back. And there will be no explanation. His book death will be treated as if it never happened.

I can't imagine they would rob themselves of the opportunity to have the whole original characters (and the marketing dollars that go with it) for the sake of keeping things in sync with the NJO.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Chewbacca's revival, if it does happen in books or novels or Bill & Ted crossover, is one of dozens of hundreds of things that would have to go through a big crazy continuity rewriting storyline if the EU would fit into the ST. So that's just item #456 on the list. I look forward to seeing Chewie again, Del Rey killing the Wookie to promote their big book opening crossover was a flat-out dealbreaker for me when I own, like, 95% of the Bantam books.

purplerain likes this.
  17. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm amongst the crowd that would be happy for the Post-ROTJ EU to split off into its own timeline/alternate universe, if it means I can ignore everything after the NJO. Even if that 'costs' a lot of the good stuff too. I think the later books were woefully mishandled, and jumped the shark the moment they started taking cues from Warhammer 40,000 in the grimdark department and using 'shocking character death of the series' as plot points. Chewie, Anakin, Mara, Jacen. And thats not even getting into the none-main cast characters. THEN there is the blatant pet characters, Saba having become one of the worst. In my opinion, its a mess, and unpleasant to read.

However, unsure if the rumors are true, but supposedly Chewie is indeed in the ST, and i'm happy about that. Considering we don't know if there even will continue to be an ongoing EU with Disney holding the license, I think its a little early to be concerned if a single character's fate. Chewie in the O(riginal)-Verse (as I've started to dub it) will stay dead, since as far as i'm aware Crucible is pretty much 'the end'? We don't know if novels will be written, nor how many comics, for the ST-Verse.

I think its a tad overly optimistic to believe the ST will have any ties (aside from perhaps a few shared characters, cameos, or simple nods) to the current EU, as the opening scrawl would have to be about three hours long for a vague outline, and rather than 3D glasses and a leaflet they would hand you reading glasses and the Essential Readers Companion. The EU 'canon' is going to have very little bearing on the ST, i'm almost positive.

18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I think it's pretty much guaranteed that Chewie will be in EP7. Especially since Han is. It's like asking if the Falcon will be in the EP7.

You people honestly believe LFL and Disney will not put the Wookiee in the film just because he was killed in a book that came out 10 years ago, and one that a majority of the viewing audience haven't read?

I love you people. I really do.

Your so much fun.

purplerain likes this.
  19. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  20. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Just like chewing tobacco, Sernpidal really did spit Chewie out...

21. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    How about you use continuity to save continuity?

Flow-walking? [face_clown]

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Remember the ancient rules:

No body = no death
    Body doesn't always equal death!
    On-screen disintegration doesn't always equal death!

There's always trapdoors!

23. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Chewbacca got absorbed into the Nexus.

24. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    "Time planets are the fire in which we burn."

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You read it here first - the new enemy is.....

Dark Chewbacca!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.