main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit is Chewbacca gonna be revived in the EU over the next two years?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    It would be hilarious if "Dark Chewbacca", in his first appearance in Episode VII, turned to the camera, and...

Spoke in English! "Guess what I have been learning these past 20 odd years!" 8-}

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    How do you depict Dark Chewbacca with a goatee?​

3. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    ...or Chewbacca pulls his 'head' off, revealing Peter Mayhew.

"Chewbacca" says to Han Solo, sorry mate, I never really was a Wookie ... I was just an undercover agent for about 40 years...

4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    He's actually just the actor in a loincloth. See, he's evil because he's shaved.

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Or Chewbacca was actually the evil twin/clone all along!

6. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    His name would have to include a double vowel, not a double consonant. [face_shhh]

Remember the Zahnian system...

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Chewie will appear in a cameo just like the rest of the Big Three - he'll be there just long enough to wish his son Lumpy good luck flying with Danny Solo on the Century Honey Badger.

DelRiego and Bib Fartuna like this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Jimmy Solo plz

Grey1 and Bib Fartuna like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    full on James T. Kirk / Jean-Luc Picard absorption or plot-convenient "echo" ala Guinan?

10. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    ...and I can just imagine Lando. Hey Guinan, let's make some Whoopi! ;)

11. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

If it's just a tiny cameo, that would open an excellent opportunity for a EU retcon: "A Chewbacca lookalike was seen on Episode VII, but he was actually a hand puppet made by Han to cope with a depression relapse" or "A Wookiee was briefly shown next to Han in Episode VII, his name was Mike and was filling a temp position as copilot of the Falcon, he was then discovered by the Holo industry and went on to star in a historic holodocumentary about the life and times of Chewbacca, whom he resembled greatly."

Fixed in advance.

BigAl6ft6 and blackmyron like this.
  12. Darth Mird'ika

Darth Mird'ika Jedi Padawan

Sep 11, 2013
    At the last second Chewie grabbed on to the Falcon's trailer hitch and held on through space til the Falcon landed again. Not wanting to deal with a grieving, over-emotional Han, Chewbacca goes into hiding for 20 years only to return cuz he wants a piece of the new Disney action/money.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    After twenty years of death, Han Solo finds an innocent Wookiee and pulls a "Jimmy Stewart in Vertigo" on him.

14. Strictly Commercial

Strictly Commercial Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2013
    I don't recall anyone saying they think it will be that way, just that they will dislike an EU retcon.

15. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Oh! Oh! Oh! How about this?

He spent a decade fighting his way back from the afterlife to the land of the living to bring Anakin Solo back to his family. Because he's Chewbacca.

BigAl6ft6, Riven_JTAC and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    Any chance to wipe away the stupid stupid Yuuzhan Vong should be taken IMO. Such a stupid editorial direction.

BigAl6ft6 and Riven_JTAC like this.
  17. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I am actually surprised at how unpopular this opinion is. But, know this Ezekial... I am with you.

18. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I think Chewbacca's death isn't hated as much because, while he was a popular character, it was actually kind of refreshing to finally see come consequences for the Heroes of Yavin's constant temptings of fate. But then Del Rey kept on killing people. And killing people. And killing people.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Chewbacca was largely reduced to plot furniture. In the last novel prior to Vector Prime, he wasn't even that. He didn't show up once.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Thirded. This is coming from someone who has (probably) the entire Bantam run cover to cover. Drop moon on wookie and I bounced and 80% of my sporadic Del Rey output is almost entirely PT novels and barely any post ROTJ.

21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Exactly. It was a way to up the stakes without even drastically altering the character lineup of the novels. Everyone likes Chewbacca, but he doesn't actually have much of a presence outside of a visual/aural medium like film.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Personally, I think the NJO was pretty wise with the two deaths. Chewbacca was a good death for the first book of the series because whether he died in that book or not would not have influenced the plot of future books in any way except negative ones.

If Chewbacca didn't die, Anakin Solo wouldn't have been interesting to people, because his whole arc is driven by guilt over Chewie's death. Maybe folks that got invested in Anakin only for him to die would consider that a good thing, though.

Anakin's death was much more substantial but also important in the sense that it is the primary mover for these:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Jaina wouldn't be Sword of the Jedi, and Jacen wouldn't realize his destiny against Onimi, without Anakin's death inducing in them character development in their response to it.

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Do you think Disney would green light a series like NJO, in the future?

24. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Dark Journey, Ugh

25. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    As it stands Disney have three options.

1. Ignore the EU entirely, Chewbacca hangs around with all new Solo children Angus and Alex or whatever.

2. Conform with EU, have the Big Three appear and then mention that Chewbacca died at some point so as not to confuse people that haven't read Vector Prime.

3. Big Three don't appear at all.

The third is my preference, the first is what is going to happen with almost 100% certainty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.