main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit is Chewbacca gonna be revived in the EU over the next two years?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Doubt it. Would be nice but doubt it.

DigitalMessiah What no love for Borsk Fey'lya and Admiral Ackbar's deaths? [face_shame_on_you]

2. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    On once upon a time, one of the writers wanted to kill off a character, but Disney vetoed, they said, they want their heroes to have Happy Endings.
    and as Bob Iger said they have complete creative control over the Star Wars universe.

3. Strictly Commercial

Strictly Commercial Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2013
    Well to be fair, that property is thematically different than Star Wars. "There is no death, there is the Force" is a consistent philosophical outgrowth from what the films created. The idea of death holding no power in comparison to fear is one of Star Wars' most powerful ideas, and I've never understood why the idea of the characters always getting a sunset send off was ever intrinsic to Star Wars. It is true that there is a happy ending to the ultimate culmination of the series, but that ending is powerful only because of the sacrifice and pain involved in getting there. I doubt that will change, since Disney is not limited to the fairy tale company it started as many decades ago.

Zorrixor likes this.
  4. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Am I the only one that wonders what exactly would they have Chewbacca doing, even if he was somehow in Episode VII?

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm hopeful that Crix Madine is brought back. He went way too soon. Wasted character.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Probably about as much as he does in the other movies, to be fair. Which is to say, be awesome even if he doesn't do a damn thing except sit there and growl every once in awhile.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    This time, Chewbacca is going to be crushed by a planet.

Strictly Commercial likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The only thing that could plausibly kill Chewbacca would be Chewbacca. So, like, Mirror Universe Chewbacca with the goatee and everything.

Zorrixor likes this.
  9. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    This fit's so perfectly with this discussion.

From the Dark Empire '95 collection's Forward by Kevin J Anderson :

"When you read Dark Empire , or any of the other novels, remember that although Lucasfilm has approved them, these are our sequels, not George Lucas'. If Lucasfilm ever makes films that take place after Return of the Jedi, they will be George Lucas' own creations, probably with no connection to anything we have written."

do you honestly think the majority of people that see the movie have any idea that chewbacca was killed off in a book? If you're waffling over a decision the answer is no.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    They might considering it was a major news story back in 1999.

Contessa likes this.
  11. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008

i would have to say Captain america's "Death" in 2007 was probably even a bigger story and he was revived in less then 2 years.
    i never heard anything about chewie dying in 99, in fact even though i'm a die hard star wars fan i never knew he died untill i read it on the internet a couple years ago. I don't think anyone who Isn't a big fan of the EU would know about it.

12. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    I hope to god that this is a joke lol

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    R.A. Salvatore received death threats so most likely.

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  15. TheJediBrah

Oct 6, 2013
    We have very different definitions of "Major news story"

but fair to play to you

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    If it's in the national news and a Washington Post article is picked up by local newspapers I consider that a significant story.

17. TheJediBrah

Oct 6, 2013
    I noticed

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Let's get down to brass tacks: Chewbacca was killed off in a Star Wars novel that came out about 15 years ago. The people who remember that Chewie is supposed to be dead honestly boils down to 67% of TFN board members and about 100 people outside of the TFN boards and half of those people have probably have accounts for the TFN boards that they never bothered to click on the "activation" link. And Leeland Chee. Maybe.

jacktherack and DoubleSith like this.
  19. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    When I read what ages of actors/actress they were looking for, I figured at least NJO would be thrown out the window. Hell, I the YJK books most likely would be thrown out as well.

20. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    My thing is, why would Chewbacca need to be revived?

21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Because JJ Abrams is an OT fanboy more interested in reliving his childhood nostalgia than in telling an original story?

Strictly Commercial and DelRiego like this.
  22. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Erm, at this juncture Chewbacca living is the original tale. Chewie's "death by planet" has already been done. Let the Wookiee win.

BigAl6ft6 and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  23. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Chewie's death is easy to explain. He never actually died. We never saw a body.

Force Smuggler, Zorrixor and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Exactly. Chewie is clearly the new villain.

When there's not a body, and everyone thinks you're dead... you always come back pissed, often with a badass eyepatch, and wanting revenge on your former so-called "friends".

[​IMG]

Chewie pulling Han's arms off was obviously Lucas's vision from the start.

The moment he vetoed Luke's death in Vector Prime, he saw the solution to Chewbacca's "life debt" and the start of his hunt to track down all those who use "cultural reasons" to defend the legalised slavery of Wookiees.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I am Chewbacca of Bad-Ass, surrender or have your arms pulled off!

Zorrixor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.