Is classic literature dead. Please explain your vote.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Knight1192, Oct 5, 2001.

?

Is classic literature dead. Please explain your vote.

Poll closed Oct 12, 2001.
Yes 3 vote(s) 6.8%
No 22 vote(s) 50.0%
Not yet, but it's getting there 6 vote(s) 13.6%
Maybe, I'm not sure 2 vote(s) 4.5%
I only read it because my teacher forces it on me 4 vote(s) 9.1%
That stuff's too slow, it was dead long before I was born 7 vote(s) 15.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arabwel Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have been reading classic literature since elementary school. By my own choice. For a sample, I read "To Kill A Mockigbird" (Unfortunately a translation) when I was ten, and read Hugo's Les Misetrables after it. I have read since I was four, and I have read those classics for a long time. Some of them I have found really dull, but I that's just my opinion.

I read classical scifi like Asimov and Dune also in elemenarty school, as well as dfamous FInnish writers, like MIka Waltari. I have been considered a geek, but I do not care.

What I want to say, is that classical literature will never die. It will evolve, but it will not die. One of my greatest hopes is that something I would write would once be considered a classic, because becoming an author is my greatest hope. But I know this won't happen. *End megalomaniac mode*

I say again. I do not consider classics to be dead. They're just evolving.

Ara
    (Just read Artemis FOwl... wow. Thinking of the class where she'll read 1984.. cool.)
  2. Promethium Jedi Padawan

It depends on your definition of classic literature. If you mean the University created 'literary' novels, yes.
  3. I-poodoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes Classic Lit is dead...it's like with Shakespeare most everyone knows how his stories go without having to crawl through the Elizabethan English.

Also I thought his plots were pretty dirivitive, I don't know if that's because so much stuff is based upon Romeo and Juliet or Macbeth, but his stories don't surprise me when I'm forced to read them.
    What I'm trying to say is in my book Shkespeare isn't god's gift to Literature. Don't get me wrong he's a good writer, but he's not the greatest that ever lived.

Also being forced to read classic lit. may have a negative effect. I think forcing someone to read something when they are not ready or willing to do it is absolutely barbaric.
    Besides it makes it seem like being forced to drink Castor oil...it may be good for you but it tastes horrible on the way down.
    Like when I had to read the fellowship of the Ring in 9th grade for English class..at that point I was not ready nor willing to read through Tolkien, and subsequently hated it. But now with the movie coming out and being older and more mature I feel I'm ready to crawl through the only interesting to Tolkien elf/dwarf/orcsongs and cumbersome descriptions again.
  4. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  5. Arabwel Jedi Knight

star 2
    I agree on the point of forcing... I had to read Sitsemän Veljestä, The Seven Brothers, our... is it called a national novel? Whatever... And I didn't like it. It's a good book, but not the style I prefer. So I read the 500+ pages in half an hour in a buss going home...

Ara
    (Oddball of the sickest kind, slightly psychotic and stuff...)
  6. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Up. One more day to go folks. Get your votes counted and post your views on the subject. We've got a good look at how folks feel on this, lets keep it up.
  7. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Up, and two hours. Get those votes counted and posts in.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.