main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is classical music copywrited.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by beezel26, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I was wondering, I wanted to use it in a project I was doing and is Mozart public domain?

I was also going to use George Gershwins Rhapsody in Blue but is that too recent.

2. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    Most of the times the music is free, but the performance is not. If YOU or someone you know performs Mozart, it's ok. But you can't use the London Symphony Orchestra (or whatever) performance of it, because that is copyrighted.

3. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Copyright on the work itself ends 70 years after the creator dies.

4. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    But you probably still have someone out there to worry about.

5. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Wasn't it J.R.R. Tolkien's son that made a fuss about the production of LOTR? Seems to me there were some copyright issues there because Tolkien had passed them to his kid or something. Just wondering. Ok I'll go back to my corner now. :)

6. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Here's a great case in point:

The guys who did that JibJab "This Land..." cartoon... The family of Arlo Guthrie, the guy who did the original song, jumped up screaming that they wanted royalties. Then, it suddenly came to light that the copyright had expired, so it's now public domain.

That put a swift end to that case.

Mind you, J-Solo is exactly right. The music itself is public domain, but a particular performance is still covered under another copyright.

So, if those guys had actually used a recording of Guthrie's original song, they would have been in trouble.

In totally unrelated news: My grandparents were friends of Arlo Guthrie... Don't know how or why...

7. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Jeez Durb, you always gotta know everybody.

But yeah, find a friend or some people willing to do the performance for you, and you're golden.

8. Jedi-Knight_Uk

Jedi-Knight_Uk Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2005

So does that mean we can't use London Symphony Ochestra music ( i.e Songs from our SW sound tracks) on our fan films, since that would be a violation of that copywright.

Not entirelly sure, so thats why i asked :D
    and that doesnt make me a dumbass for asking

9. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    So does that mean we can't use London Symphony Ochestra music ( i.e Songs from our SW sound tracks) on our fan films, since that would be a violation of that copywright.

Yes it's a violation of copyright, but Lucasfilm effectively gives tacet approval to it being used, so long as certain boundaries aren't crossed - like making money from it for instance.

On top of that you can't use Williams score if someone else performs it, for profit because it's copyright hasn't expired. Unless you get (ie. pay for) permission.

10. Jedi-Knight_Uk

Jedi-Knight_Uk Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2005
    Phew

Cos my Anime, has loads of song clips from my ESB Soundtrack, well good to kno that Lucas is a lil lax with us fans.

Must be the only Company i kno that embrances the whole fan thing.

11. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Doesn't really 'embrace' it. Just doesn't enforce the unenforcable.

Basically: Don't make money, and don't claim it as yours.

12. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    Man, what would happen if GL suddenly decided to crack down on us. I mean, this is my life. ;)

13. Joviwan-Kenobi

Joviwan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2004
    We'd wish to go home, and rethink our life?

14. Sith-Lord_James

Sith-Lord_James Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Wasn't it J.R.R. Tolkien's son that made a fuss about the production of LOTR? Seems to me there were some copyright issues there because Tolkien had passed them to his kid or something. Just wondering. Ok I'll go back to my corner now.

I think you're talkin' about that old fart, Saul Zaentz. I remember hearing that, since he somehow got ahold of the Lord of the Rings copyright, he was the one putting up a fuss.

15. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Ah...maybe that was it. I just remember hearing about some guy going off on a legal rampage and to me it sounded stupid lol. But I never really got the whole story. :)

16. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    I mean, this is my life.

Dunno. Guess you could make something original, perhaps?

17. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    Doesn't really 'embrace' it.

His participation in Atomfilms Fan Film Awards says otherwise.

Mickey Mouse is soon to be public domain. Disney is trying to find a way out of it.

18. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Hmm, Mickey with a lightsaber...

19. FX_guy

FX_guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2002
    Mickey would have become public domain already, but Disney succesfully got the Sonny Bono Copyright Extension Act signed into law, adding another 20 years to their ownership (and everyone else's: the original copyright expiration date of "author's death +50 years" rule is now +70.)

Opponents of law filed a suit in an attempt to have it declared unconstitutional - the case went all the way to the Supreme Court in 2002, but was upheld.

20. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Oh well, no Jedi Mickey. Guess I'll have to call Hasbro and cancel the figures.

21. Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1998
    beezel26 posted on 3/9/05 4:25am
    I was wondering, I wanted to use it in a project I was doing and is Mozart public domain?

I was also going to use George Gershwins Rhapsody in Blue but is that too recent.
    [hr][/blockquote] [/color]

[color=blue]I wouldn't use [i]Rhapsody In Blue[/i] unless you're going to use all 17 minutes of it. If this is going to be a student project or obscure project, you really don't need anything more than to cite the resources and/or pieces used.[/color]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.